In regard to Scanner Sombre

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

blackarm
level0

In regard to Scanner Sombre

Postby blackarm » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:01 pm

I have been an Introversion fan since DEFCON, and although that isn't very long in comparison, it was one of my first PC games on my first private computer. I even still have the case it came in, and thankfully steam support even let me activate it on there with proof of purchase. After that, I found Uplink and loved it. I own Darwinia and Multiwinia, but haven't played them yet... but I probably should. I'd touch on Prison Architect, but I don't need to... we all know it's great.

I am saddened to hear that Introversion had a failed game, but I cannot be surprised. It didn't click with me when it was first announced. It was an interesting little tech demo, but as a game I didn't want it. The bomb defusal game looked like a good idea, but I could see difficulty implementing it, creating hard enough puzzles, and giving it replability at the same time. Honestly, I think in the end it would have maybe sold more, but with worse reviews as opposed to selling less, with good reviews. Everyone keeps saying "Oh, just do more tycoon games!" What a terrible idea... you'd just become "that tycoon company" and if you tried to put anything else out you'd get lambasted... although, you kind of already are I guess, but imagine it being a lot worse. Maybe in the future, but I want to see what you guys are really known for, and that's creative games.

Now onto why this is being posted under the Subversion thread. You had a great idea and I watched every video I could find out about it. I was seething for more. I kept searching and searching, but my friend and I could never find more information to satiated us. I loved the artstyle, the gameplay, everything. It's been so many years though, that everything isn't fresh in my mind so I can't dribble on and on like I could have years ago, so I'm going to cut this short. You said something along the lines of "not knowing how to turn this idea into a full game", but I don't buy it. All you needed to do was give the player all the options to handle situations with, recruit members, create a city, and give the players a sand box to do these jobs in to make money. I used to play payday 2, and all I could think of was, damn I wish I was robbing a bank in Subversion right now... Anyway, you said that, and I remember that interview or blog post... and then you guys release Scanner Sombre, and I'm not going to shit on it and in fact I might even pick it up to support you guys, but it's not really a game... and it's less of a game than Subversion could have been, but you released that instead... I'm very disappointed. It's been so long, and I bet you don't even remember what it is anymore... but I'll never stop holding out for it, or at the very least thinking what if.

Anyway, you guys have always been my favorite studio. I love watching your videos ever since I started watching them during Prison Architect. You guys are a blast to listen to, you're so creative and have brilliant minds, and you're good people. I really hope you figure something out, and make another big hit... or at the very least, something your true fans will consider a cult classic, like you've done for us so many times. Thank you.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Re: In regard to Scanner Sombre

Postby VoiD88 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:51 am

I couldn't agree more! I've been a fan of IV since the very beginning, and everything OP wrote is 100% what I think as well.

I think I remember that they somewhere said that Subversion was abandoned because they had developed it "top-down", mechanics first but no gameplay, but they were more confident when Chris had the idea of Prison Architect because it was "bottom-up" instead, gameplay first and mechanics later. So I think they went on to say that they would do PA first and maybe eventually come back to Subversion when they figured out a way to recreate it "bottom-up" this time.

That's what I'm still hoping for. Look at the prisoner that I submtted to Prison Architect in the early days of Alpha. I never changed the bio, because it still shows how I feel about it ;)

Return to “Subversion”