The Next Game

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:58 pm

Great news. If you guys felt this new game's concept was good enough to surplant Subversion then I'm right behind you. Can't wait to hear more.

Anyone else curious for a couple of screenshots just to see where Subversion got to?
Finn
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Feud wrote:
bert_the_turtle wrote:Better news than many of us had feared :)

Indeed. I had figured that if no news came out within a few more months, then it probably meant that IV had gone bankrupt.

Certainly a few people were thinking that IV may have become more of a weekend project.

Good work chaps, keep it up, I can't wait! Hope this one sells like Uplink and Defcon and not *winia! If it all goes pear-shaped again there will always be the option of selling your souls (ie your Subversion technology) to some big globocorp - that stuff probably has far more scope for the future than half of the next big things I've seen in a decade.
biotech
level1
level1

Postby biotech » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:55 pm

I am shocked as hell to hear about ditching it for now but again, I know the next game is going to be a big hit, all your games have been with the unique concept behind it. LET US KNOW MORE!
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:48 pm

Sounds like a good idea, this i think is a problem many big companies often fall into today, but they refuse to stop the game, and instead release it.

A game should be fun and the ideas for gameplay and such should come naturally, no amount of tech is ever gonna be able to carry a game.

But if you can apply alot of the tech on this other game, well then it hasnt all been for nothing atleast.

I do hope that we someday will see Subversion in some shape or form. But gameplay should always be the priority.

I still think you guys should consindering doing Uplink 2 and stuff like that to get your selfs some cash and room to work, its not easy being a small time indie developer. Its a shame you dont have a game like Minecraft that would keep selling and keep selling every time small updates are add.

One thing is certain Introversion makes some truely fun and unique games, Uplink is still my favorite though, nothing in that genre will ever come close, there has been quite a few clones of uplink, but Uplink is the best, the music, the feel, the atmosphere, its amazing how much you can do with so little.

The way ive always pictures subversion or something like that in my mind well.

It would be something like say Mission impossible meet Occeans elleven, what jobs you can pull depends on how many guys you have and what abilities their have and how good they are, then ofc gadgets and tech would also apply. It might not be how heists and bank robbery work in the real world. But ive always found it very cool how in those 2 movies how they have alot of people doing many small things in order to pull off the job, anything from distrating guards with idle chat or ballons, to remote controlling elevator, going outside buildings from top or buttom, using EMP to cut power.

But again you gotta have youre own vision for a game, having to force ideas means the time isnt right, gameplay ideas should come naturally. Maybe you could ask creative people on the forums for ideas well explained and such, and you could always consinder them.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:53 am

Wow, this is unexpected! Best of luck.

Why not turn Subversion into a Squad Action/Strategy game, a bastard child of Syndicate and X-COM UFO defense. Mostly gun fights but still minor hacking and physic for a destroyable environment. Base building like X-COM hidden in regular city buildings! Attack on your base by rival bigcorp.

Seriously the original Syndicate is one of the best game I ever played, give it a try in DOSBOX (use a game launcher it's easier)! (yes, I know a new FPS version of Syndicate is coming up :| )
Tustin2121
level0

Re: The Next Game

Postby Tustin2121 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:21 pm

Chris wrote:We will be going back to that project eventually, but the first thing I plan to do is gut the thing from top to bottom of all the tech fluff that we forced in over the years. Without a core game it’s all a worthless distraction, and I will NEVER again spend so long making tech for a game without having a solid core game in place first. Subversion needs a total rethink from top to bottom, and some long standing sacred cows need slaughtering.

Please, if you're going to rip out all that city building code, don't throw it away! Please consider releasing the code to the public! A LOT of work went into that code, it would be a shame if no one could use it! I'm sure someone could put the city building code to good use! At the very least, it would help advance the field of Computer Science. :)
Stormy Dragon
level0

Postby Stormy Dragon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:31 pm

RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Well that sounds kinda cool :D, its cool to see there is actual colors of sort.

If the game is fun to play, then im game!.
Jazz Ad
level1
level1

Postby Jazz Ad » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm a bit disappointed that we learn more details about the game in places other than the lounge.
Anyway, I think the team had been obsessed with Subversion for way too long of a time.
Now that it's out of their head, they can probably progress toward more amazing stuff.
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:35 am

There's an old saying: "Don't mend what isn't broken". Clearly you feel that something isn't right, and now the best course of action is to mend it by taking a step back and hopefully come back with a clear idea/method/strategy.

frenchfrog wrote:....Why not turn Subversion into a Squad Action/Strategy game, a bastard child of Syndicate...

That's what I thought Subversion was going to be myself. In early missions the user has to gain a reputation as lone inflitrator/hacker/armed contractor. Then the user has to perform the bigger Hack/inflitation in a team, possiblily on multiple fronts on large corporations, uncovering a global plot. Then from learning about the plot you can either stop the plot, or 'assist' the plot. Side missions could include:
    Training missions (Better Skills).
    Defending yourself from assassination attempts, or rouge team members that were hired to kill you (paranoia element)
    Aquiring equipment and resources (robbing stores and banks).
    Stopping rivals from taking your contracts.
Seitaro
level2
level2

Postby Seitaro » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:49 am

Not too awe'd by the graphics of the new game but the idea sounds like something Introversion will make kickass. Looking forward to it. Though I'm going to miss Introverion's whole.. I don't know what to call it.. "Theme"? (Compare Uplink, Darwinia, Defcon's visual appearance to Prison Architect.)

p.s: http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/
Turn on, tune in, drop out.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:33 am

Seitaro wrote:Not too awe'd by the graphics of the new game but the idea sounds like something Introversion will make kickass. Looking forward to it. Though I'm going to miss Introverion's whole.. I don't know what to call it.. "Theme"? (Compare Uplink, Darwinia, Defcon's visual appearance to Prison Architect.)

p.s: http://www.introversion.co.uk/prisonarchitect/

Uplink wasnt and still isnt flashy Graphics wise at all, yet its better than many EA triple A titles imo.

Gameplay as always, minecraft also demonstrates this very well.
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:12 am

Seitaro wrote:Though I'm going to miss Introverion's whole.. I don't know what to call it.. "Theme"? (Compare Uplink, Darwinia, Defcon's visual appearance to Prison Architect.)

I was half under the impression that all Introversions previous games were set in the same 'world'.

Aren't there references to Darwinia's servers in Uplink, and something similar to Defcon as well?
Finn
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:51 pm

FinnG wrote:Aren't there references to Darwinia's servers in Uplink, and something similar to Defcon as well?

I believe there are Uplink servers that share the name with the Darwinia company, there's also a reference to the movie Wargames, which Defcon was inspired by, but no direct link.

You could reasonably link Uplink and Darwinia, though I believe you're not meant to, but it's a stretch suggesting Defcon was set in the same world (since, you know, nuclear holocaust and stuff).
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Xocrates wrote:You could reasonably link Uplink and Darwinia, though I believe you're not meant to, but it's a stretch suggesting Defcon was set in the same world (since, you know, nuclear holocaust and stuff).

Maybe Subversion ends with you starting a massive nuclear war?
Chronometer is then all about correcting the timeline to avoid it.

But seriously, good point. ;)
Finn

Return to “Introversion Blog”