Number of players : Doubled

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
dreamer84
level0

Postby dreamer84 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Welllll, to be honest, I already bought the games at Steam before, but I thought supporting you guys again + humblebundle was worth it. And at some later point learning that I can now have a look at the source code as well - you folks are awesome!
ynbniar
level5
level5

Re: Number of players : Doubled

Postby ynbniar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Chris wrote:...discussed the possibility of an Introversion bundle over a round of Disk Golf in San Francisco’s Golden Gate park.

Hah been there too...

trankzen
level0

Postby trankzen » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:16 am

Damn it! I got so busy with work I missed the deadline on this... No possibility of a rerun I guess, so I'll never get to play with the tech demos. Ah, procrastination...
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:30 am

I've been wondering about the price scheme for the humble bundle service. Since a program is technically a renewable resource, why price it so high? For obvious reasons, people will buy the game if they can pay a cent for it. It can also completely flop if it's a bad game, but I don't think ANY indie developer would make a bad game. I don't have a money card, but my friend bought it for me as a gift since he knew how interested I was in Introversion. He paid a two cents; a download for him, and a download for me.

I realize there are apps for a dollar. BUT, that's a DOLLAR. Alot of things are worth a dollar. That, also, is an APP. It would be very difficult for an app to amount to a really nice indie game. Apps are out of the question.

I say games should be priced as cheap as the humble bundle sells them, unless there's a reason why something can't be priced so low?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:13 pm

GreenRock wrote:I've been wondering about the price scheme for the humble bundle service. Since a program is technically a renewable resource, why price it so high? For obvious reasons, people will buy the game if they can pay a cent for it. It can also completely flop if it's a bad game, but I don't think ANY indie developer would make a bad game. I don't have a money card, but my friend bought it for me as a gift since he knew how interested I was in Introversion. He paid a two cents; a download for him, and a download for me.

I realize there are apps for a dollar. BUT, that's a DOLLAR. Alot of things are worth a dollar. That, also, is an APP. It would be very difficult for an app to amount to a really nice indie game. Apps are out of the question.

I say games should be priced as cheap as the humble bundle sells them, unless there's a reason why something can't be priced so low?

I...I...I don't even know where to begin...
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:16 pm

GreenRock wrote:He paid a two cents; a download for him, and a download for me.

Servers that can handle the amount of traffic that humblebundle.com gets are not free. Services like paypal are not entirely free either. When you choose to pay 1 cent, the people behind the humble bundles actually lose some money. I'm glad not everybody thinks like you / your friend.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:27 pm

Go GREENROCK!!! I paid .01 cent as well. We are the 1% LOL
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 pm

"Stop acting like you're an adult. Stop talking like you know how the world works. Stop thinking you've got it all figured out. You don't deserve playing these games, and you're out of your fucking mind if you think you have any right to justify what you're doing. "

LOL

Can't get much better then this..

Stop acting like you're an adult. - Stop thinking you've got it all figured out.

Stop talking like you know how the world works. - You don't deserve playing these games, and you're out of your fucking mind if you think you have any right to justify what you're doing.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:40 am

GreenRock wrote:I'm a deep-pocketed cunt with T-Rex arms
Everyone wants a refund for the two minutes spent reading that. No one owes it to you.
cody_au
level0

Postby cody_au » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:23 am

jelco wrote:This is exactly what's wrong with the whole all-software-should-be-free movement, all those people proclaiming that anything digital is "for the people" by design, and the conception that an ability to share makes piracy legal.

No, it's just what's wrong with that one loser guy. The actual free software movement is based on philosophical arguments about anti-capitalism, personal freedom, and helping your neighbour. I don't think it necessarily works, but if you were to look into it you might agree it deserves a little more respect than just being dismissed, if not for what it is then what it's trying to do (altruistically) :-)
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:26 am

I guess I brought this on myself.

Well, in all honesty, my friend did actually pay for it. He has a forum account here he almost never uses. Trail_Micks, I believe. I didn't expect such opposition, honestly. Which would explain why I would even mention the cent deal in the first place. I don't know how the entire world works, but I guess SOMEONE here does... *cough*Jelco*cough*.

First off, games from a developer like Introversion are worth playing.
Jelco wrote:You pay the people that work their asses of so you can have your five minutes of amusement before your attention span wanders off into something else.

You're criticizing Chris's, and every game developer's profession. Stop it. I realize there's something ethically wrong with paying peanuts to a developer, but the Humble Bundle DID offer that as a payment option. Introversion knew what they were getting themselves into, with the Humble Bundle. Denouncing everyone who payed low is denouncing the deal Introversion agreed to. Money makes the world go 'round, afterall, but Chris ENJOYS his job.
Chris wrote:And the best part of all - the part that makes me most happy, is that this promotion has doubled the number of people who have played our games.

Even if people paid one cent for his games, they're playing something he created. Chris is one of those people who programs games for fun, not because he HAS to. That's why he's an indie developer. He makes games, and people play them.

Jelco wrote:Stop acting like you're an adult. Stop talking like you know how the world works. Stop thinking you've got it all figured out. You don't deserve playing these games, and you're out of your fucking mind if you think you have any right to justify what you're doing.

Okay.

Mas Tnega wrote:
GreenRock wrote:I'm a deep-pocketed cunt with T-Rex arms

At least this made me laugh. Jelco's reply just made me cry and scramble for a justification which he already denounced T-T

mibias wrote:Servers that can handle the amount of traffic that humblebundle.com gets are not free. Services like paypal are not entirely free either. When you choose to pay 1 cent, the people behind the humble bundles actually lose some money. I'm glad not everybody thinks like you / your friend.

I was oblivious to this. Unlike the others, you've enlightened me. I think Jelco tried to do something like you did here, but he mixed it up with some unnecessary ad-hominem shtuff that I didn't really enjoy reading.

I just figured more people will buy it if it's cheaper, and a cent is as cheap as it gets. And you know what. When I'm older. I'm going to make a game. I'm going to work on it for about a year. Then. I'm going to sell it for a cent. And I will have the last laugh... ha...ha ha... haaa............. :/ I can't really compare to any of your intellects, being that I'm younger. This is unfair. I declare this argument over.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:55 am

GreenRock wrote:I just figured more people will buy it if it's cheaper, and a cent is as cheap as it gets. And you know what. When I'm older. I'm going to make a game. I'm going to work on it for about a year. Then. I'm going to sell it for a cent. And I will have the last laugh... ha...ha ha... haaa............. :/

Enjoy spending more money than you'd make to distribute a game that you only charge a cent for.

The Humble Bundle website does actually mention that people who don't pay at least X (I think it's about $1) are actually going to be costing them money and that they'd rather you didn't do that, for obvious reasons.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:14 pm

GreenRock wrote:I just figured more people will buy it if it's cheaper, and a cent is as cheap as it gets.

No, free is as cheap as it gets so why didn't you just...

that were in the Humble Bundle?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:57 am

Congrats! Other than the money of course, having more people play your games must feel good.
Trail Mix
level1
level1

Postby Trail Mix » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:14 am

Dear everybody ragging on GreenRock:
As he said,he was not the one who paid $.01 for the games he has.
I did.
Kindly stop shooting the messenger like gun happy rednecks in the middle of a Louisiana swamp. I paid above the average (at the time 3.XX, I paid 4) and decided it'd be nice to give my friend some games. I asked him if he wanted it and he was all like 'sure bro' and paid the one cent for four games. Why I did not pay above average is another story, dealing with sparkly vampires and bubbling masses of omnivorous pinkish goo. It was my decision to give him the four games. Not yours. Not the devs. Not him, to a certain extent.
You want somebody to direct your hatred on the matter?
COME AT ME BRO.
Not really. But seriously, quit being butthurt over something as trivial as one cent. I can find one cent under my fridge. Or couch cushion. Or fuck, I dunno, in a five year olds intestine? Anyways. It was the devs decision to let the games go for as cheaply as $.01, and I took advantage of that. And you know what?
I regret nothing.
Because seriously, I only had $4.25 in my bank account. And fuck you if you're going to say 'WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU PAY $.25?'
Because shut up.
Shut up is why.

Return to “Introversion Blog”