My teapot troubles.

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

Phevnil
level1
level1

My teapot troubles.

Postby Phevnil » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:43 pm

Any one know if the tea pot statue is because of the tea pot shape that comes with 3ds max (the statue would appear to either be a flatshaded version or a redo with less polygons used) or if it is because of the Open GL standard test shape (which I heared was a tea pot)? I just saw it and it reminded me of the tea pot from 3ds max. I just want to know because the question is troubleing me right now and I can't concintrate (hence the topic title).

Pic:

Quick edit: pic of flatchaded 3ds max tea pot:

And the normal one:

On second thought I bet it is the open GL one.

Edit again: on second second thought it actually is the flatshaded 3ds max tea pot XD. Hilarious (or at least I think so).
[insert outrageously funny/insightful comment here]
Duckmeister
level1
level1

Postby Duckmeister » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:28 am

You definitely hit the nail on the head there, I knew that I recognized it from somewhere...

There goes IV, finding as many ways as possible to put tributes into their games. Frankly, I love it.
Come to the light side! We may not have cookies, but at least we win!
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am

Same. I am quit happy that this was put in seeing as it would implie that 3ds max is the modeling program they use and as it turns out 3ds max8 is the one I use (not sure wich number they would have but I would guess 9) therfore there is a large chance I could export the right file type (and posibly opimport one of the statues to get the proper scale) and make my own statues and such. Although I don't know if they would let the game suport any thing but user made maps.....
Donat
level1
level1

Postby Donat » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:24 am

Tribute to 3ds max, woot.
film11
level3
level3

Postby film11 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:37 am

I'm not sure whether it's a tribute to 3DSMAX specifically. Many things use a teapot model to demonstrate certain effects or other things.

One example I can think of is Serious Sam's special effects gallery, where teapots were everywhere.
aaaaaaaaaahahaha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. ahahahaaah ahhhh aaaah.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:39 am

Nothing to do with 3Ds max in particular, it's an open standard shape for testing 3D engines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_teapot
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:45 am

Oh well the only thing I knew that had that teapot was 3ds max and open GL and when I flatshaded the tea pot from 3ds max it was exactly the same (minus the force double sidedness that the statue seems to be useing).
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:27 am

The statues are awesome.

Along with that teapot, there's also a companion cube and "your ad here"
JTD121
level0

Postby JTD121 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:10 am

I saw one that had a model of Darwinia on it. As in, the world you see when you are not in an area in Darwinia; the globe.

Someone should actually make some of these trophies. I would actually buy a Darwinia globe trophy.

-Josh
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:10 pm

There's also a squaddie and a Multiwinian lifting weights. Also, the one with Darwinia is also held by a Multiwinian.

Dammit I got used to Multiwinian. When I first heard it it seemed so stupid and unoriginal! Darwinian seemed much better... Now I have become one of... THEM!
cde
level2
level2

Postby cde » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:41 pm

What Pox said.

The teapot has been a long-established 3D form for testing shading technologies, used by people like James Blinn.

You know, James Blinn? No? Never mind.

Anyway, rumour has it that some early 3D programmers (1970s-early) could make you a teapot mesh from memory, plotting the X,Y,Z coordinates without any visual feedback...

In other news I noticed that the bullets in Halo 3 are a bit like the Cylinders in Maya 2009! From now on I shall assume that Maya is used to make all console games, and that Alias Systems or Wavefront before them must have invented & patented the cylinder. If Multiwinia only had a cylinder statue, that would be a great nod to Maya.
Pinky
level2
level2

Postby Pinky » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 am

Windows 2000 or NT.
Set the screensaver to 3d pipes/ball joint.

Wait long enough, and instead of a ball joint, there'll be a teapot.

Return to “General”