We love you too 2D BOY

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

We love you too 2D BOY

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:49 pm

Introversion Software's history and it's future, as rendered through the medium of Goo.

Well done 2D Boy.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:52 pm

Almost there! Just one more ball of goo after Chronometer/Subversion!
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:21 pm

Interesting. Where is this from then. :P

Also, does that mean I have Introversion's approval on buying World of Goo?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:34 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Also, does that mean I have Introversion's approval on buying World of Goo?

No, what it means is that you should have already bought it ;)
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:39 pm

Can't buy it off Steam (yay, contract difficutlties). Well, at least they aren't deliberately holding it back in Europe *coughubisoftcough*
Don't like Direct2Drive.
...BeanStalk games?
Can't use PayPal. Might have to rectify this, since it looks like my only option ATM.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:47 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Can't use PayPal. Might have to rectify this, since it looks like my only option ATM.

You don't need paypal, the link allows you to pay with a regular credit card.
Adanufgail
level1
level1

Postby Adanufgail » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:08 pm

Some of life's best things are teetering on the edge of goo-struction. Only you can be the red balloon of awesomeness.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:37 pm

I should really play the demo, I have it sitting on disk... but I'm afraid I'll get hooked to yet another game before exams. I already have plenty of things to do while not studying.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:56 pm

that's pretty cool.

I got the game off Steam..I don't like it much. The game is trial and error for me. The controls are iffy too. No option to change the horizontal or vertical mouse speed (the vertical is too fast) which makes it hard to be exact while moving the goo. Also, the resolution is locked at 800x600 and that is a bummer. Each map is too big for the screen, as it were, and you have to either use the mouse wheel or put the cursor to the side of the screen to scroll and see the whole map.

It's a physics puzzle game with lemmings style objectives, so it's not my type. I didn't know that going in, I saw the two teaser trailers and a few screen shots and bought it. I still playing it though but after a few times of being frustrated I quit..but I always come back. It has some kind of old school appeal, even if it isn't my style of game. For the price it's unbeatable though. I'm sure patches will fix some bugs.

The team definitely has talent, so I hope they decide to release more games. Plus if you buy it from their website it has zero DRM, and that's commendable.

if anyone cares here's the game that it was based off of (and this level is in World of Goo itself). It's sort of a contest site and it's interesting to see how World of Goo started:
http://www.experimentalgameplay.com/game.php?g=1
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:59 pm

allen wrote:that's pretty cool.

I got the game off Steam..I don't like it much. The game is trial and error for me. The controls are iffy too. No option to change the horizontal or vertical mouse speed (the vertical is too fast) which makes it hard to be exact while moving the goo. Also, the resolution is locked at 800x600 and that is a bummer. Each map is too big for the screen, as it were, and you have to either use the mouse wheel or put the cursor to the side of the screen to scroll and see the whole map.

It's a physics puzzle game with lemmings style objectives, so it's not my type. I didn't know that going in, I saw the two teaser trailers and a few screen shots and bought it. I still playing it though but after a few times of being frustrated I quit..but I always come back. It has some kind of old school appeal, even if it isn't my style of game. For the price it's unbeatable though. I'm sure patches will fix some bugs.

The team definitely has talent, so I hope they decide to release more games. Plus if you buy it from their website it has zero DRM, and that's commendable.

if anyone cares here's the game that it was based off of (and this level is in World of Goo itself). It's sort of a contest site and it's interesting to see how World of Goo started:
http://www.experimentalgameplay.com/game.php?g=1

I've heard that at chapter 2, something just clicks and all of a sudden, you just get it.

Also, you can change the resolution via the config file but the bigger the res the buggier it gets in terms of the UI. Hopefully will be patched. In the mean time, you can use Alt+Enter to have the game enter windowed mode.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:21 am

yeah I edited the config file to 1280x1024 but it clips areas of the map and it's not the same as "true" 1280x1024..

and I did tryn windowed mode but I couldn't get windowed mode to display anything but 800x600, and it's too small on my monitor and the cursor goes off the play area if you're scrolling horizontally.

I'm trying to get to chapter 2 but I'm stuck on two levels on chapter one and have been stuck on them for awhile.

Also, the music is getting annoying.

If I could give this game away I would, I'm sure there are many people out there who would enjoy it more than me.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:29 am

I would, for one. :P
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:58 am

Interestin that he put Chronometer a lot higher above bankrupcy than Subversion. Is this because of external funding or is 2d Boy trying to give a hint as to which game should be finished first.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:27 am

I think it's because Chronometer is an externally funded game with a strong sense of direction, and possibly a wider target demographic (think IV truly breaking into retail spaces), whereas Subversion is (or appeared to be at the last blog post) an experiment - while Chris has some idea where it's heading, there may be a lot of design changes to be made, and it might not have the same kind of appeal to the "mainstream" gamer. I'd hesitate to compare it to Darwinia mid-development, but it could be a timesink with a lovingly crafted game coming out at the end at the expense of profits.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:19 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:I might look into this game after all, it didn't seem all that interesting at first but I'm pretty convinced it can be fun to play by now. :P

I know what you mean. I had played tower of goo long before World of Goo came to be and was not particularly impressed, and quite frankly I thought it would be at best just an amusing puzzle game. However with the reviews basically boiling down to "Gleeeeeee!!!" and "we're not worthy" I gave it a shot.

The Sign Painter alone would be worth the price, but overall it is a great game. The puzzles are interesting and challenging, very seldom repetitive (and even the similar levels usually have some kind of twist), and only a very few can be frustratingly hard.
Love the music and atmosphere too.

Also, Allen, can't you just skip the levels and come back later?

Return to “Introversion Blog”