General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Is this even a good idea?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:53 am

Yes
43%
No
No votes
All hail the smashed trout! (this is a yes!)
57%
I gargle small pieces of cheese (this is a no!).
No votes

Total votes: 7
eos
level2
level2

Just an idea: Small tournament

Postby eos » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:53 am

w00t, my first post! Sorry...

Anyhow, I am a mac, and an avid fan of DW and MW (when the mac version comes out :evil: hurry up ambrosia!). I took a look at a video on YouTube the other day and noticed there were eight colors! This gave me an idea: The Eight point star tourney...

On day one, each player is assigned a color. They are then divided into two random but equal groups. These two groups play a domination game, and the players who come last in both games are eliminated. The rest are reshuffled into two new groups.

Day 2: The new groups play different games: Group 1 play KOTH, while group 2 play CTS. Again, the losers are eliminated and the rest reshuffled.

Day 3: The new groups both play blitz. The losers are eliminated. We now have two players left, for the less mathematically apt of you.

Day 4: Final game: A 2 player rocket riot. Whoever wins this one is the tourney champion!

Any suggestions/comments/flames below please.
Feud
level5
level5

Re: Just an idea: Small tournament

Postby Feud » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:31 am

eos wrote:Anyhow, I am a mac, and an avid fan of DW and MW

Oh crap, they've gone sentient...
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:40 am

I heard that!

wait, what do you mean?
My other account is Steve Jobs!
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:23 am

Wait, now I get it. Very funny.

Could we actually talk about the tourney idea and stop trying to derail topics at birth?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:11 pm

eos wrote:Could we actually talk about the tourney idea and stop trying to derail topics at birth?

You fool! Do you have any idea of what you might have unleashed?

Anyway, I have no interest in participating in a tourney at this point, but if you get enough people you can go ahead and organize it yourself.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:32 pm

I can see this tournament going badly, if only because RR is a pure matter of "Biggest Jerk Wins" and 2p RR matches are ridiculously long because of it.
Cyan.
level3
level3

Postby Cyan. » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:36 pm

I agree with jelco here rr and blitz... :P , kidding
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:13 pm

I understand. It was only an idea anyway.

Please derail this topic at will. This is not sarcasm! It isn't! please!

edit: And in response to Jelcos diagram question, yes I do have one. Trouble is, I'm a newb (or noob, depending on your P.O.V) and have no idea how to get the damn things on here. Help?
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:20 pm

If I understand correctly, we start with 8 players. These 8 players play two separate 4-player matches, the losers of each are eliminated (ie the two people who come in last place).
The remaining 6 play two separate 3-player matches, the losers are eliminated.
4 players left, they play two separate duels, losers eliminated.
The remaining 2 play a duel to decide the overall winner.

Edit: I'd be up for some kind of tournament if it was limited to CTS/Dom/KotH, and this format would be nice at least in that we'd get some games with higher playercounts. It'd be interesting to see how a 4-player map could be made more 'fair' competitively though... no crates, and have players attempt to be diplomatic in their attacks, to some extent? In a way it might work out well because as experienced players we understand when it's counterproductive to focus all your attacks on one player (eg in Monument to the Heavens), whereas in normal games you can often be crippled by a newbie focusing all their troops on you, but then of course they are wiped out because they didn't bother to capture any of the other islands.
Last edited by MarvintheParanoidAndroid on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks Marv.

edit: In response to your massive edit Marv, with a bit of editing I think I can limit the tournament. Thanks to everyone for ensuring I didn't screw up badly. I'll probably post rules, games and signups after Ambrosia finish the Mac edition*

*(god from Monty Python and the holy grail appears) GET ON WITH IT!!! (disappears in a puff of logic).
eos
level2
level2

Postby eos » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:12 pm

Okay, update. I've taken all your advice and modified the tourney slightly. The four-player rounds are still Dom, but the three-player ones are now K.O.T.H and the two-player ones C.T.S. It's the final, however, where it all falls down.
As Mas pointed out, two player rocket riot is just a case of sheer sadism. So, I had two new ideas on how to change it. Either:
A: play a game of R.R without powerups.
B: or to choose a different game mode.
With option two, I'm thinking about using a map editor to create a Blitz with the FWs (and maybe the EWs) thrown in.
Well?

edit: w00t, 2X p0sT, 1 @m L337!

Ahem. Sorry.

Return to “General”