It's all in your head, Part 13

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:53 am

Yeah, games are too hard nowadays... I wrote a really awesomely accessible one the other day - it gives instant gratification without any effort required! The graphics were brilliant, but I decided they took too much effort to watch, so they're gone.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

echo "Press any key to start"
read
echo "Achievement Unlocked: Do you feel pro yet?"
echo "You win!"
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:24 am

Pox wrote:Yeah, games are too hard nowadays... I wrote a really awesomely accessible one the other day - it gives instant gratification without any effort required! The graphics were brilliant, but I decided they took too much effort to watch, so they're gone.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

echo "Press any key to start"
read
echo "Achievement Unlocked: Do you feel pro yet?"
echo "You win!"

Seems like a good place as any to link Achievement Unlocked. :P
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:24 am

Saw it on RPS, played it, lol'd. Surprisingly, turned out to be lots of fun. :P
D1Hazel
level0

Postby D1Hazel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:58 am

Everyone, I've figured put what it is. It's a First Person Shooting Real Time Strategizing Car Boat Plane Racing Sand box GTA Clone in Third Person staring you some guy and some girl. What am I babbling on about? I pretty sure that Subversion will ship with a few game types, such as FPS, RTS, Racing, with the ability to make your own. Awesome!

But I;m not going to play it. "But how can you not LOVE it?" I can't. It's just my PC will die if I try it, unless it has about the same minimum requirements as Half Life 2 (without the engine updates). If it does, then you're pretty much the best programmer ever in the history of the world. Well, if you finish this, you probably will be.

Just don't make it the next Trespasser. It's a personal favorite of mine, a truly innovative game, and a commercial and critical flop. Using a physics engine before Half Life (and, in fact, [i]inspiring[i] Gabe), you used a hand to pick things up and shoot things while avoiding dinosaurs. It was a bit glitchy, though. One time a dinosaur got it's head stuck in it's butt. I am not making this up.

Point is, don't rush it, don't screw it up, and, preferably, make it run on my computer ;D.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:55 am

That music gets to you after a while. :P
Kros
level1
level1

Postby Kros » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Looking great. Always very excited to see more blog posts. :)
Adam Black
level4
level4

Postby Adam Black » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:28 am

Artman40 wrote:Finally we have the first interactive element in the engine.

Yes, and finally I'm starting to get excited about this game. Game being the operative word, as the procedurally generated buildings meant nothing to me, whereas thinking about the potential for interactivity on this scale makes me giggle. This is why Introversion are design kings; I'm sure we all think about this sort of thing from time to time, why couldn't the designers have let you done this or that: Chris has managed to destroy our feeble expectations with the greatest of ease, simply with some intelligent forward planning and groundwork on which to build a game with seemingly infinite detail.

However, it may all run smoothly now it's in wireframe, but I shudder to think what the specifications will be once everything is textured and bump-mapped and modelled and so on. For the sake of my graphics card, I hope IV can code their way around that...
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:41 am

MadTinkerer wrote:<snip>

Ah, Midlife Crisis-winia.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Artman40
level1
level1

Postby Artman40 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:42 am

Adam Black wrote:However, it may all run smoothly now it's in wireframe, but I shudder to think what the specifications will be once everything is textured and bump-mapped and modelled and so on. For the sake of my graphics card, I hope IV can code their way around that...

But why won't stick to wireframe then? It has 4 advantages:
1: It's stylish.
2: It's less CPU-intensive.
3: Developers have to spend time to find and use textures.
4: It allows to avoid next-gen brown colour scheme (with huge amounts of light bloom) easily.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:02 am

Adam Black wrote:However, it may all run smoothly now it's in wireframe, but I shudder to think what the specifications will be once everything is textured and bump-mapped and modelled and so on. For the sake of my graphics card, I hope IV can code their way around that...

What makes you think that IV are not going to stick with the wireframe models, or something similar? It would certainly be in keeping with the aesthetic of their other games...

xander
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:14 am

Subversion better look like Subversion. Subversion has no textures.
Romanu
level1
level1

Postby Romanu » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 pm

I have to say that I love the look right now and i hope it doesn't changes. Okay maybe to reflect light sources in the world or whatever but still it looks great.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:49 pm

I imagine what we're seeing now will be the style of the final thing, I seem to remember a blog post by chris about how he spent a while working on getting the graphics working.
If this is just test graphics, he wouldn't have bothered :P
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Adam Black
level4
level4

Postby Adam Black » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:06 pm

...fair enough then.

I just imagined this might be textured because the previous three games have taken place inside computers, which allows some artistic licence, whereas I assume the city will be physical and therefore require some semblance of reality.
Let's kick this bitch into overdrive.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:48 pm

I imagine the game is more about a representation of a real city which you're viewing through a computer.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Return to “Introversion Blog”