It's all in your head, Part 20

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
netshaman
level0

Postby netshaman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Hooray, i like it more and more every time i come here !
The music remember me the one from uplink too.
Excellent work !
Can't wait for 2011 ' till the release !

8)
krskrft
level0

Postby krskrft » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:39 am

This is really looking more and more like the "perfect game" I've always imagined in my head. It's great that a company like Introversion exists to make this kind of stuff.

The music is sounding amazing, by the way. It has kind of a classic "spy theme" element to it, but it manages not to cross that boundary and become campy. The hi-hats are my favorite part.

I'll be sacrificing cows/small children in hopes for an on-schedule 2011 release!
EgyptUrnash
level0

Postby EgyptUrnash » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:05 pm

Finally, I can play out those childhood fantasies of being Theora Jones, bringing up building plans to tell Edison Carter where to go!
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:01 am

Yes, and I can become Lambert or Grimsdottir, directing Sam Fisher.

I wonder if we players will be able to hack things from our computer while the field agents do their thing?
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
NerfJihad
level0

reposted from before, but I think this should be restated

Postby NerfJihad » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:37 am

(edit: I posted this on an earlier post, but figured that it'd be more visible here. This isn't a demand of any sort, just a mental image of what I hope this game will be. Dunno if anyone but me cares, but it makes a good yarn.)

I registered an account to simply state this: It would be a damn shame to waste all that extra geometry with scripted missions.

Basically, I hope to god it's a sandbox game with more depth than carjacking and assault. So many buildings in GTA 4, and you can't even go into 10 of them. None with any potential for exploration. I understand that what my mind produces for ideas is polluted by Dwarf Fortress (a game of unenviable complexity) but I'm really hoping for some serious depth and open-endedness, here.

To illustrate, an example: You have a story mission blinking, but you need some extra money for new gear and stuff, since you just barely pulled off the last one. You decide that a little industrial espionage could be profitable, so you pull open the business news on your in-game web browser. Company X is in dire straits after Company Y managed to get a product identical to theirs to market barely a month after it was announced. Turnabout is fair play, so you steal a recently-announced project and sell it to Company X to buy new gear for the next story mission.

That type of Uplink-style freelancing, not even with the BBS requesting black ops, would give endless replayability (for me and those like me, I guess). I can't stress how much I enjoyed Uplink, simply due to the openness of it. Granted, there was only one right way to do everything, and there wasn't much wiggle room in much of it, but they're computers. Shades of gray don't go over well in binary. This gives a lot more freedom.

Say the Hard-on-crime Mayor is coming up for re-election. He'll channel more money into the police and put your teams in greater risk if he's elected, so you put together a team to sabotage his campaign. Kidnap / harass / replace his speechwriter, declare him legally dead, get him investigated for corruption, funnel his money into the campaign trust of the guy who advocates education instead. After the election is successfully rigged, the time between a security breach and police intervention is lengthened. Enough of this sort of thing, and maybe the police won't trouble your agents at all.

Or maybe you're tired of the private security firms putting the kibosh on your ops. Hire away their agents and get intel on all the buildings that they work for. Better yet, let him keep his job and put him on the payroll as a sleeper agent / spy, taking down the security firm from the inside. Do this enough, and you'll have a whole troupe of expert agents and a whole slew of buildings that don't have any real security anymore.

I realize that these would be difficult to implement in a large-scale production, even harder with a limited workforce, and you guys have both problems in spades. I understand how much sway my thoughts and opinions have, but you can't say that what I described is impossible, or wouldn't make a damn impressive game.
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:41 pm

I feel guilty that I've not kept reading the blogs from Introversion over the last year, the lows and highs (Subversion). There are only three games I'm watching out for, and in no order "Fallout Las Vegas", "Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood" and "Subversion" and that's it nothing really interests me. If subversion is going the way I'm hoping it will then this will be one hell of a game. :)
MaXMC
level0

Postby MaXMC » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:52 am

I'm just waiting for the part 21...

It's been ten (10) "sprints" now since his last update. I hope we don't have to wait as long for the next update as we did this one...
orientalhero
level0

Instincts are represented by colour...

Postby orientalhero » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Woah... How do we (the player) get to realise what instinct is driving someone? Judging from the security models, our player's perspective is a model of a real environment. Whilst we might have our agents wired to the teeth so we know what their emotional state is (heh reminds me of Dollhouse (TV Series)!) how do we get info on the "NPCs"?
In Batman:Arkham Asylum, there is the ability to remotely monitor inmate's heartrate to indicate nervousness.
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six used the heart's low frequency electronic pulse to detect third party locations and orientations only.
I guess this could be a software package upgrade to add to any camera system (whether building security or your own operative's headcam). Emotion 1.0 allows detection of heart rate/breathing pattern. Emotion 2.0 allows interpretation to a single emotion (alert security guard/bored secretary), whereas 3.0 allows inference and four maps/charts them allowing some measure of prediction (especially if you probe security and monitor!).
Be nice to see/hear that this aspect too has been already thought out and mapped away.
Snall
level1
level1

Postby Snall » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:31 am

Well, just body language can tell a skilled person a lot- so think of it as the agents noticing stuff (On camera or in person) and relaying it...if you want.
vcordie
level1
level1
Location: [Log Modified] Connection from 128.128.128.128 Established

Postby vcordie » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:26 pm

If you can deliver on what you have said, Subversion will be the best indie game for a long while. A Very Long while.
Out There Software

The Bedroom Programmers Next Door
Now with an extra dose of dragons!
StaticEngine
level1
level1

Release Date

Postby StaticEngine » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Is there a timeline or a firm date for release? I'm extremely eager to play this.
eat_pb
level0

Sad

Postby eat_pb » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:51 am

Its really disheartening when there's no blog updates for months on end. What happened to one a month. It is nice to know that progress is happening, no matter how mundane or small.
matty406
level0

Postby matty406 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:04 pm

I've been silently following the progress of this and seeing the gameplay mechanics surfacing forced me to comment on this.
I just love the idea of having enough freedom as to rewire an office's network. And is that some modular AI there?
Ghost Stalker
level2
level2

Postby Ghost Stalker » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:38 pm

I still love Introversion :oops:
Need to try to come by more.
Clairvoire
level0

Postby Clairvoire » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:22 am

Been following the dev diary for quite a while now.

I have gleamed more ideas from this blog as an indie dev, than, well, any other read I dare name off. The last time a game had me as excited as this during the development process, was Spore. Spore was also the most disappointing game I have ever played. I... I wept. It's like EA poisoned it, dumbed it down, had to make it stable, had to make it ship fast, had to make it marketable.

You guys are a business of course, but you've shown me real studios don't have to settle for making drivel, even if it'd get them more money in the end. They can do great things. Don't stop what you guys are doing.

Return to “Introversion Blog”