matching system

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

Cyan.
level3
level3

matching system

Postby Cyan. » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:00 am

Lately I am under the impression that I have more trouble defeating a cpu enemy then a real player. This would be a good thing, wasn't it that I gave up playing against cpu because I won most of the time, if not always, and that hasn't changed so much. Well wha I really wanted to ask is can someone please make 3 servers for 3 difficult settings?

Like a server for new players, not the demo ones, a server for medium good players and a server for advanced players, this could work like a kind of matching system where someone asked for earlier. This way, hopefully, no one gets slaughtered unnessecary and we all have more fun I think.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:45 am

As you mentioned, this has already been suggested several times before.

Also, your proposed feature relies on the honour system which has obvious flaws.

"Geez, I'm winning a lot of the new server, maybe I should go to the Medium server"
*Gets pwned on Medium server*
"Screw this, I'm going back to the easy server"
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:19 am

Given the ladder that Jelco is working on, I wonder if it would be possible for the ladder to be in communication with the Dedwinia servers. If this is possible, a server may be able to ban people above or below a certain rating. This might give you what you want.

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:34 am

If jelco exports the rankings in a usable format (say, a text file with KeyID and Ranking on every line), that certainly can be done.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:58 pm

Rather than banning - which could be very limiting if player numbers don't pick up much - if the Dedwinia servers could simply report ladder rankings when a player logs in, that'd leave the decision to play or not to them.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:30 pm

Cooper42 wrote:Rather than banning - which could be very limiting if player numbers don't pick up much - if the Dedwinia servers could simply report ladder rankings when a player logs in, that'd leave the decision to play or not to them.

The problem mentioned above is that you could create a "newb" server, a "middle range" server, and an "elite" server, but there is nothing to prevent someone from getting good on the newb server, getting his ass kicked on the middle server, and going back to pounding on newbs. Sure, newbs could choose not to play against this person, but if he is not kicked from the server, then there is little that they can do. Thus, having a real newb server, from which people with higher rankings are kicked, would make sense. You might not need that for the middle range server -- anyone can play! However, for the elite server, it would be appropriate to ban newbs, as really good players want a challenge, not some newb to stomp on.

Furthermore, these would only account for a few of the servers out there, so I see no reason not to implement such a system, if it is possible (which bert seems to indicate might be the case).

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 pm

Clearly, you haven't read the PublicMessage documentation :)
And also not the Rating documentation; what you suggest is what All Star Mode is doing (and where it would fail currently, because indeed, pushing people to spectator mode is a bit problematic right now for lack of client support.)
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:21 pm

AllStarMode sounds awesome. I hope it can do what I expect of it. ;)

I'd really like to see better scripting capabilities in Dedwinia more than anything else though. I had an idea of what I could do with it. Unfortunately, I've completely forgotten what it was!

Also, Jelco, get on IRC. ;)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:21 pm

jelco wrote:PublicMessage would still require a condition that makes sure the rank for the correct player is named, and it would also either require a variable setting for PublicMessage or a giant list of ifs (which isn't even in there). ;)
Umm, no. "PublicMessage <keyID> <Player with that keyID> has a rank of X" is all that is needed. When that player joins, the message is displayed.

jelco wrote:Yes, I knew about AllStarMode, I just couldn't remember the name. Does it work for lowest ranking players too, by the way?
No, but nothing prevents you from feeding it negative scores :)

RabidZombie: the problem with scripting is that there's just not that much state to work with.

Return to “General”