Packaging and some other rant

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

Nutter
level3
level3

Re: Packaging and some other rant

Postby Nutter » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:06 pm

zokier wrote:And while I'm writing, I might as well say something in general, mostly small details. First, Darwinia manual has horrible typography, I mean like letters are in different sizes and the dots of i are all around etc. Were the pages 'On the e-Sofa' mostly empty by purpose or by error?

Then the large booklet(which was very nice in content) had too much 'Sharpen'ing in it. This is evident in the Darwinia release pic iirc, where was bright light in the middle and pillars in the sides. Sharpening is visible imho quite clearly in the edges of the pillars, surrounded by bright halo.

Hello zokier, I did the graphics for the Multiwinia manual, game cover, art booklet and so forth. I don't know about the Darwinia manuals as that was before my time, but on the eSofa has quite a bit of text in my copy.

As I haven't seen the final printed version of Multiwinia (will be picking mine up at the launch party) I'm very curios if the manual, cd print and game cover turned out alright (you send off things to the printers and cross your fingers that it turns out how you intended it to). With the art book some of the earlier images wern't really as high res as I would have liked them (guess you don't take high res images in pre alpha). Most images needed to be adjusted as else they would be a bit flat in color when printed and some sharpend. I did test prints, but you never know how the close the printer you test it on is to the one the real printers have. Long stoy short, I'm sorry to hear about the sharpening but hope its not too bad.

I agree with you that the details really makes a differences and I hope that it shows :wink:
zokier
level0

Re: Packaging and some other rant

Postby zokier » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:26 am

Nutter wrote:
zokier wrote:And while I'm writing, I might as well say something in general, mostly small details. First, Darwinia manual has horrible typography, I mean like letters are in different sizes and the dots of i are all around etc. Were the pages 'On the e-Sofa' mostly empty by purpose or by error?

Then the large booklet(which was very nice in content) had too much 'Sharpen'ing in it. This is evident in the Darwinia release pic iirc, where was bright light in the middle and pillars in the sides. Sharpening is visible imho quite clearly in the edges of the pillars, surrounded by bright halo.

Hello zokier, I did the graphics for the Multiwinia manual, game cover, art booklet and so forth. I don't know about the Darwinia manuals as that was before my time, but on the eSofa has quite a bit of text in my copy.

As I haven't seen the final printed version of Multiwinia (will be picking mine up at the launch party) I'm very curios if the manual, cd print and game cover turned out alright (you send off things to the printers and cross your fingers that it turns out how you intended it to). With the art book some of the earlier images wern't really as high res as I would have liked them (guess you don't take high res images in pre alpha). Most images needed to be adjusted as else they would be a bit flat in color when printed and some sharpend. I did test prints, but you never know how the close the printer you test it on is to the one the real printers have. Long stoy short, I'm sorry to hear about the sharpening but hope its not too bad.

I agree with you that the details really makes a differences and I hope that it shows :wink:

Well, maybe I was bit harsh earlier, being pissed off to the post office and all. The sharpening effect seems just to pop up when one 'learns' to see it, most of the people probably won't even notice it. It's also possible that I have mistaken some ingame effect for this.

Some places the lowresness was more visible because there was clearly higher res image near it. Of course one way to see it as an developement process(low-res->high-res) :)

Overall the art booklet was very nice even if I complain about some minor stuff, I know that it's not an easy task to produce prints from screenshots, especially when game is so visual as Multiwinia/Darwinia is.

In compensation I present my multiwinia-shrine:

8)

/me wishes that he actually had a camera
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:23 am

I'm still learning about graphic design so I'd rather have people point out these kinds of things that could be better so I know what to avoid next time round :)
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:54 am

Hey Nutter, how about updating your own site to include Multiwinia's artwork? ;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:05 pm

Hang on... Is everyone getting Green & Blue? I just got mine... Green & Blue... Maybe IV is sending them out in order of...Colour?
OrR
level1
level1

Postby OrR » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:17 pm

Jonty wrote:Yay, foam Darwinians! I want the yellow and red ones to make a set now. :(

I don't think there are yellow ones, are there?
I really hope I'll get green and blue as well, or I'll have to find someone to swap...
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:28 pm

I have green and blue too (and so does a friend). I smell a conspiracy...;)
I found the pictures in the art book to be pretty good quality, the only exception being the first 'darwinia' picture (may 2003). Also: "They're back! And they're bastards!" awesome :lol:

Is there anything special inside the darwinia box itself? I already have a boxed copy so I don't particularly want to open it if there isn't.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:07 pm

NukeLord wrote:Is there anything special inside the darwinia box itself? I already have a boxed copy so I don't particularly want to open it if there isn't.

Hoping to keep a valuable collector's item of a sealed Darwinia package? :P

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Artemis
level1
level1

Postby Artemis » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:12 pm

NukeLord wrote:I have green and blue too (and so does a friend). I smell a conspiracy...;)

I've been reliably informed that mine also contains a blue and a green. Are tins soul-proof? Maybe the Greens and Blues killed the rest en-route...?
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:20 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Hey Nutter, how about updating your own site to include Multiwinia's artwork? ;)

Jelco

he he yeah or just updating it in general. I'm hoping to make a new design soon, problem is just finding the time :)
- Morten

------------------

RedCell.dk
Bas
level2
level2

Postby Bas » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:46 pm

Oh my God this thing screams "premium." It's huge, comes with cool bonuses, and the box itself is nice looking. Mine didn't come with any dents, thank goodness, and I received a green and blue one as well. I'm not even taking the wrap of the games in my LE.

By the by, how many of these were made? I'd like to think it was a number below 1000, to make me feel extra special. :P
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:09 pm

I was pre-order #5, and mine hasn't arrived... I hope it gets here before I leave for uni on Sunday, I need foamwiniaaaans! According to the store it hasn't been shipped yet, I guess Will is a busy man right now :(
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:25 pm

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:I was pre-order #5, and mine hasn't arrived... I hope it gets here before I leave for uni on Sunday, I need foamwiniaaaans! According to the store it hasn't been shipped yet, I guess Will is a busy man right now :(

Exactly my concern, just three delivery days left :s
Nimbus
level2
level2

Postby Nimbus » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:33 pm

I already got mine and the store still says "Order Confirmed"
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:38 pm

I'm #11, haven't got it yet, and in my opinion it's not exactly the end of the world (pun explained later on :P) if they don't arrive before Sunday, but it would be nice. I need to take pics of the Foamwinians at CERN which I'm visiting next Monday through Thursday! :D

Jelco

- Douglas Adams

Return to “General”