Linux support?

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

vede
level0

Linux support?

Postby vede » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:45 am

I just remembered this project from a video I saw some time ago, and rediscovered it today. All the videos that have been posted are really exciting, and I would very much like to play Subversion when it's released. I use Linux exclusively, and I fear that I won't be able to play Subversion because of that. According to Wikipedia, all of Introversion's games have run on Linux, except for Multiwinia (which is troubling because it's the most recent one), but I couldn't find any links to Linux downloads/buy-here-pages in the store, just a big "Mac OSX users go here!" sign.

Does anyone (especially anyone involved in development) know if Subversion will be playable natively on Linux?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:00 pm

I don't know about Subversion, sorry, but what you buy through the Introversion store, you get for PC AND for Linux.

Uplink's store page wrote:Choose your OS: Runs on Windows and Linux.
etc.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 am

Failing that, IV games have a history of working very well on Wine.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:52 am

NeatNit wrote:I don't know about Subversion, sorry, but what you buy through the Introversion store, you get for PC AND for Linux.

Uplink's store page wrote:Choose your OS: Runs on Windows and Linux.
etc.

Except Multiwinia.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:54 pm

Yes but he already knows that so I didn't bother mentioning it :)
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:55 pm

I can't read! Shut up...
tel niasa
level1
level1

Re: Linux support?

Postby tel niasa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:14 pm

vede wrote:I just remembered this project from a video I saw some time ago, and rediscovered it today. All the videos that have been posted are really exciting, and I would very much like to play Subversion when it's released. I use Linux exclusively, and I fear that I won't be able to play Subversion because of that. According to Wikipedia, all of Introversion's games have run on Linux, except for Multiwinia (which is troubling because it's the most recent one), but I couldn't find any links to Linux downloads/buy-here-pages in the store, just a big "Mac OSX users go here!" sign.

Does anyone (especially anyone involved in development) know if Subversion will be playable natively on Linux?

I think that generally people who like introversion games probably also use linux or at least disagree with the monopoly microsoft has. I don't think introversion will gain anything from not releasing to linux.
Заремаколй юубални чу!
Yrael
level1
level1

Postby Yrael » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:29 pm

I think the Mac platform is getting bigger than what it was, indeed Steam is now offering Mac compatibility, but I agree with you about Windows being the most used OS, so therefore the main target for any game developper.

The extra effort IS something to be reckoned with, essentially with small indies like Introversion.
quickdan
level1
level1

Postby quickdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:26 am

I use all 3 operating systems on a daily basis. My laptop computer is a Mac/Linux dual boot, and my desktop is a Windows/Linux. I think having the option, especially for indie game devs, to run it on any OS is a good idea. All those people that might not buy the game for either practical or ethical reasons because it has no linux or mac port add up. As netbooks get more powerful and are also running linux, people will want the option to play games on them. Anyway once you have a linux port it doesn't take much more to make it run on mac as they are basically the same platform.
I think the Mac platform is getting bigger than what it was
I totally agree and as each system gets closer and closer graphics wise more games will be released for them.
If there were only two games to play in the world, I would choose a text editor and a good C compiler.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:32 pm

The one recent statistic in favor of Linux/Mac ports:
http://www.humblebundle.com/
According to the info from the site, most of the sales of the HIB2 went to Windows, roughly 20% of the total to Mac and Linux each. That doesn't sound like much, but together, that's a significant contribution, and the average Mac customer payed 38% more than the average Windows customer, the average Linux customer 106% more. So really significant income came from the non-Windows versions there. It has to be noted, of course, that the Braid version for Linux was first available in the HIB2. That probably skewed both the sales numbers and purchase price.

Return to “Subversion”