a small concern

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

MT4K
level0

a small concern

Postby MT4K » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:34 pm

hey, i love the game, its such a nice refreshing change from standard rts games, but i'ma little concerned for multiwinia as most reviews i read about it seem a little umm... stupid aswell as comments on the reviews themselves, i find it hard to believe that i read comments on reviews and reviews stating about the lack of a pause option, it pisses me off to no end that they lack any common sense to try the "pause" button on their keyboards, i mean the escape key shouldn't be a pause key in any game anyway, it's "escape" not "pause" but i regieters here to post this because i come across a comment on a review saying they gave the game a miss because of the lack of a pause button, i know, stupid reason to give a game a miss just cus they are too dumb to try pressing "pause", but i fear its affecting the game from maybe selling as well as it should be

its just one thing that seems to annoy me when i read about this game, it's like alot of them have "missed the point" so to speak, i could be wrong on this but i feel this game was made as a "something different" "bare bones essentials" "back to basics" type game, so when i read that people have jumped into it then complained about things like it being "too hectic" or bad controls in one way or another" it really annoys me so much, it took me less than 2 minutes to get to grips with the controls and i never even played darwinia, i agree th egame is very hectic, but you are hardly hecticly trying to controll everything due to "excellent game design" with the ease of controls and officer usage, i really fear for the future of this game as its a great game and as much as i lov egame slike company of heroes ect i love a good back to basics game of old fashioned rts style gaming

i hope this game does well as it is a really good game, but i really fear for its lifespan due to reviews and comments on reviews totally missing the point or worse.. missing the pause button :roll:
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:39 pm

You do realise that that's what half the topics are about at this point in time, right?

If you fear for its lifespan, then go on over to the Save Multiwinia blog post and then spread the word.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:40 pm

I can see why they bouldn't think to use the pause button. Infact, I had never EVER used it before multiwinia around. Hardly any programs i know of use it. And this is definately the first game I have seen use it.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:42 pm

I've seen another game use it, although its identity escapes me at this point in time.
MT4K
level0

Postby MT4K » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:43 pm

company of heroes uses it, although escape works aswell so people probably dont bother using the pause button there
Makai
level0

Postby Makai » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:52 pm

Some keyboards, like laptop keyboards, might not have a pause button though, what to do then? As far as I can tell the Esc key is much more likely to be present in said keyboards, hence why it seems to be the default pause key in most games as opposed to the actual pause key.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:54 pm

In peoples' defense, the escape button opens the menu that almost totally conceals the gameplay. It is a reasonable expectation that a single player game should be paused while you're in menus.
MT4K
level0

Postby MT4K » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:02 am

Makai wrote:Some keyboards, like laptop keyboards, might not have a pause button though, what to do then? As far as I can tell the Esc key is much more likely to be present in said keyboards, hence why it seems to be the default pause key in most games as opposed to the actual pause key.

that's a fair point, didn't really consider laptops although i should of considering my dad uses one, but i think his has a pause key :S not that it matters if his does, some dont lol

anyway i didnt mean to annoy anybody or anything i was just trying to state my concern, and ty pinky for the link to the blog, i'll be sure to tell people i know to give the game a go and such
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:12 am

All laptops have a paise key, but you may need to use the Fn key to get to it.

Does everyone have to go SHIFT + Pause to pause the game, but only pause to unpause the game?
MT4K
level0

Postby MT4K » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:15 am

nope, i just hit pause, it sometimes takes 2 or 3 presses when alot is going on but it works
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:08 am

elexis wrote:All laptops have a paise key, but you may need to use the Fn key to get to it.

This is not at all true. Nearly all laptops that were initially designed to run Windows have pause keys. Macintosh laptops, which can (and often do) run Windows do not have a pause key.

xander
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:56 am

In addition to Xander's welcome Windows-is-not-computing point, don't forget that the game can be controlled with an Xbox 360 wired controller - and on the console, it will be - so hitting "Start" to view the menus should also pause action. Nobody who chooses a supported, alternate control system should have to reach for the keyboard to access function X, whatever it says on that particular key.

To be honest, if Esc doesn't work my next guess would have been P, or even space or an arbitrary Function key, since the Pause button is so seldom used.

Yes, it says "pause", but how many of you would press "break" to kick in a door on Half Life 2? Just because it's literal doesn't make it obvious (or right).

("I see pig up and pig down, but no "any" key...")
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:16 pm

But for the point of this conversation it is true. All laptops designed for windows will have a pause key. I think that the guys making the mac version will realise that almost every mac doesn't have a pause key and will use another button.
Trust
level3
level3

Postby Trust » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:19 pm

elexis wrote:I can see why they bouldn't think to use the pause button. Infact, I had never EVER used it before multiwinia around. Hardly any programs i know of use it. And this is definately the first game I have seen use it.

Doom did.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:37 am

I have only ever played DOOM 95

Return to “General”