UNOFFICIAL Beta testers list

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

bobusdoleus
level1
level1

Postby bobusdoleus » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:43 am

Well there's beta testers and then there's beta testers, ne? Like, there's the people with access to a beta version that they are just expected to play, and like, let the included automated error reporting tool report any errors, and there's guys who have to set up batch files for stress testing. I actually thought that beta testing - the kind that is work - is a paid position? Not very /well/ paid, mind.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:43 am

bobusdoleus wrote:Well there's beta testers and then there's beta testers, ne? Like, there's the people with access to a beta version that they are just expected to play, and like, let the included automated error reporting tool report any errors, and there's guys who have to set up batch files for stress testing. I actually thought that beta testing - the kind that is work - is a paid position? Not very /well/ paid, mind.

IV is a very small software development company. They cannot afford to pay their beta testers. IV's beta testers are expected to work, with the only compensation being an invite to a party and a free copy of the game. Maybe. Larger companies sometimes pay beta testers, but you cannot seriously expect that from a small indie developer like IV.

xander
bobusdoleus
level1
level1

Postby bobusdoleus » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:59 am

And yet some testers don't even get the free copy? THAT MAKES ME SO ANGRY

Nah, kidding. How many hours did the whole testing thing take up?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:17 am

bobusdoleus wrote:Nah, kidding. How many hours did the whole testing thing take up?

A lot? Some testers worked hard, others did not. Jelco already mentioned that he ran Multiwinia for 14 hours straight. I, too, spent a lot of hours watching the AIs fight it out in Defcon and Multiwinia, and a fair number of hours tracking down bugs myself. Other testers, however, were lazy, and didn't do much of anything. I don't think most of them remained beta testers for very long.

xander
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:10 am

jelco wrote:Thank you for grasping the idea that testing is actual work. It's plain annoying to see 2/3rds of the people who signed up eventually just go quiet once they realize this - sometimes they complain a little first that a non-playable version 'isn't worth testing'.

huh. I just though it was for feedback and such. I'll think twice before signing up for the actual beta tester list.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:22 am

Stop that, you're getting the thread back on topic!
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:48 am

NOOOOO, I want more FLAME WARRRSSSS, 1 VS. 5 WAS SO EPIC!!!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:38 pm

jelco wrote:Yeah, launch parties are fun. I distinctly remember when zach, Xarlaxas, Hugh and I were getting a cab at the end of the night, a druggy was trying to convince us to give him money (because he needed to 'go to the hospital') by showing the gaping wound in his arm - don't think I've ever seen someone go quite as far as stabbing yourself to beg for money. It at that point became apparent that all the screaming in the background perhaps wasn't all drunk hysteria. (Not joking here by the way, that was the actual night in Shoreditch.)
I remember Xarlaxas telling me that story, although I distinctly recall him starting with either you or zach saying something on the lines of "London can't be all that bad".

Return to “Subversion”