Announcing the Humble Introversion Bundle

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Announcing the Humble Introversion Bundle

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:00 pm

About a month ago we announced that we had put Subversion on ice. We really struggled to find a good game in Subversion, and we ultimately felt we had no choice but to shelve it for that simple yet unavoidable reason. A new game called Prison Architect was born from the ashes, and we will be talking more about that soon.

One thing that was very cool about Subversion was the technology we developed for it. We spent months tinkering with procedural city generators and voxel systems. We spent so long tinkering with technology that we literally forgot to make a game. We’ve no regrets whatsoever in cancelling Subversion, but we do very much regret that all of that awesome technology we developed will simply never see the light of day.

Until now. We are releasing that technology for you to play with, and we are doing it today. In fact it’s already done. If you are so inclined, you can own our Procedural City Generator, and our Voxel Physics demo, right now. And the best part is you can pay whatever you feel it’s worth to you - give us just a cent if you like, or your life savings. Or something in-between.

Introducing the Humble Introversion Bundle. Introversion has teamed up with the Humble boys to bring you the deal of Introversion’s lifetime. In this bundle you will find all four of Introversion’s classic games - Uplink, Darwinia, DEFCON and Multiwinia, as well as the awesome soundtracks for Darwinia and DEFCON. You can name your price, and all the games come for Pc, Mac, Linux and Steam. In addition, if you pay above the average price you will also receive the IGF grand prize winning classics Aquaria and Crayon Physics Deluxe. That’s three IGF grand prize winners in one bundle! And a (customisable) third of your donation will be split between two charities - the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and the Child’s Play charity.

We know a lot of Introversion fans probably own our games already, and we wanted to include something specifically for you guys as a token of our appreciation. We’ve included two tech demos created during the Subversion years that we think you will find very interesting. These tech demos are Windows only.

The first is our procedural city generator, originally built to provide the “campaign map” for Subversion in which the game would take place. This tech demo can generate massive and detailed cities in just a few minutes, and no two cities will ever be the same - the whole thing is generated randomly right there on your system. Alternatively at the start of the tech demo you can enter a seed value which will generate a city deterministically based on that seed - try your name, or your girlfriends name, or your cats name, or whatever you like. Tweet us @IVsoftware if you find interesting city layouts - we love to hear what other people have created with our tech. Here’s a vid showing the city generator in action:

The second demo is our Voxel Physics system. You can read the original blog post about this project here. This was a brilliantly fun side project that mixed a Minecraft style voxel engine with some realtime physics, and then added rocket launchers. Left click to destroy blocks, right click to fire a rocket which will destroy even more blocks. There’s loads of options to play with so have fun.

Curious where our City Generator came from? Read all about the gestation of it in these blog posts spanning several years:
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introv ... .php?t=586
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introv ... .php?t=733
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introv ... php?t=1132
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introv ... php?t=1837

If you approve of the Humble Introversion Bundle please help us to spread the word as far and as wide as possible! Like it, tweet it, Google+ it, even tell your friends verbally. And make sure you are signed up to our channels to hear all the Introversion news first.

Subscribe to our Blog
Subscribe to our Youtube channel
Follow us on Twitter
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Gah, now I have to get that just for those tech demos :P
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:29 pm

Damn it, I totally said I'd give Child's Play all of the money if you released this kind of thing but then you put in that tech demo...

Nonetheless, is bought!
xiotex
level0

Postby xiotex » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Well done guys and good luck!
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Shock! Horror!
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Double post!

You guys should consider adding the source code to the bundle.

Also, what about the Uplink Soundtrack?
MrBrown
level1
level1

Postby MrBrown » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Well I already have bought all your games but I'll buy this nevertheless just for the prototypes and to support you 8)
Jalister
level1
level1

Desura

Postby Jalister » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:45 pm

I purchased this bundle within minutes of its launch. Darwinia and Defcon have been on my wishlist for a little while now. I do have a request though. Since these games are available on Linux, please consider putting these up on Desura and providing Desura keys. This has been something I have liked a lot about many titles in previous bundles. My Desura account is getting nice and full with great indie titles.

Thanks for the bundle!
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:51 pm

I bought this for the prototypes and soundtracks. :D
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
bmr5770
level0

Re: Desura

Postby bmr5770 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:00 pm

Jalister wrote:I purchased this bundle within minutes of its launch. Darwinia and Defcon have been on my wishlist for a little while now. I do have a request though. Since these games are available on Linux, please consider putting these up on Desura and providing Desura keys. This has been something I have liked a lot about many titles in previous bundles. My Desura account is getting nice and full with great indie titles.

Thanks for the bundle!

I second the call for Desura keys. We (Linux users) *just* got a good, drm free, native distribution platform and this is now the 2nd bundle to not give out keys for it. What's stopping these titles from being available on Desura?

Update: I've purchased five bundles but will double each order amount when Desura keys are provided.
Last edited by bmr5770 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xeon06
level1
level1

Postby Xeon06 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:00 pm

From the moment you guys released the first video of that city generator, I started working on my own. I didn't get nearly as far as you guys did (only had the basic road network layout generated) so this comes as a huge positive surprise. Thanks for not wasting it!
monkeyman23555
level1
level1

Postby monkeyman23555 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:09 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Double post!

You guys should consider adding the source code to the bundle.

Also, what about the Uplink Soundtrack?

While I will buy it, I agree fully with this comment, source code is pretty much required that something could potentially be born from this awesome technology...

(I would love to dig into the code and explore a little...)
Xeon06
level1
level1

Postby Xeon06 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Ah, you cannot export cities using the generator. Of course this would require some licensing scheme of some sort, but without exporting or source code, this is basically just eye candy. Either way, although I am a bit disappointed, I do not regret the 25$ of my 45$ that went solely to you guys.
Matrix 101
level0

Postby Matrix 101 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:36 pm

Haha, I already own all those (great) games :shock: (except Aquaria).
But I bought it again, to support you! :mrgreen:

And this way I'll have DEFCON & Darwinia soundtracks too.
And I'll play with you tech demos (cool move).
I wish you the best! 8)
Jalister
level1
level1

Re: Desura

Postby Jalister » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:30 am

bmr5770 wrote:I second the call for Desura keys. We (Linux users) *just* got a good, drm free, native distribution platform and this is now the 2nd bundle to not give out keys for it. What's stopping these titles from being available on Desura?

Update: I've purchased five bundles but will double each order amount when Desura keys are provided.

If you purchased the Humble Voxatron Debut, you can contact support and they may provide you with a Desura key for Blocks That Matter. I got one.

I generally pay more for the Desura option as well.

Return to “Introversion Blog”