The Next Game

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Vampyre
level1
level1

sad

Postby Vampyre » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Ouch... How sad... :-( Subversion looked so inspiring... Shame...

But I'm still confident in that choice, even I trully hope Subversion will one day come out of the dark.
arwin
level1
level1

Postby arwin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:09 pm

ynbniar wrote:Ditto, great news I reckon...some kind of teaser please :P :?:

Here is the only teaser I could find: http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entry2012.php?id=349
mrxak
level1
level1

Postby mrxak » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:18 pm

I can't say I'm surprised, at all really. Still, very disappointed. I didn't really care if Subversion was devoid of an actual game, it was still a neat concept, like Uplink was. I pretty much could tell nothing was there, but I would have played it anyway. Look, not everything Introversion makes has to be a game, just look at Uplink... not much of a game there, but still fun and interesting. Darwinia was barely a game. Only DEFCON and Multiwinia have truly been games instead of concepts. I still really enjoyed Uplink and Darwinia. To tell the truth, I played both more than I ever did DEFCON and Multiwinia. I like experimental sandboxes, and if the concept is cool enough, who cares if it's linear and lacking gameness. People keep mentioning Minecraft, but look, Minecraft isn't a game either. It's still a lot of fun.

So, hopefully Subversion comes back someday. Regardless of how much of a game it ends up being, I really wanted to play it. Maybe some time away from it will help clear the mind and let them really narrow down what it is they want to do with it. Let me be clear, I really, really want to play a procedurally generated heist/puzzle game, even if there's only one or two ways of beating a map, as long as I can pick my missions and be a l33t hax0r/master thief.

As for the new game, I'm a bit surprised at the concept. It looks, ah, hmm. I'll reserve judgement until I see some actual gameplay, I suppose. From the one screenshot I've seen, graphically it looks... un-Introversion. I'd rather play with wireframes, frankly, as long as it's a cool concept.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Introversion quasi-games are a genre of their own. Embrace that and your fans will want to play.
-mrxak
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:42 pm

...just look at Uplink... not much of a game there, but still fun and interesting. Darwinia was barely a game... People keep mentioning Minecraft, but look, Minecraft isn't a game either...

I have to wonder what your definition of "game" is.

Uplink, Darwinia and Minecraft are fun, they have obstacles to overcome, and it is possible to win or lose. What's missing?

Granted, you can't really "lose" a level in Darwinia, there's no "Game Over" screen, but you can screw up enough to make the level unwinnable, and have to reset the level.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:02 am

For Minecraft, that would be:
  • Obstacles that you're forced to overcome.
  • A perceivable ultimate state.
  • A point to it all.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:22 am

To be fair, Minecraft currently has a win condition.

Of course, people prefer to faff about and build giant cocks.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:19 am

Mas Tnega wrote:
  • A point to it all.
Minecraft has a bit of a point (to survive, collect valuable items, craft and build) so I have to assume you meant "a story to follow".
If that's the case, you're saying Tetris isn't a game?
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:58 pm

I did mean a point. Tetris has "To get the highest score, for bragging rights", Minecraft has "To get shinier things, for... getting shinier things?"
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:58 pm

You get an actual victory screen in minecraft if you kill the ender dragon.

So yes, there is a point, people just don't care about it.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Xocrates wrote:You get an actual victory screen in minecraft if you kill the ender dragon.

So yes, there is a point, people just don't care about it.

So there's no point to the point?...hmm :?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Xocrates wrote:Of course, people prefer to faff about and build giant cocks.

Hmmm... I haven't noticed any of those in our server... yet...
Gemberkoekje
level1
level1

Postby Gemberkoekje » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:15 pm

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/25/priso ... t-preview/

As for the whole game vs point debate, it's true that some games, from a technical or theoretical point of view, aren't games at all.

However, it's all definitions and such nonsense.

In my opinion, if you are having fun sculpting giant boobs in Minecraft, well, why not?
If you're having fun wandering around aimlessly in GTA, turning around quickly to see cars appear and vanish and annoy yourself at that, why not?
It you're enjoying yourself with Garry's Mod (Which isn't a game in any definition) why not?

No need for this game debate, just have fun!
celina28
level0

Postby celina28 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:34 am

Children have always been encouraged to work puzzles to help develop hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills and advanced problem solving skills. Teachers use riddles and puzzles to encourage children to think more strategically and these benefits are more adult puzzle games to play online. There are also some health benefits to others who can come just to enjoy an online puzzle game from time to time.

mahjong
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:04 pm

celina28 wrote:--==<snip>==--

mahjong

Are you a spambot? Or just really good at writing posts that look like spam?

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:17 pm

I have it on my 'wait for it to edit the post, then ban' watchlist.

Return to “Introversion Blog”