It's all in your head, Part 14

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Romanu
level1
level1

Postby Romanu » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:29 pm

That was bloody impressive. Definately sold me on trying to meet the crew of introversion next time i can. I'd love to hear some of the ideas behind this system and i love the fact you explained how you got it work. Please do keep us updated.
Taedal
level2
level2

Postby Taedal » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:10 pm

That is really impressive to me. I feel like i'm watching something truly special develop. To have that level of physics going is really cool, but to then remember that it applies to every object in a procedurally generated city of the calibre you have produced is to me really astounding. Add to it the functional, world-grounded interactive system you have created to make all machinery work in the context of the world is just amazing to me. This world simulator could be used for so much it could be great indeed.

Ok please forgive me for shameless and quite unfounded speculation but this is something I've been thinking about for a while and which seems very relevant to subversion. I think others touched on this in one of the other threads.. .Procedural generated content not of objects but of plots. Ie "story making code" that pieces together your "mission" based on people and object in the world. Playing games like GTA or oblivion I never feel truly free because missions are all scripted and none scripted interactions are very basic ie running someone over or shooting them as Chris mentioned previously. So how about "dynamic plot generation" - which seems likely to exist in subversion given each game is created from scratch procedurally.. along the lines of Eg person A works in building B but lives in house C. So say it decides you need to steal something from person A's desk. So you steal an access key from house C to get into office B or something like that. So you could have many patterns of these so called plots with random people, objects and the game would be able to string together like a whole game/story/experience in a virtual city - different each time. Or perhaps with this world simulator you could take any nuumber of other routes eg if you have the power you could hack the security system, set a fire alarm to go in unnoticed etc. These are my guesses/hopes for Subversion based on what we have seen ... and, well, i'm really excited!
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:33 am

Sliding doors arn't that big are they.
alfiethecool
level1
level1

Postby alfiethecool » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Would it be possible to have an electric grid simulation? You could do it on many different levels like with everything else but it would be cool to be able to power down a building, maybe to infiltrate it without any alarms?
Adam Black
level4
level4

Postby Adam Black » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 pm

Hey, look at Chris. He wrote a physics engine. I didn't know it was that easy - just rays and polygons...
Let's kick this bitch into overdrive.
Phevnil
level1
level1

Postby Phevnil » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:14 am

alfiethecool wrote:Would it be possible to have an electric grid simulation? You could do it on many different levels like with everything else but it would be cool to be able to power down a building, maybe to infiltrate it without any alarms?

Back up generators! You'll have to pull a matrix three and coordinate? I don't know. We don't even know if it will be infiltration, for all we know it could be a matrix simulator or some thing. Just saying that you can’t make demands/requests with out any knowledge. Of course if the common opinion is correct and even Chris doesn’t know what this is yet than I guess you could still demand stuff. Seeing the course the doors and elevator systems are taking I think a power grid is likely.
[insert outrageously funny/insightful comment here]
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:18 am

While we are on the topic of what will be possible, what about other forms of transport? The roads are there, but what about railways, monorails, airports etc. Will this be possible?
maninalift
level1
level1

death and taxies

Postby maninalift » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:26 am

...thinking about good physics and systems modelling meaning you don't have to coded explicitly: Will Subversion be written so that when a person falls off the top of a building they die, not because they fell X-distance but because they hit ground with sufficient energy. Hence if they get hit by a train or car or taxi (hence the clever pun) the same mechanism ensures they don't walk away.

You clearly don't want to work on detailed had content generation but whatever the game is a variety of modes of transport would definitely add to the feel of the game (not to mention the gameplay).
moth
level1
level1

Postby moth » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:41 pm

jelco wrote:Now I'm reminded of the LA traffic control system being hacked in The Italian Job. I loved that movie. :)

Jelco

Not LA. Turin. The sequel doesn't deserve the name. You need to see the original.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:40 pm

moth wrote:Not LA. Turin. The sequel doesn't deserve the name. You need to see the original.

s/sequel/remake

xander
MarvintheParanoidAndroid
level3
level3

Postby MarvintheParanoidAndroid » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:09 pm

The Italian Job...

Los Angeles...

:?

Hurrah for horrific brutalisations of classic films :(
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:13 am

moth wrote:
jelco wrote:Now I'm reminded of the LA traffic control system being hacked in The Italian Job. I loved that movie. :)

Jelco

Not LA. Turin. The sequel doesn't deserve the name. You need to see the original.

Somehow I think the traffic control system he was referring to didn't consist of tapes going gadukkadukkadukkadukkadukka, and as such he indicated the correct setting.

That said, the 'excuse' that they use for the the title, having a brief intro in Italy so they can say 'like the Italian job!' throughout the rest of the film, is an utterly terrible one demonstrating how cynical and pointless the use of the name was. It didn't need to be called 'The Italian Job'. The writers had seen the original only once. The Minis frankly didn't play a part in the film, they simply appeared, were recognised as unhelpful, and were discarded. As such, the only common link was a heist involving at some point a traffic control system. The film was a cynical use of some old IP and Edward Norton's contractual obligation to make a quick buck.
For pulp, it turned out all right, but it still makes me angry. Also, Marky Mark makes a terrible upright hero, he's much better when he's playing an arsehole (cf. I Heart Huckabees, The Departed).
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
PHREAK76
level4
level4

Postby PHREAK76 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:43 am

That remake was bollocks the original is the best "YOU'RE ONLY SUPPOSED TO BLOW THE BLOODY DOORS OFF!" try putting that in your Hollywood crack pipe and smoke it, money grabbing bastards.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:24 am

If it's best seen outside the frame of the original film, then perhaps it should not have been given the same title ;)
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
LestatV3
level0

Postby LestatV3 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:35 am

Subversion (and Introversion as well) is all about destruction :D

Jamming Sliding Doors: 30 Points
Destroying Elevator Motor: 50 Points
Destroying and Entire Building: 200 Points
Hacking Into Uplink Internal Services System: 250 Points
Destroying Viruses while Exploring Internet: 600 Points
Running Revelation: 1,500 Points