It's all in your head, Part 18

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
captainslow
level1
level1

Postby captainslow » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:37 am

I think I just had a nerdgasm. Another of my dream games comes true, after Uplink and Defcon. GET OUT OF MY MIND, YA BASTERDS! :lol:

Great news, can't wait. Oh, and is there any chance of us seeing some sort of vid of that demo you did, or something like it? We'd -love- to see this in motion.
Weatherproof
level1
level1

Postby Weatherproof » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:37 am

After watching this and seeing how far this has come, i'm truly amazed. I'm absolutely in love with every aspect of where this is going and i wish you guys the best of luck! Congrats again on getting Darwinia+ out there! I'm loving the Uplink style too!
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:11 am

vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:00 am

Yahay! Whooowho! Etc. Etc. Rabble Rabble Rabble.

Awesome.

Yeah I don't have much more to say.
quietlyconfident
level0

Postby quietlyconfident » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:16 pm

Long time lurker, first time register/poster here.

I've probably been following this awesome game for nearly the whole four year development. I gotta say that with this update; I am both wildly excited, but also rather disappointed!

Lemme explain; ever since the beginning of this development, we have seen what looks to have been a city-generator tool on show. I've watched it go from simple lined streets, to complex patterns of roads and allotments, and terrain editing and realistic building rendering. This; I love. I mean, I love the idea of a city generation tool so much. It has been something that I've looked for for nearly the whole run of my online life.

When I was a kid I drew endless reams of city layouts on graph paper. I'd mark each road and avenue, the contours of mountains and hills, the rivers and fields, even the individual buildings! I'm totally fascinated with the way cities and roads develop and work. I fell in love with the Sim City games (and am now a staff member on the largest Sim City fansite - over 377,000 members - and incidentally, the development of this game has been talked about a lot in the Forums and the Chatroom), and even dreamed of being an Urban Planner.

So when I came across Subversion, you can imagine my excitement. A way to procedurally generate totally random city layouts! As time went on, I drooled over the increasing complexity of the patterns and the tools. Was never really much interested in the whole rendering of the interiors of buildings, but it was still an awesome feature. If you released the city-generation part, then we on the aforementioned fansite would probably want to marry it. I can imagine it being used by a substantial base of the community.

Anyway, now we come here, and the game has changed a lot. It still look fantastic. It looks like a game I would willingly pay money for, and play. It looks fun, and brilliant. But..it seems to have lost the city-generation part, which is what I, and many others, was most excited about. Which is a huge shame!
Traveller
level0

Postby Traveller » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:04 pm

I never pre-order games.

Ever.

But...if there are pre-orders, I will be pre-ordering this. I have never had more faith in a game being as playable and cool as the concept looks, before.
jamiroq
level0

Postby jamiroq » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:43 pm

will we be able to recreate the straylight run from neuromancer?
:)
Jack T Ladd
level0

Postby Jack T Ladd » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:48 pm

Much like how Uplink reminded me of the 80s game Hacker (well, Hacker argueably led me to Uplink), Subversion's reminding me of it's sequel Hacker 2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_%28computer_game%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_2

I never could complete Hacker 2, far too fiddly an interface iirc, hopefully there'll be no such issues with Subversion! :lol:

Hmm... damn, this has got me a hankering to play them again!
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Looks mighty awesome, can't wait to be part of the betas again ^___^

I love the concept... Being similar to Splinter Cell, except being the operator rather than the operative... Planning the mission, rather than just carrying it out... 8D
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
coolsi
level5
level5

Postby coolsi » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Finally, an exciting Introversion game that I can look forward to!

Yay Uplink 2!
Nakatomi is coming
Jasiri
level0

Postby Jasiri » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:50 pm

You know, the screenshots remind me a bit of Tron 2.0 where Jethro has to rescue Alan Bradley. A schematic view appears in a cut-scene and it looks a bit like your game. It sounds like you're onto something very interesting here, and I will happily purchase another wonderful game of yours without hesitating.

Where do I preorder? :)
TimTim
level4
level4

Postby TimTim » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:02 pm

coolsi wrote:Finally, an exciting Introversion game that I can look forward to!

Yay Uplink 2!

+1 to that.

I really hope you haven't oversold yourselves with what you've told us.
Artman40
level1
level1

Postby Artman40 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Nice to see a core gameplay finally being set. I wonder what will happen to the city generation part though.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 pm

quietlyconfident wrote:Long time lurker, first time register/poster here.

I've probably been following this awesome game for nearly the whole four year development. I gotta say that with this update; I am both wildly excited, but also rather disappointed!

Lemme explain; ever since the beginning of this development, we have seen what looks to have been a city-generator tool on show. I've watched it go from simple lined streets, to complex patterns of roads and allotments, and terrain editing and realistic building rendering. This; I love. I mean, I love the idea of a city generation tool so much. It has been something that I've looked for for nearly the whole run of my online life.

When I was a kid I drew endless reams of city layouts on graph paper. I'd mark each road and avenue, the contours of mountains and hills, the rivers and fields, even the individual buildings! I'm totally fascinated with the way cities and roads develop and work. I fell in love with the Sim City games (and am now a staff member on the largest Sim City fansite - over 377,000 members - and incidentally, the development of this game has been talked about a lot in the Forums and the Chatroom), and even dreamed of being an Urban Planner.

So when I came across Subversion, you can imagine my excitement. A way to procedurally generate totally random city layouts! As time went on, I drooled over the increasing complexity of the patterns and the tools. Was never really much interested in the whole rendering of the interiors of buildings, but it was still an awesome feature. If you released the city-generation part, then we on the aforementioned fansite would probably want to marry it. I can imagine it being used by a substantial base of the community.

Anyway, now we come here, and the game has changed a lot. It still look fantastic. It looks like a game I would willingly pay money for, and play. It looks fun, and brilliant. But..it seems to have lost the city-generation part, which is what I, and many others, was most excited about. Which is a huge shame!

I don't think we've lost the city generation. What were looking at is one part of the larger whole.

Chris - Any chance of air vents? Everyone loves air vents.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:21 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Chris - Any chance of air vents? Everyone loves air vents.

You know, this is something that frustrates me. In reality, most places wouldn't be sufficient in many ways to allow an adult to traverse very far. There's dampers, fire dampers, the way the duct is held up would probably not hold a persons weight very long (especially if it was a union job :P ), not to mention the sizes would be extremely limiting, etc, etc, etc.

Return to “Introversion Blog”