Patch 1.1 released!

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:18 pm

[ms bashing]Well, you should be used to that from playing any game not supporting XInput.[/ms bashing]
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:25 pm

mmax718 wrote:now these antsnest are underpowered.. they are killed in 1minute.. can someone explain me when they get damage?? I dont understand it... I only see that they are now no strong enough

If there are no ants in the nest for a period of, say, a second or two, then the nest will take 10 percent damage, and will be refilled with a dozen or so ants. Thus, if you can keep formations facing the nest, then it dies in about 30 seconds. However, you are draining your resources to do so (i.e. those DGs can't go anywhere else).

What is more likely is that either you or your enemy is not placing nests correctly. You really can't place them in the thick of battle -- they will get pwn'd that way. You need to place them where the enemy is weak -- say, near a spawn point that they have just captured, or near the edge of an area that they control. If done used properly, ant nests can really, really slow down an enemy, but, unlike before, they can be more easily countered.

xander
mmax718
level1
level1

Postby mmax718 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:27 pm

well but it means, it takes in the first times 10percent damage, because there all ants rans to the enemys..
N3tRunn3r
level1
level1

Incredible Great

Postby N3tRunn3r » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:17 pm

yeah, you did it! it is very nice to see a chat in hosted rooms. and much more...
god damn it.. you are great!! love ya as i do all games of ya!

keep forward guys.. you are doing a great job!!
cu later.

:D
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:52 pm

mmax718 wrote:well but it means, it takes in the first times 10percent damage, because there all ants rans to the enemys..

I don't understand what you mean by this -- could you please try rephrasing it?

xander
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:17 pm

xander wrote:
mmax718 wrote:well but it means, it takes in the first times 10percent damage, because there all ants rans to the enemys..

xander

he's saying that the anthills must almost automatically take 10% damage, because when a hill spawns, all the ants come rushing out of it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:49 pm

TheRileyDuo wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

he's saying that the anthills must almost automatically take 10% damage, because when a hill spawns, all the ants come rushing out of it.

Yes, but there are 60 ants in the hill, and by the time they are all out, many of them should already be returning, unless they were killed.

xander
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:59 pm

The ant nests require completely new strategies now. Luckily, they're still useful. Trust me, the beta testers got to use them quite a lot. :P
gerph
level1
level1

Unintentional 'feature'

Postby gerph » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Hiya,

On the list I see no mention of the keyboard being disabled in the menu screens.

On the main menus you used to be able to use the cursors and return to select things. You can't any more. This is REALLY annoying on the menus as they run at ~2fps on my machine (existing problem which has already been mentioned in the troubleshooting area and hasn't changed), and are incredibly tedious to navigate with the mouse when it can take 5 clicks or so before it'll notice that you've clicked anything.

So... is the removal of the keyboard controls a feature or a bug ? I'd say a bug which makes the menu framerate problem intollerable.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:50 pm

It was deliberate, for it conflicted with the lobby chat (enter as confirm selection, and focus on chat). However, you cn edit it back in yourself. See the thread in the Windows Troubleshooting forum.

Also, your graphics card is below the minimum specifications, so I don't know what you expected. Something means the text causes horribly slow frame rates for you. It's possible this may be corrected (if it's feasible), but I don't know whether it is of a high priority.
gerph
level1
level1

Postby gerph » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:07 pm

RabidZombie wrote:It was deliberate, for it conflicted with the lobby chat (enter as confirm selection, and focus on chat). However, you cn edit it back in yourself. See the thread in the Windows Troubleshooting forum.

So... it was deliberate and it's not in the full changelog... that doesn't sound quite so... um... 'full' :-)

Ta for the reference, though; can't really see how to make the menus work again just yet, but I'll have a tinker...

Edit: Nope; can't seem to get them to work following those instructions; sorry.
Edit 2: Whee! Worked. You have to not be an idiot and call the file en_GB.txt :-) Thanks :-)

RabidZombie wrote:Also, your graphics card is below the minimum specifications, so I don't know what you expected. Something means the text causes horribly slow frame rates for you. It's possible this may be corrected (if it's feasible), but I don't know whether it is of a high priority.

Well the /game/ works well. It seems rather silly that the menu screens should be so horribly slow. Since the game itself works fine on the specifications I've got, it seems that any newcomer to the game would look at the menus and go "Nah, that's just too slow to be playable" and not bother actually going any further.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:24 am

gerph wrote:Well the /game/ works well. It seems rather silly that the menu screens should be so horribly slow. Since the game itself works fine on the specifications I've got, it seems that any newcomer to the game would look at the menus and go "Nah, that's just too slow to be playable" and not bother actually going any further.
That's what stopped me from playing the beta. I can't explain why I didn't play it in my new computer though... Well I got it close to the release anyway. I did see that the game was playable, but it wasn't worth putting up with the menu, since at the time it was only singleplayer beta.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Re: Patch 1.1 released!

Postby NeatNit » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:30 am

First, sorry for double post I don't feel like editing this into my previous post.

John wrote:We've just released patch 1.1, which includes, amongst other features and bug fixes, lobby chat!

Here is the full change log:

=====================
14 October 2008
VERSION 1.1.0
=====================

[changelog]
You forgot the G15 support thing, which I LOVE by the way. I don't look there much but that spinning Multiwinian is too awesome to ignore.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Re: Unintentional 'feature'

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:33 pm

gerph wrote:So... is the removal of the keyboard controls a feature or a bug ? I'd say a bug which makes the menu framerate problem intollerable.

I SEE THAT EVERYTHING I AM SAYING HERE AS ALREADY BEEN SAID ;-; oh well I'll say it anyway :(

I asked this question specifically in the patch beta. I thought it was pretty wierd since it's so fundamentally expected, useful and important. The responce that I got was that it was removed in entirity because it broke the functionality for "press enter to chat" in the multiplayer lobby. That was the chosen solution, not for example, changing the enter key to be say, space, for clicking a menu option, or changing the lobby to be space, or something - the solution was to remove all the keyboard navigation from all the menus.

It would be possible to edit the controls back in via hacking the keyboard controls, I think, but firstly this is a pain in the ass, and secondly using a release version of input_preferences in 1.1 broke ingame chat and at current I don't know why. Frankly, though, I can't believe how unaltruistic a solution this was.

Regarding the occasionally cripplingly slow menus, some experimentation seemed to suggest that this might be related to fonts, but using a simple game engine that I made that simply displayed a font texture I couldn't reproduce the same nonlinear crippling effect on the same hardware - maybe there's some perculiar behavoir that the menus use which results in the poor performance.
stonberg
level1
level1

Postby stonberg » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:08 pm

B'wuhahahaar!! :D

Return to “General”