Where did those kites go?

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

MikeyTWolf
level0

Where did those kites go?

Postby MikeyTWolf » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:47 pm

OMG KITE NERF.

Seriously, has ANYONE seen a kite launched in Multiwinia? I've yet to see a single one of those cute little yellow boxes.

I mean, it's not like as if they don't have the time to do it is it? Or the souls to find. Even next to some unused souls from a Mystical Forest would do.

Also, it would be nice to see a kite for every, what, ten or so deaths? Just light up the entire sky with pretty sorrowful lights everytime the nukes go out...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:02 pm

Kite are from a more spiritual time in Darwinia's past, when DGs were innocent, and had time to mourn the dead. Those days are long past, and souls float unremarked.

xander
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:57 pm

Also, one word: performance. ;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:18 pm

More words: Having Multiwinians standing around making kites isn't really the best idea in the middle of a battle.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:26 pm

Even more words: It's not uncommon to hit 1000 kills in a game, so when you figure in up to four people playing having one kite for every ten kills would quickly turn the games into slide shows.
MikeyTWolf
level0

Postby MikeyTWolf » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:36 pm

Pff.

"Upgrade Cavemen" springs to mind. XD

Plus they could gather recon of the surrounding area simultaneously. :wink:

Also, obviously the limit is negotiable. MW must be idle for X seconds, near a soul, not in formation + 25 kills?
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Feud wrote:Even more words: It's not uncommon to hit 1000 kills in a game, so when you figure in up to four people playing having one kite for every ten kills would quickly turn the games into slide shows.

jelco wrote:one word: performance

;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:16 pm

jelco wrote:
Feud wrote:Even more words: It's not uncommon to hit 1000 kills in a game, so when you figure in up to four people playing having one kite for every ten kills would quickly turn the games into slide shows.

jelco wrote:one word: performance

;)

I didn't say it was original, just "even more words".
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:01 pm

xander's reason is best anyway :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:19 pm

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:xander's reason is best anyway :P

My reasons are always the best. ;)

Actually, there are two possible ways of thinking about the reason: in game justification, and technical justification. From a technical standpoint, I don't actually see a problem with kites. In Darwinia, there might be three or four kites launched by a large group of DGs, and kite launches require that the DGs have plenty of time standing around without doing much of anything else. In Multiwinia, DGs almost never stand around doing nothing (they are in a formation, or in battle, or on their way to battle). Thus, from a technical standpoint, there is no reason that kites could not be included.

From an aesthetic standpoint, it might be nice if they were included, but they would be rare -- again, there is not much time for DGs to mourn. Given that there are no kites at all, one can explain that in-game by suggesting that kites represent a more civilized time in Darwinia's history, and that modern DGs, for all of their technical advancements, are far less civilized.

xander
Qjet
level1
level1

Postby Qjet » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:31 pm

it's not necessarily a bad idea. When i started playing multiwinia i was amazed at how much there in a game, throwing in things like kites is just another little morsel for people to snack on.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:19 am

Maybe kites could do something more sinister? I'm thinking like the baloonse over london in WW2 that had the cables that clipped the wings of the bombers. Eery multiwinian couls occasionally release a kite-bomb and if in the unlikely event something that flies (soul destroyers, bombers, multiwinains in leap of faith, etc) gets hit by one, they get killed.

Return to “General”