The life of a Limited Edition Multiwnia Tin

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Tom
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

The life of a Limited Edition Multiwnia Tin

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:29 am

About 3 months ago, Vic and I were sitting in a coffee shop trying to figure out what to do about our boxed units. As you know, we started off selling boxed units of our products (handmade back then!) , and over time, we phased in digital downloads of our games, and then over more time made boxed units an optional extra. We were getting a lot of requests from customers just to buy a downloadable version.

We're quite a fan of boxed units of DVDs and games, because, well, they make the game whole / complete and keep it warm at night! Especially the nice shiny ones that packed full of goodies. So after a couple of rounds of brainstorming, we settled upon a nice shiny big tin, in which we would put a copy of Darwinia and Multiwnia and a load more cool stuff. But the question was what?

Darwinia dog tags were the starting point, but we soon found that they were 1. expensive and 2. only available in blue and yellow, which didn't sort of fit our idea of one red and one green darwinian. They were also available in gold and silver, but mindful that most of our customers wouldn't be starring in any rap videos any time soon we went on the hunt for a better idea. DarwiniaHammer 40,000 white metal figurines were considered, but were really heavy (i.e. very expensive shipping), and limited appeal. Lego Darwinians were also a nice idea, but we didn't want to get sued - well not until we can afford it!

As some of you know, whenever we go to a conference we throw out some rubber darwinians in the crowd. On occasions this has backfired - http://forums.introversion.co.uk/introversion/viewtopic.php?t=41 - see NeoThermic's post about my 15 seconds of fame. However it's one of the most requested things other than games! This presented a challenge, because frankly the quality of these had gone down in recent years. The first batch was ok, but by the 3rd batch of audience ammo, we were ending up with foam Darwinians made out of flip-flip sole material. Clearly we were going to need to raise the bar on production.

The other thing that's also been frequently requested is a book about IV. I still think it's a bit too early to be recounting our memoirs; of when we nearly lost Mark and John off the side of a cliff as part of a 'spirited' drive along route-1, or when Mark and I would call back distributors from Peru after Vic had taken a message, telling them we'd just popped out of the office for tea-break. Co-incidentally we'd recently had a page in a posh coffee-table book which we'd filled with some really great looking screens from Darwinia (award winning artwork you know ;) ) , so we thought - how about a beautifully made picture-book about the evolution of Multiwinia. Expensive to make, but very cool.

And so it was - Darwinia / Multiwinia / a jazz mag for pixel fetishists / a couple of laser-cut foam Darwinians and one of each of the Multiwinia postcards presented in a shiny Multiwinia stamped tin.

Problem was, the only thing we had to had was a copies of Darwinia. Thankfully a contact in Hong Kong put us in touch with some well regarded tin-box makers and a factory that could laser cut foam (not of the flip-flop variety). So begun the long life of a Multiwinia limited edition tin. Having been made in Hong Kong, the tins were wrapped / packed / padded and sealed into large cardboard cartons and stacked inside a container on the Maersk Tukang.

Then tins were transported in their warm cartons, from the dropoff to the flying hamster 3 at a time, every time I happend to drive by the storage (which took several weeks) in my, ahem, tiny Smart Fortwo car (which frankly was a better bet than my 50cc scooter).

Still. The effort was well worth it - the (surprisingly heavy) limited edition tins and their contents look fantastic and we're very proud to present them for sale!

[EDIT] it seems that you think so too! they're going like hot cakes :)
Montyphy
level5
level5

Re: The life of a Limited Edition Multiwnia Tin

Postby Montyphy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:38 am

That tin is a beast.

Tom wrote:/ a jazz mag for pixel fetishists /

Also, typo!
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:24 am

I'm glad I already pre-ordered then.

Will there be any kind of numbering on them? Like, 30/500 or how ever many there are?
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:04 am

Hmmm, I still can't decide whether to get the limited edition tin. It looks shiny but is it really worth triple the price (arrgghh shipping cost). I guess I better hurry up and decide whether I'll splurge or not *checks savings and calculates how much babysitting money I can earn soon*.
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:12 am

...And the lord said "let there be Shiny boxes" and it was so...

- Darwinia Bible Codex, From the Book Of Tom

glad I've ordered one!

[edit]
Think you may need to change the model, that pose only insults the box ;)
[/edit]

[edit2]
Look like one of the two darwinian's inclosed has pushed the other into the wall of the box, The fight has already begun!
[/edit2]
Last edited by desktopsimmer on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
multimania
level2
level2
Location: Perth, Western Australia · Mountain View, California

Postby multimania » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:54 am

vanarbulax wrote:Hmmm, I still can't decide whether to get the limited edition tin. It looks shiny but is it really worth triple the price (arrgghh shipping cost). I guess I better hurry up and decide whether I'll splurge or not *checks savings and calculates how much babysitting money I can earn soon*.

The shipping to Australia is somewhat excessive, I knew that I'd regret it if I didn't buy one though. Unfortunately affording two or more will be difficult.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:59 am

It is good to see the return of the "Big Boxes" of games that were retired sometime around 2000. I miss those big computer game boxes... I was always exited to see the goodies that were in them. I thought bigger manuals were awesome also.

It is for this reason that I buy copies of Introversion games. Not only do I support the company better (cheers IV!), but I also have something nice to have on my shelf/desk/whatever.

I still have the Darwinian key chain attached to my keys. Funny, here I am buying the tin box to the sequel of a game that I bought in passing...
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:18 pm

I was going to get the tin anyway, so when I saw that it came with darwinia + art book (I was just expecting foamwinians), my hesitation about the price went away in a second. :D
I also loved the old game boxes, even when not full of goodies. They always were added value for me. :)
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:26 pm

My God, those tins are huge! Damn glad I've ordered one for myself. :)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Kuth wrote:It is good to see the return of the "Big Boxes" of games that were retired sometime around 2000. I miss those big computer game boxes... I was always exited to see the goodies that were in them. I thought bigger manuals were awesome also.

Nah, the big boxes were totally excessive; losing several hundred litres of potential space just because no-one realised that you don't need an A4 box to store a single CD is not a good thing. Special editions are a different matter entirely, of course :)

Also, laser cut. They've been through the wars, these Darwinians :P
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:09 pm

Woah, I didn't realise the steel tins were anywhere near that size: I was thinking more Steelbook DVD cases than large enough to store several roast dinners.
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:16 pm

estel wrote:Woah, I didn't realise the steel tins were anywhere near that size: I was thinking more Steelbook DVD cases than large enough to store several roast dinners.

Don't worry, TJ is just really really small. Or is he?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:32 pm

estel wrote:Woah, I didn't realise the steel tins were anywhere near that size: I was thinking more Steelbook DVD cases than large enough to store several roast dinners.

The first person to use the tin for cooking a Sunday roast gets a cookie.

EDIT (2008/08/28 - 19:09CET): Any other ingenious/humorous/useful/unique/inspired displays of tin usage may also result in the reward of a cookie.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

1) Photographic proof required.
2) Entrants under the age of 18 must have consent of a supervising adult.
3) Montyphy reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside Montyphy's reasonable control. Any changes will be posted within these terms and conditions.
4) In the event of any dispute regarding the Rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to the Competition, the decision of Montyphy shall be final and you will duly be ignored.
5) Employees of Montyphy or any company involved in the Competition or, if relevant, production of a television programme to which a Competition relates, or any advertising agency or web company connected with Montyphy or any such person’s subsidiary or associated companies, agents or members of their families or households, are not eligible to enter the Competition.
6) Montyphy reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if he has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of the Rules.
7) You may enter the Competition as many times as you like however where a winner has been selected and Montyphy discovers or has reasonable grounds to believe the winner has used any software or automated process to create entries, Montyphy may select an alternative winner. Any further winner will be selected on the same criteria as the original winner and will be subject to these Rules.
8) Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative. Montyphy reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value at any time.
9) Prizes are awarded at Montyphy’s discretion and no prizes will be awarded as a result of improper actions by or on behalf of any entrant. Where Entries are being judged on creative or artistic merit or other subjective criteria, Montyphy and/or the Competition judges (acting reasonably) reserve the right not to select a winner, and/or to remove or amend selection criteria and/or the structure and operation of the Competition if Entries are not of the requisite standard.
10) Montyphy cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury, weight gain/loss or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Competition or as a result of accepting any prize. Montyphy is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment or software, failure of any email or entry to be received on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, telephone lines or at any web site, or any combination of these, including any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer or mobile telephone related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. Montyphy is not liable for death or personal injury as a result of his negligence.
Last edited by Montyphy on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
ewanm
level3
level3

Postby ewanm » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:08 pm

That cookie better be big, or I might as well just use the tin as a cake tin.

If that darwinian/multiwinian is hollowed out on the inside (likely) then it would make awesome darwinian/multiwinian shaped cake.
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Oh my god, what an awesome idea. Darwinia cakes :o
Release party munchies?

Return to “Introversion Blog”