Brave new frontiers

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Byron
level2
level2

Brave new frontiers

Postby Byron » Wed May 14, 2008 12:01 am

A big thanks to everyone for the great welcome to the Introversion community and since some of you have asked to find out a bit more about me, well... here we go:

I like cheese but only if its on a Chilli jacket spud or Pizza! Mind you, too much gives me a headache that feels as if somebody has got a jackhammer on top of my head and is determined to carve the message: DON'T EAT CHEESE AGAIN in very large and deep letters. And I love chocolate... I could live on the stuff and it gives me the same jackhammer effects as cheese but it's worth it. Oh, and I am a big Mac fan.

So, enough about me and back onto far more interesting things: Introversion.

I have been here for 2 days now and John wanted to ease me into the Multiwinia code by giving some relatively low risk tasks that would allow me to gradually build up my experience of the codebase. This is rather progressive since most companies I have worked for in the past had a kind of 'dump you in the deep end' method of introduction. So what are these tasks? Well for the first one head on over to Logitech and check out the G15 keyboard. I am currently integrating that keyboard into Multiwinia, or more specifically I am integrating the LCD display on that keyboard into Multiwinia. I must admit at first I was a bit skeptical about integrating an LCD display into a game, not from a difficulty point of view but more of what would you want to see on it. However, after a short time I had the LCD displaying test images in a simple application and I saw the power and potential of this tiny little screen on a keyboard. I am tempted to put a little easter egg (a game) in there - but don't tell the other guys at IV!

Anyway, it's late now and I have a book on ray-tracing to read...
Last edited by Byron on Wed May 14, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed May 14, 2008 12:23 am

Finally, a reason to buy one of those things :P I've been looking for a new keyboard anyway, maybe I can stretch my budget!

Also, ray tracing? :shock: Is this gonna be another fake 'cracktro' type thing like the one for Darwinia, or just for personal benefit?
Dyakson
level0

Postby Dyakson » Wed May 14, 2008 1:30 am

I've been fascinated by that LCD keyboard, and wanted to build my own LCD display, but didn't bother when there didn't seem to be any obvious way to do it...
Lastof
level2
level2

Re: Brave new frontiers

Postby Lastof » Wed May 14, 2008 1:57 am

Byron wrote:Oh, and I am a big Mac fan.

Do we interpret that as a fan of a particular make of computer, or a fan of a particular brand of hamburger?

From the capitalisation, I'd guess the former, so we should all assume the latter.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Brave new frontiers

Postby xander » Wed May 14, 2008 4:50 am

Lastof wrote:
Byron wrote:Oh, and I am a big Mac fan.

Do we interpret that as a fan of a particular make of computer, or a fan of a particular brand of hamburger?

From the capitalisation, I'd guess the former, so we should all assume the latter.

I am going to assume the computer, and say: HUZZAH!

xander
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed May 14, 2008 7:02 am

/me wonders if that fancy-but-not-as-fancy-as-an-optimus keyboard works with real operating systems.

Anyway, your lack of appreciation for solitary cheese is disturbing, but I think we'll all live. :P *waits for shiny things*
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed May 14, 2008 8:44 am

I have a G15, and now I have another reason to love it. Multiwinia integration is indeed something to look forward to.

Also IV is not your usual company at all, as you've seen. They definately do things their own way, and that's something I personally love them for. Easing you into it and then going full throttle, that should be fun. Have you played some multiplayer Multiwinia yet and what did you like about it? Also has Chris shown you any of Subversion yet, and what do you think of that so far?

Nice response on the cheese of course.

Big mac, be it a computer or a burger, boooo! Angus all the way. :P

Once again welcome to our little corner of the world, and looking forward to meeting you in person in the near future.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed May 14, 2008 10:18 am

Willkommen! The about page is now out of date: are you prepared for a moody black-and-white photo shoot?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed May 14, 2008 10:30 am

Ah...ray-tracing

I remember buying the code that was used to create this...there was no GUI it was all script based...took about a day to render 1 frame if the old Amiga didn't pack in...simpler times...

:wink:
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed May 14, 2008 10:31 am

Everybody loves ray-tracing.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed May 14, 2008 4:16 pm

I call shenanigans! You're not Byron; you're Craig Feldspar!

Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Byron
level2
level2

Postby Byron » Wed May 14, 2008 4:25 pm

My secret is out - damn!
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed May 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Montyphy wrote:I call shenanigans! You're not Byron; you're Craig Feldspar!

That's not Craig Feldspar...you ray-traced that image :P
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed May 14, 2008 4:29 pm

I ray-traced yo' momma all night long.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
desktopsimmer
level3
level3

Postby desktopsimmer » Wed May 14, 2008 6:20 pm

"I <random word> your momma"

Now that popping up on the keyboard display would be cool. Also, personal humiliation messages and the darwinian/virus body count

Return to “Introversion Blog”