Multiwinia Xfire chat?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

User avatar
Xocrates
level5
level5
Posts: 5262
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Postby Xocrates » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:36 pm

I got accepted to a beta (Darwinia's vista patch) within about a week of signing on these forums. And although I would expect that was part of the reason I was accepted into Multiwinia's Beta, it does go to show that IV doesn't just go for the regulars.

Indeed, Multwinia got many testers among the non-regulars, however I believe the first batch was almost exclusively regulars (or at least, those were the most active ones).

Also, I think Multiwinia got about 250 testers during its run, I would be terribly surprised if Subversion would only get 100-120 (or something). Right now I theorize those are going to be the first batch, with others added later, so anyone should have a fair chance of getting in the beta.
Mattu
level1
level1
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:18 am
Location: MA, USA
Contact:

Postby Mattu » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:56 am

RabidZombie wrote:
Mattu wrote:I think Introversion's intentions are good, but it is unfortunate that the beta testing slots are balanced as they are. I don't say this because I believe they should have a brand new batch of testers and throw away all the ones from the past that they have worked with, but rather because it is difficult to assess their fans simply from the community and previous beta testers. There is a difference between fans and fanboys after all, no offense.


I'd like to point out that, in the past, the number of non-regulars in the beta test has been quite high. But as you'd expect, many simply don't help at all. Not a single post. However, Introversion get a great response from the regulars who submit bug reports and are often around on the forum to help reproduce bugs and be available for games. They're also easy to communicate with on IRC, unlike those people who signed up for the beta test.

There's a reason why people who have beta tested in the past are more likely to get a place. They're considerably more likely to be helpful.

Of course, if you really want to beta test, why don't you try posting in the forum a bit, hang out in IRC, and try registering for the beta test (I expect when the test comes around, the good old sign up form will make an appearance).


It's not like my life is depending on beta testing the game or anything, I just was making a point that simply because people have beta tested before doesn't mean they are more qualified than other people, just that they are more battle hardened. The act of inviting mostly beta testers from before is good, assuming every beta tester from previous betas was good at doing what they were meant to, and if you claim that a lot weren't, well that's a bit contradictory.

The point is moot perhaps, and I know it is a tough thing to say "let more new people in" when really I just mean, "give other people a shot too". I mean, a ratio of 5 to 1 for previous beta testers and new beta tester hopefuls is a bit outbalanced. I guess that's my main concern.

The only real point to be made here is IV is doing what they deem appropriate, and if it works for them, then good. I was merely lending my own personal thoughts to the situation. Things never get nice when companies create small groups of people who have an in to help shape their games. You often see a certain direction get taken with products and balancing, and that can deter from the goal of expanding your market.

If the only people that play your game are 5 year old girls, it's going to be a whole lot more pink and glittery than if you opened up your horizons. That's the best analogy I can come up with at 1 in the morning. :P

As far as sticking around the forums more often and hanging out in IRC, well, I'd love to but like I said before I literally just don't have the time. I currently have three finals I am studying for, 3 end of semester projects, haptics API feedback to write up, and a website to design by Christmas. Then when winter break hits, I'll be developing a game of my own probably near full-time. I get limited time to play games, but when I do, I do it well. ;D And for IRC, well, I am on a laptop that goes everywhere with me throughout the day, and gets swapped from Mac OS X to Windows XP back and forth constantly. Unless you could use a few dozen more disconnect/reconnect message a day, I think it's really more hassle than it's worth for me right now.
RabidZombie
level5
level5
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:24 am

Mattu wrote:
RabidZombie wrote:I'd like to point out that, in the past, the number of non-regulars in the beta test has been quite high. But as you'd expect, many simply don't help at all. Not a single post. However, Introversion get a great response from the regulars who submit bug reports and are often around on the forum to help reproduce bugs and be available for games. They're also easy to communicate with on IRC, unlike those people who signed up for the beta test.

There's a reason why people who have beta tested in the past are more likely to get a place. They're considerably more likely to be helpful.

Of course, if you really want to beta test, why don't you try posting in the forum a bit, hang out in IRC, and try registering for the beta test (I expect when the test comes around, the good old sign up form will make an appearance).


It's not like my life is depending on beta testing the game or anything, I just was making a point that simply because people have beta tested before doesn't mean they are more qualified than other people, just that they are more battle hardened. The act of inviting mostly beta testers from before is good, assuming every beta tester from previous betas was good at doing what they were meant to, and if you claim that a lot weren't, well that's a bit contradictory.

The point is moot perhaps, and I know it is a tough thing to say "let more new people in" when really I just mean, "give other people a shot too". I mean, a ratio of 5 to 1 for previous beta testers and new beta tester hopefuls is a bit outbalanced. I guess that's my main concern.


First of all, people who weren't active in the beta test generally aren't reinvited. Why would Introversion reinvite people they know not to be helpful? Also, the ratio may start close to that, but as has been already said, more people are added often, which usually aren't regulars.

If the only people that play your game are 5 year old girls, it's going to be a whole lot more pink and glittery than if you opened up your horizons. That's the best analogy I can come up with at 1 in the morning. :P


Are you called all of us 5 year old girls!? :evil:
I agree, we are. which is why the beta test should be opened to new comers. However I think the current amount invited is enough.

As far as sticking around the forums more often and hanging out in IRC, well, I'd love to but like I said before I literally just don't have the time. I currently have three finals I am studying for, 3 end of semester projects, haptics API feedback to write up, and a website to design by Christmas. Then when winter break hits, I'll be developing a game of my own probably near full-time. I get limited time to play games, but when I do, I do it well. ;D And for IRC, well, I am on a laptop that goes everywhere with me throughout the day, and gets swapped from Mac OS X to Windows XP back and forth constantly. Unless you could use a few dozen more disconnect/reconnect message a day, I think it's really more hassle than it's worth for me right now.


Fair enough.
Last edited by RabidZombie on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacebug
level1
level1
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:00 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Postby spacebug » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:07 am

The start of the chat: (btw the chat started about 5 minutes late in case anyone wonders why there isn't much here)

Introversion Tom (introversiontom): Hello everyone
[Xfire] Chatteox (chatteox): Helo everyone and welcome to the chat with Tom and Chris from Introversion! They're going to go ahead and introduce themselves and then they'll start taking your questiosn
Introversion Tom (introversiontom): Yes, hello. I'm Tom from introversion, I'm commercial director - I suppose you could say I'm the money man
abandon22: Hello, i'm Chris Delay and i'm the Creative Director of Introversion, which means Im the principle designer and programmer on all our games
Introversion Tom (introversiontom): =EAF= Master (Tom) (tommy0101): how long was this game in development?

If you mean multiwinia - 2 years
Introversion Tom (introversiontom): AgentX (agentx24): what is the progress on chronometer? have channel 4 given the green light?
abandon22: Multi Kimoinia. (barefootedmonk): How did you come up with the idea for Multiwinia and Darwinia?

Darwinia was strongly inspired by Tron for it's visual look, and from a games point of view we were inspired heavily by Cannon Fodder and Syndicate of course :)
abandon22: RabidZombie (rabidzombie): Why didn't you go along with the whole "Doom sprites as charecters" idea?

They were copyrighted :)
Introversion Tom (introversiontom): AgentX (agentx24): what is the progress on chronometer? have channel 4 given the green light?

We're still working thrings through with C4. It's by no means a guaranteed deal, especially in the current climate. However it's a great game idea and there are many other partners that we could work with.
abandon22: Iacto/Sophos (iacto): Which game have you enjoyed making the most?

Actually I enjoyed making Defcon the most, it was 12 months of really intensive work from start to finish, and a great game at the end
abandon22: itzmattu (itzmattu): Hello Introversion and XFire!....[now you're up to where the first poster was]
spacebug
level1
level1
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:00 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Postby spacebug » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:29 am

jelco wrote:I later realized the anthology doesn't include Multiwinia


I think it does. I know the Anthology in the introversion store doesn't include Multiwinia, but the blurb for this chat kept saying "Introversion Anthology Tins Featuring all four Introversion Games"

I'm really hoping I'm right because I'm looking forward to giving my own prize copy of Multiwinia to a friend and having someone else in this timezone to play with!

Congratulations to the other winners.

I liked how Master Tom won a prize despite this little bit of conversation from the unofficial chatter room (after Chatteox accidentally pasted a question into the wrong window)

=EAF= Master (Tom) (tommy0101): do you think chatteox fails? lol
* =36ID=1LT.Kolden (mattneed) laughs at chatteox
Pixel (zolga): lmao
lithilk (zangbandtk): There is a lot of mistakes going on here
#iNeX Apexi (aawarrent): i think rabidzombie is going to win
€ /|\ ù § ä ? (emusan): lol
RabidZombie (rabidzombie): :D
MarvintheParanoidAndroid (paranoidandroid42): haha, rabidzombie wants us beta testers to be praised
Aldaris (ari365): I can't join anything.
Multi Kimoinia. (barefootedmonk): Rabidzombie is the best
[Xfire] Chatteox (chatteox): Hey! I don't fail.
spacebug
level1
level1
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:00 am
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Postby spacebug » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:00 am

Also nice chat transcript on a website is here
User avatar
rainingblood
level1
level1
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:23 pm
Location: Lyon
Contact:

Postby rainingblood » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:04 pm

does anyone know who won the xfire prizes ? not for the chat, but the other contest :)
Image
RabidZombie
level5
level5
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:17 pm

No news yet. D:
User avatar
Phelanpt
level5
level5
Posts: 1837
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:20 am
Location: Portugal

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:06 am

spacebug wrote:
jelco wrote:I later realized the anthology doesn't include Multiwinia


I think it does. I know the Anthology in the introversion store doesn't include Multiwinia, but the blurb for this chat kept saying "Introversion Anthology Tins Featuring all four Introversion Games"

I'm really hoping I'm right because I'm looking forward to giving my own prize copy of Multiwinia to a friend and having someone else in this timezone to play with!


Now it does!

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests