Prison Architect : Revealed!

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Prison Architect : Revealed!

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:45 pm

Our secret treasure hunt has concluded, and has revealed our first Prison Architect video. We hope you like it - please spread the word, tweet it, link it, google+ it. Most of all, enjoy it, and be sure to watch it in HD fullscreen, it makes quite a difference.

We like our dark themes here at Introversion, and this one has been particularly hard to get right. Prisons are an emotive and political issue, and if mishandled a game about prisons would probably be a very uncomfortable experience. We think we’ve got the feel about right. Many people have correctly identified our big influences for this project in Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper, or just about anything by Bullfrog. We love those games so much, and mixing their mechanics with a topic like prisons has been an incredibly satisfying creative challenge.

Back in October we worked crazily hard to produce a build of Prison Architect we were satisfied with (albeit an early version of the game), and submitted that build to the IGF for judgement. If you’re an IGF judge or jury and you haven’t yet played Prison Architect, please give it a look.

For those that didn’t realise, Introversion has been running a secret treasure hunt for the past week since the Humble Bundle launched, embedding images from Prison Architect in the Subversion tech demos and sending others out to a few select journalists. The five polaroids fit together to produce a string of characters, which leads to a hidden Prison Architect website. Well done to everyone who found the various images and in particular to the Introversion hardcore who meticulously documented every polaroid sighting in this forum thread. A special mention must go to blacknova404, who was the first to find the secret video. Well done sir - we’re sending you a full set of everything from the Introversion collection, including boxed copies of all our games, posters and soundtracks. Gratz!

Here is the full set of polaroids we used. Click the thumbnail to see them fullsize. We would like to introduce Ryan Sumo as our resident Prison Architect artist - he’s the man responsible for these incredible story polaroids, as well as all of the game graphics you see in the video above. Ryan first came to our attention because of his work in Spacechem, and we think he’s amazingly talented. With a theme like prisons we knew we needed a highly skilled artist to convey the gravity of the story and the inner thoughts of our characters, and we’ve really enjoyed working with him on this project.

The first previews of Prison Architect are starting to appear:
- Pc Gamer (UK) has an article about the game in this months mag based on playing the first level, which has been reprinted online here. Our favourite quote : “It’s probably the darkest tutorial I’ve ever played”.
- Rock Paper Shotgun have also been playing the game and have just posted an article about it here.

All of this information will be going up on our official website soon : www.prison-architect.com

We’d also like to say a big thank you to the literally hundreds of thousands of people who have just bought our games via the Humble Bundle. This has been the best promotion we’ve ever done, both in terms of the number of games sold and also the money raised. As of yesterday the Humble Bundle now includes the complete source code to all four of our games, as well as Dungeons of Dredmor, Aquaria and Crayon Physics Deluxe if you beat the average price (currently about $4). That’s on top of all four of our games and two Subversion tech demos! If you haven’t bought this yet please consider donating - you can pay whatever you like and time is running out. One third of your money goes to some very worthy charities and you’ll be supporting Introversion as we continue to develop our next games.

Follow us to stay up to date:
Subscribe to our Blog
Subscribe to our Youtube channel
Follow us on Twitter
Last edited by Chris on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Good trailer, edgy soundtrack is terrific.

Launch party at Alcatraz :?:
Seitaro
level2
level2

Postby Seitaro » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Hah, Dungeon Keeper. I remember trying to get that to work online in Windows XP. I never did get to play it. :cry: Hopefully this will be deliciously similar.
Turn on, tune in, drop out.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:23 pm

Yes.

Yes, please.
Rekka
level0

Postby Rekka » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:11 pm

I was a bit skeptical when you first annouced it but now, reading these 2 previews, seeing this video and your influences, I must admit I am eagerly waiting for more informations about Prison Architect. :P
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:23 pm

Still curious about the other 4 Polaroids. ;
Weatherproof
level1
level1

Postby Weatherproof » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:21 pm

Seems like you're keeping the music style from a previous blog post :) Will the music still by dynamic or have you scrapped that tool as well :P
Gemberkoekje
level1
level1

Postby Gemberkoekje » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:26 pm

zach wrote:Yes.

Yes, please.

Quoted for truth.

AWESOME!!!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:27 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Still curious about the other 4 Polaroids. ;

Same.

Red herrings?
screeg
level0

Postby screeg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:30 pm

Amazing! I hope you realize some of the potential in individual prisoner stories to take this beyond simple prison management. In addition to some particularly interesting prisoners with scripted stories, I'd love to see a procedurally generated file on every inmate, just basically a rap sheet, level of education, potential for rehabilitation, violence, etc. Then the player could have a more substantial goal: to rehabilitate inmates for release, or to keep them oppressed so you can keep earning money for their keep. Giving each prisoner a name and some statistics could make this an amazing experience.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:37 pm

I'm interested in the Dwarf Fortress influences, I remember it being mentioned earlier and I'm excited to see how that works.
JJJ
level0

Postby JJJ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:40 pm

Excited about this, especially with the DF influences.

Ecstatic about getting my hands on the city generator tech demo and game source code though! Can we now have the tech demo source code please?
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Excited for this game, albeit a little worried about it being a little too close to actual work for me. As the only person on here who hasn't played dwarf fortress I can only hope that it's a good thing. :D
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:08 am

I didn't have high hopes for this before. But after reading that RPS article I do. When's beta testing start /keen
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:17 am

Feud wrote:I'm interested in the Dwarf Fortress influences, I remember it being mentioned earlier and I'm excited to see how that works.

From what I know of Dwarf fortress, presumably we need to keep the prisoners well supplied with alcohol while making sure their escape attempts don't dig down into hell?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Return to “Introversion Blog”