Coming Clean

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Eldar
level0

Postby Eldar » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:39 am

I know that I don't post on these forums at all, but I've been a member here and a big fan of Introversion for a long time now.

It's sad that you guys keep running out of money, you really do know how to make great games. Uplink, DEFCON, Darwinia, Multiwinia; they're all extremely good and it's only a shame that the DEFCON and Multiwinia don't have the huge multiplayer base they deserve.

The first Introversion game I owned was Darwinia, and without even trying the others I bought them all - because from what I had seen you guys knew what you were doing, and deserved the money.

I'm really looking forward to Subversion, and I hope that you blokes can keep up the good work.

Just remember, there's a light at the end of the tunnel ;)
RagingLion
level1
level1

Postby RagingLion » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:25 am

I was expecting this blog at some point.

I'm sorry to hear you went through such tough times and had to split up the team - that all must have been very difficult. I'm very glad you were able to find a way to keep going and I continue to eagerly await Subversion. I hope getting DEFCON onto PSN works out for you as well. Good luck.

And now I just need to update a wiki article about this latest chapter in your history.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:49 pm

I don't have high hopes for Defcon on PSN.
n3o77
level3
level3

Postby n3o77 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:39 pm

Reading this made me both sad that things were so close to the wire and yet happy that there is some kind of future for you guys.
I remember the excitement of playing Uplink for the first time and I have no doubt that Subversion is going to give me the same feeling.
It simply has to see the light of day, even if I have to help by handwriting adresses on envelopes, licking stamps and posting the many thousands of units you will shift myself :)

I'm sure this is all "Character Building" stuff and you guys have learnt many useful business type stuffs over the years, and I have every confidence you will turn it around once again.

All the best,
neott
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:12 pm

n3o77 wrote:Reading this made me both sad that things were so close to the wire and yet happy that there is some kind of future for you guys.
I remember the excitement of playing Uplink for the first time and I have no doubt that Subversion is going to give me the same feeling.
It simply has to see the light of day, even if I have to help by handwriting adresses on envelopes, licking stamps and posting the many thousands of units you will shift myself :)

I'm sure this is all "Character Building" stuff and you guys have learnt many useful business type stuffs over the years, and I have every confidence you will turn it around once again.

All the best,
neott

Holy shit! Neott! How's life? How are the spawn?

xander
n3o77
level3
level3

Postby n3o77 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:47 pm

xander wrote:
n3o77 wrote:Reading this made me both sad that things were so close to the wire and yet happy that there is some kind of future for you guys.

All the best,
neott

Holy shit! Neott! How's life? How are the spawn?

xander

'ello ;)
I now have 3. Yes 3.....

I have organs to sell in order to sub IV should they need it. See? It's like I had it all worked out!
Better not sell too much from my youngest, he is my favorite :)
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:31 pm

IV life never seems to be boring, one moment riding high, next heading towards financial crisis. I hope that everything will work out in the end, one things for sure though, its never boring to follow you.
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
GpF
level1
level1

Postby GpF » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:52 pm

wow!

I'm really glad you guys didn't go belly up. While nowadays I don't really have time to play games, I'm glad I won't have to miss your products (glancing at my Multiwinia box).

I'm looking forward any of your products that targets the PC platform. :D
ForrestFox
level1
level1

Postby ForrestFox » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:32 am

omg.. I didnt know about this untill now, and even if I'm glad you're still "there" I'm at the same time sad that you've been so close to the bottom.

I've been following IV from the start, ordering a copy of Uplink when it was burned on cheap CD's in one of your livingroom (at least, thats my imagination how it was done).
I'm really hoping I'll be able to buy a copy of Subversion in a soon future (either through steam, or on a cheaply burned DVD directly from your bedroom).

Hang in there IV :)
OI! WHERE DA FECK IS MY OL' 23K PHONE MODEM? U little brats of today dont know it, but dis modems still rules da world!
Kosikutioner
level0

Postby Kosikutioner » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:21 am

Wow! I had to create an account to say thanks for the awesome games I've already enjoyed, and thanks in advance for Subversion.

I had no idea you guys were that close to done as a company, and as a group. I love your games, I'm super happy you are sticking around. Back when Darwinia came out I actually ordered a boxed copy. I got a little keychain and everything. (which rocked) I bought it and the rest of your collection either all at once or gradually, I don't remember which, on Steam.

Its a shame to hear that your XBLA version was a flop, I thought it was a great way to bring it to console. I missed the gestures, but mostly out of nostalgia.

Anyways, thanks again for making games, and this interesting, enlightening post. Please do more podcast stuff, I heard one of you on a podcast before the XBLA Darwinia released and loved it. Can't wait to start digging into Subversion information!
StooMonster
level0

Postby StooMonster » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:58 am

I've also created an account to say thank you for the awesome games I have enjoyed over the years; I did wait until they were available on Steam rather than buying from you directly, but I bought them one at a time as they became available rather than in a discount bundle. So I'm a fan. :D

I've heard that XBLA can be tough, there's s a similar story with Jeff Minter's Llamasoft and Space Giraffe which did nowhere near what was needed on XBLA and had its bacon saved by Steam. Similarly, Hello Game's Joe Danger hasn't done as well on PSN as expected, I don't believe that Sony's platform is a panacea.

In my opinion, I think you'd be better off developing DEFCON for iPad; I think the touch interface would work brilliantly with this game. It might even work well on iPhone too, especially the iPhone 4's "retina display". Plus, there's some serious money being made on the App Store; despite the 50% piracy rate of games, which to be fair is better than the estimate 95% piracy rate on Android.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:19 am

StooMonster wrote:Similarly, Hello Game's Joe Danger hasn't done as well on PSN as expected
Quite the contrary. It recouped development cost with the sales of the very first day.

On all of the download platforms, it's easy to just get an unlucky launch and get released the week before a highly anticipated title or after a successful one or just to get buried with cheaper alternative games.
Jarman
level0

Postby Jarman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Hey, another first poster here. As a HUGE fan of Darwinia (I still fondly remember the Steam update by Gabe Newell in person), I was deeply shocked to read the news and immensely relieved to know you're still in business!

Apart from this post, I felt compelled to show my deepest appreciation and support by buying a copy of Defcon: I've always read everywhere what a great game it is, just lacked the time to play many games in the last few years.

Just a suggestion: always do your best to keep the community informed of your ups and downs. I'm sure you will always find plenty of folks willing to help as best as they can!

Cheers!
Kosikutioner
level0

Postby Kosikutioner » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:18 pm

StooMonster wrote:In my opinion, I think you'd be better off developing DEFCON for iPad; I think the touch interface would work brilliantly with this game. It might even work well on iPhone too, especially the iPhone 4's "retina display". Plus, there's some serious money being made on the App Store; despite the 50% piracy rate of games, which to be fair is better than the estimate 95% piracy rate on Android.

Great point. Defcon would be fantastic on iPad!
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 pm

I am happy DEFCON saved your asses.
The Defcon community is fighting since years agains the extinction of the playerbase, cause we dont wanna let our beloved game die.
At times it looked hopeless, but we always got ourselfs interested and the game playable with tourneys and forum rants and stuff.
The Steam sales did wonders and its looking a lot brighter here for us also.

And Subversion will rock!

Return to “Introversion Blog”