Nostalgia and demos

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Byron
level2
level2

Nostalgia and demos

Postby Byron » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:31 am

Just had to share this.

Back in my youth I used to code demos. I lived in Germany where the demo scene was a pretty big thing so it was easy to get into. I first started on the Commodore 64 and then once the Amiga was released I jumped at the chance to hone my 68000 skillz on the A500. I had thought that all that work was lost and to some extent it was as I no longer have an Amiga let alone the source code to those demos. And then I found this tonight by accident while looking for a modern demo:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=34103

That was an 'intro' I coded back in 1990. I also did all the graphics as well (we did back then). Music would have been ripped from another demo though. I used to under the name of 'Celtic Warrior' and sign all my work with 'CW' and then the year. The demo group I belonged to was called Zylon and was a part of a bigger group called 'Alpha flight'. I am not sure what my fellow coders in Zylon are up to these days but I think I am the only one who continued down the demo route and eventually into games.

Must admit seeing that old intro has inspired me on my current challenge and that is to write a game for the 5th of Jan!

In case any of the old Zylon members are reading:

Greetz go out to - Krest, Chewy, Tron and Ray.

[edit]

To put this intro into perspective. Martin (our community guy) was 6 years old when I made it and I believe elDiablo was 7. 2 years after making it I got married. Feel old now.
Last edited by Byron on Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:38 am

Awesome.

Not a bad thing to find in the early hours of Christmas. ;)
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:55 am

Excellent - it runs on E-UAE too.

I actually remember this intro too. I remember being annoyed with Tron for taking my code and applying it to a warez disk he had made. Grrr.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:26 am

Heh this does bring back memories...the 68000 was so easy to program...though only by breaking every programming rule going :wink: ...we nearly created a demo crew..."Dundee Amiga Madness" we were going to call ourselves...but real life and the eventual death of the Amiga put paid to that...
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:02 pm

We bought an Amiga once.....but it never turned up. Something about going bust, and no, they didn't want to give the money back ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Weatherproof
level1
level1

Postby Weatherproof » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Haha! It was actually Introversion and video games in general that got me into the demoscene! The first prod i downloaded was .kkrieger (the awesomest 96kb game ever!) by farbrausch. Since then, i've really gotten into watching productions and i might even start coding a demo myself. I didn't know you used to make demos for oldschool platforms though. That is really amazing.
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:38 pm

Weatherproof wrote:Haha! It was actually Introversion and video games in general that got me into the demoscene! The first prod i downloaded was .kkrieger (the awesomest 96kb game ever!) by farbrausch. Since then, i've really gotten into watching productions and i might even start coding a demo myself. I didn't know you used to make demos for oldschool platforms though. That is really amazing.

Do it - demos are a cool expression of art. Some of the modern 4k demos amaze the hell out of me and leaving me wishing I could code like that.
Weatherproof
level1
level1

Postby Weatherproof » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:14 am

yeah, the 4k's are definitely rewriting the scene completely. Even the new still image procedural graphics in 4k are breathtaking.
Crest_TheKat
level0

Re: Nostalgia and demos

Postby Crest_TheKat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:29 pm

Hi, this ist Crest.
I learned my first Lines of Code @ Byron place (Byrons Dads Place.. :-) ) in Germany, where I still live. I wish I could get in Contact with byron again. We lost Contact a long time ago. This Forum is old, but maybe he will get to this an leave a message..

Sers
Crest aka The Kat
Zylon 4ever

Return to “Introversion Blog”