Games Magazines – friend or foe?

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:14 am

Well KingAl, I think pjsxnxgk won, because a) his topic is quite interesting seeing as it was started on their own forums and b) his pic is of better quality. :P

Also, /me sets xander and his sock puppets on fire.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:57 pm

I can't name names (legal are sharks) but I work for a couple of UK National newspapers and some magazines on the IT systems. I know that the covers can change, not by 'events', but by 'editorial privilege'. Running almost 9 months with the same cover story (clue), really wound up a few members of upper staff. I'm sure that this magazine would of made the choice with a more balance mind.

However, when you're closer to definite release date, you might have a better chance off a cover. The fact that you were considered for a cover, boy, that's some feather to but into your hat :)
factoid
level1
level1

Postby factoid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:31 pm

It's a sad, sad thing what happened there. I made a post over at the thread on TPCG's website, but it's worth re-stating:

They claim that these things are never 100% guaranteed and that the editorial staff "sometimes doesn't have the final say".

Either you have the final say or you don't. If you can be over-ruled by the marketing department regarding the cover, then you don't have control over it...you can merely make suggestions, and use that falsely-percieved power as a lure to screw companies like Introversion into giving up exclusive review rights.

Who cares about print magazines anyway, though. I know that Tycho over at Penny Arcade is a fan of your work, as that's where I was first introduced to Darwinia, and a kind word from him on the front page is worth more than any magazine cover in terms of sales.
Davman
level1
level1

Re: Games Magazines – friend or foe?

Postby Davman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:09 am

Chris wrote:And in Future we will certainly be dealing with them first.

Ahaha! I see what you did there ;)
Davman

Return to “Introversion Blog”