Prison Architect Multiplayer Alpha 1 (Update 16)

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Prison Architect Multiplayer Alpha 1 (Update 16)

Postby John » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:04 pm

Prison Architect Update 16 / Multiplayer Alpha has been released.

UPDATE: Non-steam users can now download the latest version from the builds page.

STEAM USERS: This update is on the steam branch 'beta', meaning it will not automatically download. You must manually switch to that branch to see this new version.
- Right click on Prison Architect in your games list
- Click 'Properties'
- Click 'Betas'
- Select 'beta' from the list. (Restart steam if it doesn't show up)
- The update will then download.

WHAT'S NEW:
= Multiplayer Alpha
Added a multiplayer mode to Prison Architect, build a prison cooperatively with up to 8 people!
While in a regular sandbox game of Prison Architect you can select to Go Online and host a multiplayer game that people can join.
This game can be publicly listed or set to private and protected with a password.
When players have joined you can see them as a marker in the world and can see what material or object they have currently selected and
are about to build.

This is our first alpha release of multiplayer mode, with a focus on getting the core functionality working. This means that some features are
not currently available to connected clients and we plan on adding them over time as we continue working on multiplayer.

= Currently disabled on clients but will be coming in the near future
- Wire connections
- Deployment
- Logistics
- Intelligence
- Emergency callouts (can be controlled but can't be called in)
- Reports
- Prison Grading
- Graphs

- Mod Support
Added Custom Report Window which can be used by scripted objects to display a mod defined report screen when you click on the object, similar
to the Prisoner's rapsheet. Simply set HasCustomReport to true on the scripted object, and then call SetReportTabs to add tabs to the report.
In the script's PopulateReport function, use the add and remove report component functions to display components for the given tab index.
Components can be modified later using the SetComponentProperties function.

Stay up to date:
Follow us on Steam
Like us on the FB
Subscribe to our Blog
Subscribe to our Youtube channel
Follow us on Twitter
Join our mailing list
Follow our twitch.tv livestream - we sometimes code live on twitch
Daimyo21
level0

Re: Prison Architect Multiplayer Alpha 1 (Update 16)

Postby Daimyo21 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:56 pm

I can't believe I just stumbled on this. I've periodically searched for Prison Architect MP Mod for the past 2-3 years and you just posted this a couple days ago. Thanks so much for developing this as I've been wanting to build a prison cooperatively for a while with friends/family.

As a modder myself and hopeful future game developer, how hard was it to implement MP to such a heavy simulation style game like PA? Was the choice community driven and or did you guys as gamers want to build prisons cooperatively as well?

Thanks!
Olo555
level0

Postby Olo555 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:58 am

I can't wait for this, keep up the good work!
Umberghost
level0

Postby Umberghost » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:25 pm

Still waiting for the forum build...
wolletd
level0

Postby wolletd » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Also, apparently the Steam Beta is Windows only for now. Which is ok, but would be nice if mentioned somewhere.
Gangrene
level1
level1

Postby Gangrene » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:22 am

Chris / Mark or whoever hears this...

THIS! Well, not exactly this... I see what was on my dream list. Not really looking for co-op.

Here is the mode we need. 1 player is the warden... other players are all prisoners. That would be fun for a huge MMO type of game. or king of the prison type of thing. Lots of potential there. That'd be good, but this is the LEVEL 2 stuff we need to get to...

8 players, no problem! One player is the warden, the other players are gang leaders out to win the game!. Each player is in a different gang. You recruit other members, like in break out mode, and can switch between them. Every gang is out to eliminate the other gangs... take over the prison, cause a riot and shut the prison down, or get out of the prison. Gangs can team up, verbally(discord or whatever) to take out stronger gangs holding important parts of the prison. Meanwhile the warden is trying to keep the peace and keep from getting his prison shut down. There is SO MUCH potential to such a multiplayer game. I'd buy copies of this game for my friends! Fog of war and your gangs vision grows with more members. You figure out a way to include voice chat where two players' prison characters can meet up and talk to one another, but no one hears it including the warden, unless he's got a snitch!... Maybe guards, as players(5 gangs, 1 warden, 2 guards?), and they can also get paid off to help one of the gangs. Give the warden vision like warden mode(FOW), but he can build the camera system and if he's looking at it see all the camera at the same time like a monitoring system. Man, so many fun things you could do with your friends in a game like that. Gangs get money, pay people to join, sell drugs to addicts for cash, some kind of jail economy. The possibilities are endless. Maybe the gangs are out to kill the warden, but because of fog of war he has to move about the prison to make things happen and expand.

Maybe there are 100's of prisoners, but 7 are the players and the warden can't tell them apart, has limited FOW for observing, and they like before are gang leaders, invisible gangs... can't tell who's in or out(members), the player can switch control between them. So the warden can't just throw someone in solitary... that might just be a bot, you can't tell... but the warden has snitches and he become those snitches. The warden is trying to get all the players locked down and figure out who they are. If they can eliminate all of the players the warden wins, but if a player kills the warden they win. Maybe the player can't switch members while in cuffs and if that player lands in solitary, they're out... or maybe there is only "X" number of solitary cells.

You make a new game around multiplayer concepts like this with better graphics in "Prison Architect 2"... I'll throw the $60, tier I title money down on that game. Chris, I know you want to make those other games, but this is what I want to see and this could be THE next fun multiplayer game everyone's out to get. Just tell Mark we'll give him money. I think he's the money talks kind of guy.

I like this warden + snitches(1 player) vs. players(7) mechanic... trying to find members of the group who are out to see him dead. Players look like ordinary prisoners and try to blend in, can even have the AI control their guy, but at times they run around to do stuff as happens in the game(gather weapons and such). Kill a guard, grab a gun, get a key, but if that coup fails many players may be "outed". If the warden is in the body of a snitch(who the players can tell it's the warden either) see them running around in a obvious player kind of way the jig is up and he can toss that player in solitary, basically taking them out of the conspiracy to kill the warden. Players can find snitches too and take them out when the warden isn't in that person(they think) and give him one less prisoner to manipulate... unless he brings another prisoner to his office to have that one become a snitch. Hope it's not a player though because they could "come alive" and kill the warden.

Thanks! So many ideas, so much potential!
Jackson_Evans
level0

Postby Jackson_Evans » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:38 am

Guys... please login atleast once a day to messenger on fb.... i’ve been leaving messages but none gets delivered at all!

Ive only recently really got into prison architect and must say im pleasantly surprised to see MP being introduced this is awesome! I cant wait to see what the future holds..

Alltough i do hope devs can maybe open the modding up some more.. i wonder why no one has mad specific cheat mods ie to turn off the “Safety” need or turn off something else

Would love to be able to turn off those things i cannot master yet while i try to improve my other designs lol the game can be challanging and i wonder why theres no easy, hard super mode that would give new players an easyer chance lol i am half of time dealing with riots
WolfManOfGaming
level0

Postby WolfManOfGaming » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:32 pm

It should be possible for both players in a coop to be able to use the logistics and intellegence. So one person can focus on making sure prisoners are in the correct places while the other goes and builds areas
Kaktus
level0

Postby Kaktus » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:44 pm

Any ETA on the Linux Build for this? Or the Linux Steam Version?
Stella365
level0

Postby Stella365 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:23 pm

Fantastic! You are doing a great job, guys.
LouisJJohnson
level0

Postby LouisJJohnson » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:28 am

I think you don't have to forward port for it, you just have to host it. By the way if you are looking for high demand job near you then just click on the https://www.we-heart.com/2021/03/15/top-high-demand-freelance-jobs/ and know about high demand freelance job near you.

Return to “Introversion Blog”