Long live the G15

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Byron
level2
level2

Long live the G15

Postby Byron » Mon May 19, 2008 5:41 pm

I was coding late Sunday night at home and I hit the page down key on my keyboard when actually I had intended to hit the return key. This was about the 15th time I had done this. The reason? For some reason the muppet who designed this keyboard thought it would be a great idea to put a really thin return key on it and stick the page up and down buttons right next to it. Needless to say that after the 15th hit the decision was made to send this damn keyboard to the level of hell normally reserved for lawyers and accounts* and go out and get a new one. But which one? There are hundreds out there. It's at this point I fell victim to my own marketing led coding and got a G15 for myself.

Coding went well on the G15. I like it when hardware manufacturers go out of their way to build very simple to use SDK's and actually put some thought into how little the end developer needs to do in order to integrate it into their code. It seriously makes the difference between the bare minimum being done and a little love shown its way. So what can you expect to see on the G15 in Multiwinia? So far the following have been coded:

Alerts - When an alert is displayed on the screen it gets displayed on the G15 as well. The major difference is that the G15 will always display the last alert so you can just look down to see what happened last.
Multiwinians selected - It will display how many Multiwinians you currently have selected.
Currently selected entity - If you select something like 'Armour' it will tell you how many Multiwinians it has on board. This aspect of the G15 will be expanded over time as I get to know the Multiwinia code base a bit better.
Game - not coded yet but will be in there. I haven't decided how you access it yet but be prepared to do a bit of hunting!

And the best bit that trumps all of the above:

A spinning Multiwinian that is displayed all the time - honestly how could you live without this? You NEED this! No seriously, your life is not complete without this and you will always have a nagging feeling of hollowness.

And that concludes my brief stint on the G15 and my first week at Introversion and I look forward to working on the amBX SDK next.

My G15 - it's the black keyboard at the bottom of the image

* Allegedly - I personally think that not even hell would have them.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Mon May 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Oooh you got the new generation of G15. I have the older one, but I want a copy of that SDK you've done for it, as it should work on the older ones too.

Seriously, give it now. I want spinning darwinian on my G15. Now.

Give it.

Now.

Don't make me throw toffee at you.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon May 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Looks very nice. I have to say that this is the first time I've heard the word Multiwinians, guess it's a matter of preference whether you call them that or Darwinians - although of course officially the latter is the only correct one. :wink:

Also, is that a MX1000 over there? /me hugs his own.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Mon May 19, 2008 5:52 pm

I considered getting the G15 at some point. But my eyes are now set on the Razer Lycosa. While the small display on the G15 seems nice I've would probably never really use it (and it, generally speaking, doesn't seem to give much info that isn't already shown ingame). Though it is nice that it is supported, also considering I *might* get a G15 (or similar) after the lycosa (which I'll hopefully get soon) either dies or gets worn out.

About the amBX, are there any numbers on how many gamers has it?
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon May 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Great. Now I HAVE to buy a G15...
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon May 19, 2008 6:21 pm

I have one issue with the G15 - the keys look really thick and clunky. I've always been a fan of the softer,thinner, laptop-style keyboards, and I think it's take quite an exceptional keyboard to make me choose something other than that.

(Not that my current keyboard is great, but it came at the right price - I was given it :P)
recover
level1
level1

Postby recover » Mon May 19, 2008 6:31 pm

Sounds like you're settling in quite nicely. :)
I agree with shinygerbil, I think thinner keys are much much much better. :D
My current keyboard are Logitech UltraX Flat and I love it.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon May 19, 2008 8:10 pm

Heh, here's another supporter of the laptop-style keyboards. Personally I own one of these (and here's why).

Jelco
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon May 19, 2008 8:33 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Also, is that a MX1000 over there? /me hugs his own.

Round of hugs for all MX1000's!

Also, they're not making them anymore and nothing out there is equivalent. :cry: /me hopes mine never ever breaks.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon May 19, 2008 8:52 pm

Really? My local store still sells them.

* does a happy dance to celebrate having been able to buy it for 10 euros - not second hand *

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Mon May 19, 2008 9:01 pm

Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Mon May 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Thought it was a bit too shiny and oddly shaped to be the MX1000. I'll probably replace my MX1000 with an MX Revolution soon'ish. my MX1000 is somewhat troublesome to get to recharge atm, and it is getting rather worn.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon May 19, 2008 9:05 pm

I think I'm too used to the hyperscroll buttons (as I like to call them) to like the Revolution, but otherwise it looks like a nice alternative. Luckily though, it still looks, feels and - most importantly - works like new, so I won't have to think about a replacement anytime soon.

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Mon May 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Hyperscroll? Personally, I just like it for being a good wireless mouse, and with a lot of buttons too. Especially the buttons on the side are nice :S
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Mon May 19, 2008 9:31 pm

I didn't say it's the reason I took the MX1000, I said it's the Revolution's lack thereof that will keep me from buying that one. :wink: Yes, I'm very used to the buttons on the side as well, but that's a feature the Revolution has as well. It's just that I don't have to keep tiring my fingers with heavy scrolling with those fast scrolling buttons (which can be held down rather than having to be 'triggered' repeatedly) which greatly fastens my browsing.

On a side-note by the way, those forward/reverse buttons don't seem to work in Firefox with me (I mainly use Opera so I usually don't care, but there are certain pages Kestrel keeps crashing on). I'm pretty sure this is a personal issue, but does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Jelco

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Blog”