It's all in your head, Part 11

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Tue May 13, 2008 9:07 am

The GUI looks impressive, though I fear it could just end up making people feel dizzy.

I'm curious though, does the mouse move like normal (2D plane parallel to screen), or around the edge of the 'sphere' the windows are supposedly on?
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue May 13, 2008 10:38 am

Oh the woes of home internet being down, I missed this for an entire day :O

The 3D inerface thing looks cool, but as some people said it might get annoying/hard to read. Maybe you should have a button (equivalent to the full screen button in windows) which would full screen it into a flat 2D window, until you minimise it and it goes back to sphere world.
Or possibly you could have an ovoid instead of a sphere, so that the projection is flatter in ront of you face.
Or my friend sitting next to me suggested a band, which would be easier to navigate than a sphere.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
andrewf
level0

Postby andrewf » Tue May 13, 2008 11:15 am

Oooh, the interface looks awesome. will be great with dualscreen!
The only thing we need now is Minority Report gloves!
EvilPanda
level0

Postby EvilPanda » Tue May 13, 2008 11:16 am

maybe a minimap showing the sphere distended would help? [/img]
Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems.
Rene Descartes
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Tue May 13, 2008 11:19 am

FBOs. VBOs. Vertex arrays. Thank God! I never thought I'd see the day. VBOs/VAs are a great deal faster than immediate mode and even display lists, if you batch them properly, as I showed NeoThermic a couple days ago (*gloat*).

Also I'm very glad that you've decided to go with Lua, and I really like the spherical desktop idea.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue May 13, 2008 5:54 pm

It looks cool, but I can't image it being at all useful. What's the performance impact if you have AA on (which, by the sounds, is a must)?
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue May 13, 2008 6:43 pm

prophile wrote:FBOs. VBOs. Vertex arrays. Thank God! I never thought I'd see the day. VBOs/VAs are a great deal faster than immediate mode and even display lists, if you batch them properly, as I showed NeoThermic a couple days ago (*gloat*).

You still have yet to send me your test code. I must verify the results myself in order to issue you one standard winners drink :)

NeoThermic
paritybit
level0

Postby paritybit » Tue May 13, 2008 7:56 pm

Sword of the Stars used a cylinder with technologies projected about the inside for the user to interact with the tech tree; it was interesting at first, but rather difficult to use. I think it's a wonderful idea -- in theory. The problem is it is rather awkward for the user. But, I imagine there are ways to remove the awkwardness that I've not begun to think of.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue May 13, 2008 8:13 pm

RabidZombie wrote:It looks cool, but I can't image it being at all useful. What's the performance impact if you have AA on (which, by the sounds, is a must)?
I don't think it's very much, by modern cards' standards. I mean, my computer copes just fine with 4xAA and upwards :P
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Tue May 13, 2008 9:35 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
prophile wrote:FBOs. VBOs. Vertex arrays. Thank God! I never thought I'd see the day. VBOs/VAs are a great deal faster than immediate mode and even display lists, if you batch them properly, as I showed NeoThermic a couple days ago (*gloat*).

You still have yet to send me your test code. I must verify the results myself in order to issue you one standard winners drink :)

NeoThermic

I did. Shall I resend? Give me a better e-mail address than whatever it was (peoplewhosendmeshitonirc I believe)
ewanm
level3
level3

Postby ewanm » Wed May 14, 2008 1:35 am

I usually use simple fluxbox/openbox and wmii after a blast with beryl and compiz-fusion. But the last couple of days I upgraded to latest git compiz-fusion, and gave the new plugins a wirl, some of them can be fairly efficient if used in the right way.

prohpile: devnull@....com ?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed May 14, 2008 10:14 am

RabidZombie wrote:It looks cool, but I can't image it being at all useful. Not sure about what purpose rendering a city at all serves, in fact. Or scripting elevator behaviour. Wait, these... games - they're not useful either! What am I doing here? My life is a lie! My life is a lie!
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed May 14, 2008 11:11 pm

great idea with the sphere thing, but as countless other people have said, it would probably get confusing and annoying after a while. Also, I dont see something like this working on dual screens and this is the type of game that could use two or more screens to full effect.
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Thu May 15, 2008 12:11 am

Eh...
Anti-aliasing....

Eeeek....
I think that I am doomed now, the indie companies are going beyond what will work on my Mini G4.

What do I do?
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Thu May 15, 2008 7:32 am

Get a new computer? :P

Return to “Introversion Blog”