My complaints. Yay.

General discussion about Multiwinia

Moderators: bert_the_turtle, jelco

Trust
level3
level3

My complaints. Yay.

Postby Trust » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:14 pm

I have a short list of complaints about multiwinia...

Performance issues late in multiplayer games
    Autopatcher
    Requires incoming connections for outward connections (Strike that, I'm a moron)
    The fact that I suck.

That's it! Other than that, superb game.
Last edited by Trust on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Mind giving some extra info? None of those is very descriptive. ;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Trust
level3
level3

Postby Trust » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:41 pm

Well!

"Performance issues late in multiplayer games": Games seem to slow down for me after a while - hasn't been a problem single player...

"Autopatcher": I have an awful feeling that this autopatcher won't work when I get to uni, in just over a week, given that we're behind a proxy for most things...

"Requires incoming connections for outward connections": Re: the "Client port" - see "Autopatcher", and the fact that I can't forward ANY ports inward at uni.

"The fact that I suck.": I suck at multiwinia. I suck a lot. I'm utterly shit, in fact.

Hope that helps :p
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Trust wrote:"Autopatcher": I have an awful feeling that this autopatcher won't work when I get to uni, in just over a week, given that we're behind a proxy for most things...
I'm sure you'll always be able to just download the latest installer.

Trust wrote:"Requires incoming connections for outward connections": Re: the "Client port" - see "Autopatcher", and the fact that I can't forward ANY ports inward at uni.
It also works fine with some forms of NAT routers. I'm behind one and don't need to forward any ports to host, and joining other games should work with any form of NAT. Now, blocked ports are a different story. A VPN tunnel may help you in some situations.[/quote]
Trust
level3
level3

Postby Trust » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:01 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:
Trust wrote:"Autopatcher": I have an awful feeling that this autopatcher won't work when I get to uni, in just over a week, given that we're behind a proxy for most things...
I'm sure you'll always be able to just download the latest installer.

I hope so :p

bert_the_turtle wrote:
Trust wrote:"Requires incoming connections for outward connections": Re: the "Client port" - see "Autopatcher", and the fact that I can't forward ANY ports inward at uni.
It also works fine with some forms of NAT routers.

Interesting... I wonder how it accepts connections without incoming port forwarding?

bert_the_turtle wrote:I'm behind one and don't need to forward any ports to host, and joining other games should work with any form of NAT.

Ahem, enabling port forwarding seemed to solve whatever problem I was having earlier. Seems I was overreacting. Just turned it off, and shit seems to work.
supersheep
level0

Postby supersheep » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:19 am

Interesting - I'll try turning off my forwards.

It's laggy as hell, though. I just started a 2v2 coop on Holy Tree and couldn't give any orders cos the lag was horrific.
Trust
level3
level3

Postby Trust » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:44 am

Oh, also, am I the only one getting some minor z-depth issues?

Here's some screenshots...
hibbs
level2
level2

Postby hibbs » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:41 am

Trust Wrote

"Autopatcher": I have an awful feeling that this autopatcher won't work when I get to uni, in just over a week, given that we're behind a proxy for most things...

You might want to look Here for the autopatcher problem. i don't think it will work for playing it though. :wink:
Trust
level3
level3

Postby Trust » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:48 am

hibbs wrote:Trust Wrote

You might want to look Here for the autopatcher problem. i don't think it will work for playing it though. :wink:

I get a 404 when following those instructions...

But also, I believe it'll need to connect in order to get that manifest for the downloads... Which'll be a problem, unless IV have been supernice and actually bothered to add support for proxies...
XF Clohvn
level1
level1

Postby XF Clohvn » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:07 am

Multiwinia seems to have the same issues Defcon had at launch (ie. poor server browser, occasional net code issues), but once I actually get ingame I'm loving it :)
Trust
level3
level3

Postby Trust » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Speaking of ingame, I have another complaint. Dodgy pathfinding.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:42 pm

Trust wrote:Speaking of ingame, I have another complaint. Dodgy pathfinding.

Yeah, that can get particularly bad in some assault maps.

My advice is holding ctrl when giving them a move order with particularly dodgy pathfinding. That will cause them to move in a straight line.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Xocrates wrote:My advice is holding ctrl when giving them a move order with particularly dodgy pathfinding. That will cause them to move in a straight line.

:shock: Any other keyboard tips thats not listed in the manual? (If it was I must have missed it.)
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:07 pm

Hold <complicated secret key combination> and.....ohwaityoudidn'thearmesaythat :lol: :wink:
Last edited by NukeLord on Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:07 pm

sfericz wrote:
Xocrates wrote:My advice is holding ctrl when giving them a move order with particularly dodgy pathfinding. That will cause them to move in a straight line.

:shock: Any other keyboard tips thats not listed in the manual? (If it was I must have missed it.)

Weird, just looked and you're right, it isn't in the manual. :?
I don't think there are any other controls missing.

Return to “General”