Introversion Love Linux

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Mark
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Introversion Love Linux

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:20 pm

We’ve been enjoying a massive response to our Humble Introversion Bundleand we noticed a continuing theme relating to Desura. We were planning on getting in touch with those guys, but the number of requests for Desura keys to be included in the bundle spurred us on and we’re pleased to announce that we completed the fastest distribution deal in IV’s history and all our games are now available on the Desura platform for PC and Linux, and all Humble customers will be able to activate the games on Desura, by grabbing the key from the humble download page.

Allthough Desura is cross-platform it was the Linux take up that interested us the most. We’ve always had a great affinity with the Linux guys. Right at the start we knew that Uplink was going to appeal to the hacker inside every Linux user and we got a port out as soon as we could. A couple of days later we learnt about web resilience the hard way when Slashdot ran the story about our Linux hacking game and absolutely pwnd the IV site for about a week.

More recently we took the decision to really scrub up all of our Linux ports to give the best possible service we could. Specifically, we updated all four games to the latest Linux libraries and all our language translations and game updates are now included. We prepared 32 bit and 64 bit rpms and debs, as well as nix installers for each game - we know you Linux guys love having choice. 20 packages later, we were ready to launch into the Humble Bundle and once again we have been overwhelmed by the response with Linux users spending more on the bundle than the Mac community and having an average donation running at almost three times that of the PC players. Thanks Guys!

We also know Linux users love tinkering with the source code so we’ve decided to release that as well for all our games. We can’t grant the right to release versions of the games on other platforms because this is something that we want to do ourselves, but if this is something you’re really keen to do, drop us a line and we’ll see if we can sort something out. For instance If you show us a working Pandora version we’re not going to stop you launching, but we’ll need to have a conversation first. We’re tackling all the IOS versions ourselves though, so we won’t be granting licenses for this :)

So one last thing - we will be continuing to support Linux in the future and we promise to have a Linux version of Prison Architect alongside Mac and PC.

Follow us to stay up to date:
Subscribe to our Blog
Subscribe to our Youtube channel
Follow us on Twitter
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:25 pm

An iOS version of Darwinia sounds like fun, what with those gestures and everything.
Tom.K
level1
level1
Location: The Universe / Milky Way / Solar System / Earth / Europe / Croatia

Postby Tom.K » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:30 pm

microchip08 wrote:An iOS version of Darwinia sounds like fun, what with those gestures and everything.

I would rather want ports to Android, though. Shame that Android is based on Java mostly.
Spybot-S&D 2.0 Alpha Tester
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:36 pm

I'm refusing to buy the bundle until you include BBC Micro versions.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Jalister
level1
level1

Re: Introversion Love Linux

Postby Jalister » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:26 pm

Mark wrote:We’ve been enjoying a massive response to our Humble Introversion Bundleand we noticed a continuing theme relating to Desura. We were planning on getting in touch with those guys, but the number of requests for Desura keys to be included in the bundle spurred us on and we’re pleased to announce that we completed the fastest distribution deal in IV’s history and all our games are now available on the Desura platform for PC and Linux, and all Humble customers will be able to activate the games on Desura, by grabbing the key from the humble download page.

Simply put, this is awesome. I wondered if a distribution deal could be put together this quickly. Hopefully this says great things about the relationship. I do keep hitting refresh to see if the keys have shown up yet. Oh, there it is!

Thanks!

EDIT - Thanks for listening and getting this done so fast. I have now tripled my total for the Humble Introversion Bundle.
agent_86
level0

Postby agent_86 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Thank you thank you thank you - you guys just made my evening, I just tripled my original order amount. Awesomeness, can't wait for the next game :)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Aaargh, don't admit their spammy spam worked. Now we'll never see the end of it.
recover
level1
level1

Postby recover » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:07 am

Is this agreement compatible with your Steam agreement? Doesn't Valve have a content distribution monopoly or something like that?

That's what made EA remove some of their games since they started distributing with Origin.

Still, good move! I don't like Valve's monopoly.
PaladinOfKaos
level1
level1

Postby PaladinOfKaos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:10 am

I'd support Introversion just on the basis of your awesome games, but it's your continued commitment to Linux that's really cemented your position as my favorite development studio. Keep up the good work.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:20 am

recover wrote:Doesn't Valve have a content distribution monopoly or something like that?

No.
Jalister
level1
level1

Postby Jalister » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:02 am

Montyphy wrote:I'm refusing to buy the bundle until you include BBC Micro versions.

Montyphy wrote:I bought this for the prototypes and soundtracks. :D

Which is it?
Jalister
level1
level1

Postby Jalister » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:04 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:Aaargh, don't admit their spammy spam worked. Now we'll never see the end of it.

Hey.... don't derail this thread. :wink:
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:05 am

Well, clearly he was joking about the prototypes and soundtracks.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:22 am

Yeah, sorry, by bought I actually meant pirated.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Lucretiel
level0

Postby Lucretiel » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:42 am

I'm loving the source code. Any chance of seeing some for City Generator or Voxel Physics?

Return to “Introversion Blog”