Bank Heist gameplay video

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

Iced_Eagle
level0

Bank Heist gameplay video

Postby Iced_Eagle » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Just saw this on RPS and decided to post it here (not sure if it's new or been posted already).

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11 ... more-45162

From June, so it's only gotten better! :D

Looking GREAT guys! Can't wait until I can pre-order. :)
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Wow... if it weren't for the fact that the link is a good one, and Jelco has several thousand posts, I would have assumed this was a spam thread. ;)

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks, now I know how to sustain spam a little longer!
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:01 pm

I heard about this a while back, and I already wondered why they wouldn't post the movie here, so I thought, I guess they have there reasons, but now they post it anyway in the open.. why?! And why so late?!
Treefrog
level1
level1

Postby Treefrog » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Looks really good.

I used to love the Commandos games, they where all about planning and timings, SubV is so much more what I want to play from though, Hi-tech robbery, superb.

I'd be happy with just a little bit more news before the year goes out. Fingers crossed.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:59 pm

I'm disappointed, at the beginning of the clip, I was really excited, I really loved the graphics and idea, but as it went on, I realized, there is high chance of failure. Cause, how fun and exciting was this mission really? Sure I love the idea, but if the game consists out of missions like this... I soon give it the boot. It became boring and fake.
Treefrog
level1
level1

Postby Treefrog » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:52 am

Jordy... wrote:I'm disappointed, at the beginning of the clip, I was really excited, I really loved the graphics and idea, but as it went on, I realized, there is high chance of failure. Cause, how fun and exciting was this mission really? Sure I love the idea, but if the game consists out of missions like this... I soon give it the boot. It became boring and fake.

Sure, if the mission structure is the same then yeah, it'd become a problem.

Although unlike, my example of commandos, there are multiple paths to completing the same goal, most games give you a set and optional path. SubV looks as if it gives you 5 or 6 different methods, they simply provide the tools, and you are free to explore what ever path seems to be the best option in your given scenario.

As long as there are various other missions, say planting fake evidence, rescuing a hostage, retrieving a precious item etc then I'll be very happy.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:46 am

Well, thing is, I doubt you can generate exciting missions randomly, I mean, I guess my biggest point of concern would be the fact how simple and superficial this mission was.

Commandos, at least commandos behind enemy lines, was all about careful observing the AI, and try again and again. Then you were glad if you made it once. But here in this clip, it seems like there is no real difficulty or greater plan behind it. The gameplay seems to straightforward, which makes it boring imo.

Like a commandos in FPS style with disney studios difficulty.. bad mix.
Treefrog
level1
level1

Postby Treefrog » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:25 am

Jordy... wrote:Well, thing is, I doubt you can generate exciting missions randomly, I mean, I guess my biggest point of concern would be the fact how simple and superficial this mission was.

Commandos, at least commandos behind enemy lines, was all about careful observing the AI, and try again and again. Then you were glad if you made it once. But here in this clip, it seems like there is no real difficulty or greater plan behind it. The gameplay seems to straightforward, which makes it boring imo.

Like a commandos in FPS style with disney studios difficulty.. bad mix.

Well do remember what Chris says right at the beginning, is essentially just 3 dudes setting up the company, so its probably akin to a training mission as such, some reward little penalty, but with hints are whats at stake on later levels.

It's hard to judge a game, when we know so little.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:25 am

Honestly, the game looks a lot like Uplink, but less abstract, and with a larger toolkit. If you liked Uplink, then I imagine that you will like Subversion. If not, then it seems likely that you will not like Subversion. Personally, I love Uplink, and am looking forward to a game that appears, at this point, to be a real spiritual successor to Uplink.

xander
quickdan
level1
level1

Postby quickdan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:16 am

The character controls remind me of Darwinia, but he said there was no part of the game that was for sure going to stay that way. But even at this rough stage the game looks really awesome.
If there were only two games to play in the world, I would choose a text editor and a good C compiler.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:04 am

Jordy... wrote:Like a commandos in FPS style with disney studios difficulty.. bad mix.
Well, first, this was a demonstration, you can't deduce the final difficulty from that. Second, it was stated that it would be something you'd do early in the game to get some cashflow going. Thirdly, maybe it has Uplink's roguelike save system; you only have one try. Screw up, and some of your team members get caught/killed and you have to go on without them/hire someone new.

I love the whistling, by the way. Keep that!
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:36 am

Well, I guess those are all good arguments. But what I'm really trying to say, is, it needs something special, something innovative gameplay wise.
In my opinion,, it this engine and idea is great, but to fully work it out, from what I've seen it might take a year or 5 I think. To really get a good dynamic going. I think this game could win a lot from going gta hardcore style. More depth, if this game is a about bank robbing and other stuff like that, make it more real then, make the player plan everything, in the smallest detail, normally, months go into planning, and the robbery only takes a few minutes, so that's what I would like to see then. Not like I'm walking into a candy store and do my dance and get out.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Yeah, I can see that as a problem. Planning the heist was not required at all, it was all just improvisation. That shouldn't be how it is in the final game; you should need to scout out the location, get the one or other floor plan on the black market, keycode, key or voice sample, and do all that stealthily as well, because otherwise, the victims would realize someone is planning something and up security and change codes. Simply giving the mission two phases, the scouting and execution phase, with a chance to swap team members and equipment between them and the limitation that you can't perform any actions that would be spotted at a later time during scouting, would do the trick. And naturally, during execution, speed should matter. You're not supposed to be able to hold hostages at gunpoint in an area clearly visible from the outside for more than a minute before someone calls the police, for example. And if you stand around in a bank, doing nothing, people will notice you and be able to identify you later. Watch for passive traces :)
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:53 pm

Yea exactly, something like that, perhaps you can follow bank employees to there home, tap there phones, use phone jammers when you're performing an action on the street, etc.

Return to “Subversion”