Packaging and some other rant

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle

zokier
level0

Packaging and some other rant

Postby zokier » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:51 pm

Apparently even the mighty tin box can't stand the horrors of Finnish Post Office...

http://i37.tinypic.com/ih403c.jpg

Although I'm not blaming Introversion, you could pay more attention to the packaging. Especially with these special editions, as tin gets small dents quite easily. Mine atleast arrived in simple bubblewrap-envelope, so it isn't that suprising that it didn't make it.

Did everyone else get their boxes in pristine condition?

And while I'm writing, I might as well say something in general, mostly small details. First, Darwinia manual has horrible typography, I mean like letters are in different sizes and the dots of i are all around etc. Were the pages 'On the e-Sofa' mostly empty by purpose or by error?

Then the large booklet(which was very nice in content) had too much 'Sharpen'ing in it. This is evident in the Darwinia release pic iirc, where was bright light in the middle and pillars in the sides. Sharpening is visible imho quite clearly in the edges of the pillars, surrounded by bright halo.

And I didn't quite get the postcards, not when the pics were posted on the net, and not now. There must be a inside joke going on there... but maybe its just me.

Don't take these criticisms too heavily, I'm still a big fan of IV, but detail makes all the difference in world. And the games are great!
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:03 pm

My tin arrived in the UK in a similar state, and I'm already asking for an exchange :( I hate to do this to IV, but if they've made the top whack version it should arrive in good condition, shurely?
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:17 pm

You...yours has been posted already?? :shock: :shock:
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
rainingblood
level1
level1

Postby rainingblood » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Erf, knowing the horrible french post, i hope my tin will arrive in one piece :/

Zokier, you scared me !!
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:35 pm

shinygerbil wrote:You...yours has been posted already?? :shock: :shock:

Do bear in mind that there is one dude doing all the post, so I'll stand by IV and say please be patient on that front. I pre-ordered, don't know if I was ahead of you or whatever; you still have your download key, right?
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:42 pm

This.

They're distributing them!? I want mine :(
My address is changing this weekend too.
Hertston
level1
level1

Postby Hertston » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:45 pm

Mine actually turned up yesterday (bog standard version, that is).
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:51 pm

Greeba: I wasn't complaining; I know how Introversion works. ;) I was just surprised that any had been shipped out yet!

Man, assuming the tins are still at The Flying Hamster, I could probably be at their door within 20-25 minutes. ;)

I preordered mine, order number 40. I don't know how far down the list that puts me - or indeed if they are shipping them in order.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Phelanpt
level5
level5

Re: Packaging and some other rant

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:52 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
zokier wrote:And I didn't quite get the postcards, not when the pics were posted on the net, and not now. There must be a inside joke going on there... but maybe its just me.

The postcards were posted before during the Multiwinia Mondays in the six weeks before release. You can see them here.

Jelco

I think he was saying he didn't understand them.

Multiwinia Monday wrote:Here’s the next instalment of Uncle Rick’s cartoons on a theme of Multiwinians behaving badly...

Hopefully IV can use either better packaging, or a fragile sticker, something like that. Wouldn't like to see them have to pay again for the tins. :?
rainingblood
level1
level1

Postby rainingblood » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:13 pm

I think i didn't get the postcard thing, are we going to have the postcard in the collector edition, or is it too late ?

All 8 of the Multiwinian vs Darwinian Postcards

I hope they actually will be in the tin, otherwise the advert for the collector edition would be misgiving...
snilek
level0

Postby snilek » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Got my tin in perfect condition. I was surprised to get it today after no e-mail about it being sent to me or anything.

Still, foam Darwinian's! Yay!
Jonty
level0

Postby Jonty » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:03 pm

My tin arrived with one or two minor dents - but I expected that, unless they were making the tins out of wrought iron or something. Still, the OPs tin looks dented beyond reason. I hope the contents weren't damaged! Of course this isn't really IV's fault, so I don't know whether I would ask for an exchange if my tin arrived like that.

Yay, foam Darwinians! I want the yellow and red ones to make a set now. :(

I wrote all about the arrival of my tin on by blog, too. See it at http://www.jontysewell.net/blog/multiwinia .
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:23 pm

How I would laugh if they were sending them out in reverse order ;)
immortalnights
level1
level1

Postby immortalnights » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:48 pm

I received mine today. Was in perfect condition.

It is a shame that the postal service can't do something for your tin, as said it surpasses the minor bruises!
Nutter
level3
level3

Re: Packaging and some other rant

Postby Nutter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:06 pm

zokier wrote:And while I'm writing, I might as well say something in general, mostly small details. First, Darwinia manual has horrible typography, I mean like letters are in different sizes and the dots of i are all around etc. Were the pages 'On the e-Sofa' mostly empty by purpose or by error?

Then the large booklet(which was very nice in content) had too much 'Sharpen'ing in it. This is evident in the Darwinia release pic iirc, where was bright light in the middle and pillars in the sides. Sharpening is visible imho quite clearly in the edges of the pillars, surrounded by bright halo.

Hello zokier, I did the graphics for the Multiwinia manual, game cover, art booklet and so forth. I don't know about the Darwinia manuals as that was before my time, but on the eSofa has quite a bit of text in my copy.

As I haven't seen the final printed version of Multiwinia (will be picking mine up at the launch party) I'm very curios if the manual, cd print and game cover turned out alright (you send off things to the printers and cross your fingers that it turns out how you intended it to). With the art book some of the earlier images wern't really as high res as I would have liked them (guess you don't take high res images in pre alpha). Most images needed to be adjusted as else they would be a bit flat in color when printed and some sharpend. I did test prints, but you never know how the close the printer you test it on is to the one the real printers have. Long stoy short, I'm sorry to hear about the sharpening but hope its not too bad.

I agree with you that the details really makes a differences and I hope that it shows :wink:

Return to “General”