Great game. Absolutely terrible connection problems.

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

CXZman
level1
level1

Postby CXZman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:13 pm

Zebreu : I guess you'd better convince your pals outhere in your LAN to play local. Some of my mates had that problem with Defcon, I guess that's the same problem here.

Jelco : thanks, but I read this sentence, and it wasn't clear, so I asked.

... but now it is.
elDiablo
level5
level5

Re: Campus network?

Postby elDiablo » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:33 pm

Zebreu wrote:Hey! I'm currently on the campus network (I live in their residences) and I cannot join many games... I think there is no way I can forward port (since I cannot access the router), so is there some solution? It's pretty hard to find a game (just succeeded to enter one after 10 tries).

Unfortunately, campus networks are almost always extremely restrictive, and (in my experiences) are very unwilling to open ports. The only way people I know have ever managed to get EVERYTHING through University firewalls is to use a HTTPTunnel. These aren't great, however, as they add extra overheads to your transfers, and require a server outside of the firewall which isn't on a restrictive NAT. Google it for more information, but be aware that this might be against the terms and conditions of your campus network. I don't know. You need to check :)
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:09 pm

You can't tunnel UDP through more than one proxy, so if your university happens to use an HTTP proxy to begin with, and doesn't approve of connecting to ports other than 80 and 443 (which to be fair is exactly what they should do), you'd have to work out a more ellaborate tunneling scheme.

Basically universities are jerkwads.
supersheep
level0

Postby supersheep » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:52 am

Hmm.

I have a Speedtouch 780 (BeBox) and 4000 and 4001 are forwarded for UDP. No dice. I would say that 80% of the servers are unconnectable. It doesn't seem like people can join my games either. I've not got to the point of dumping the incoming traffic to find out what's actually going on, but I may try it when I've got some free time.

I've got no firewalling at any other point; nothing else is open to my machine except 4000 and 4001. I refuse to DMZ to play Multiwinia as I'm reticent to open all the DCOM and SMB/CIFS ports to the wide world given the risk. I'm pretty irritated, to be honest.

Just in case this sounds harsh, it's not: I adore Introversion, which is why I've bought every game you ever put out - also because I'm an IC alumnus like yourselves. The post on the IV blog about IC being, and I quote, "a bootcamp for engineers" is oh so true!
CXZman
level1
level1

Postby CXZman » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:06 am

Maybe THEIR games are hosted by someone who didn't open his ports.
... wouldn't explain why nobody joins.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:29 pm

supersheep wrote:Speedtouch 780 (BeBox)

This is one of those restrictive NAT routers that doesn't seem to port forward correctly.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:32 pm

Yep, SpeedTouch sucks. These two topics might be of help to you though (the BT Home Hub seems to show a lot of similarities in its annoying behaviour with SpeedTouch modems).

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
supersheep
level0

Postby supersheep » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:01 pm

Yeah, I've had issues with Xbox Live and the Speedtouch - refusing to accept ports are open. My ports look okay in this case, though. It also has a few issues with UDP traffic, and naturally Multiwinia (at least from my traffic logging) is generating absolutely tons of that.

Sod it, I'll chuck it and go buy another ADSL2+ compatible box.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:13 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Yep, SpeedTouch sucks. These two topics might be of help to you though (the BT Home Hub seems to show a lot of similarities in its annoying behaviour with SpeedTouch modems).

Jelco

Hehe. That's because the BT Home Hub IS a SpeedTouch.
Duckmeister
level1
level1

Postby Duckmeister » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:26 am

Well, I don't know that anything changed or got patched, but I seem to be having a much better time connecting to other games. So problem solved I guess, thanks. I am now able to fully enjoy this great game.
Come to the light side! We may not have cookies, but at least we win!
Bosh the Hun
level0

Postby Bosh the Hun » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:53 am

I can't connect to multiplayer games. Though I don't have any problem doing so with DefCon.

Worse still, I'm not really a networking expert so advice like "forwarding port 4000 to the UDP" means next to nothing to me and also sounds really risky.

Any chance of a step by step explanation of how to trouble shoot this - aimed at thick people like me?
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:27 am

Bosh the Hun wrote:I can't connect to multiplayer games. Though I don't have any problem doing so with DefCon.

Worse still, I'm not really a networking expert so advice like "forwarding port 4000 to the UDP" means next to nothing to me and also sounds really risky.

Any chance of a step by step explanation of how to trouble shoot this - aimed at thick people like me?

Work out the model number of your router, and go to portforward.com - they have guides for just about every router on the planet.
Duckmeister
level1
level1

Postby Duckmeister » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:51 pm

I tried the port forwarding thing, and portforward.com doesn't have information on Multiwinia. I know you just need to open 4000 and 4001, but it's kinda annoying that it makes you select a game.

No problem though. Everything seems to be working a lot better than it had been.
Come to the light side! We may not have cookies, but at least we win!
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:08 pm

Top tip: If you need to port forward, don't forget to set the ports in Multiwinia! Go to Help and Options, Settings, Other Options, and click on the client port. Then hit the return key on your keyboard, hit the apply button in the menu and away you go!

Return to “General”