I don't want a real job - Part 2.

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:26 pm

Pox wrote:Worked fine in Konqueror for me, must be all those windows people with their "universal compatibility" and "corporate stability". :P

Also, if it's written in java, can't you package it as a cross-platform brick of bytecode for the JVM to read? Isn't that the whole point? ;)

No, I said that the VIEWER is in Java. The FILE is made in an easy-to=learn drag-and-drop flowchart language called Scratch. I'm hoping to, at some point, borrow somebody's computer to convert it to exe, then sell it. I won't be able to play it myself (besides at school with my memory key) buuuuuuuuuuut we all make sacrifices.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:28 pm

zanzer7 wrote:Agreed, Opera beats any Firefox browser past 1.5 (and since they're not updating that anymore, it must by definition currently beat Firefox).

I have to agree Firefox 2 was a resource hungry pile'o'shite. However, its very useful addons (and some middle click functionality I servilely missed in Opera 9.0) gripped me into staying for the release of the Firefox 3 betas, and I'm pleasantly surprised at it's improvement. Still, I should download the latest Opera and give it a run. One of my friends swithced quite recently and enjoys the quick dial feature.

Hey, at least it isn't IE.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:30 pm

Quick dial is awesome.

I'm actually considering trying out Firefox 3, I hear they've actually turned it into quite a decent browser. :P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Quick dial is awesome.

I'm actually considering trying out Firefox 3, I hear they've actually turned it into quite a decent browser. :P

IMO, Firefox 3 only lacks in Firefox 2 add-on support. However, this is unavoidable really. And many older add-ons work fine if you bypass the compatibility checks.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:29 pm

I must say, the Fx3 betas have impressed me with functionality and speed on windows, and it's now what I use on Windows... but until I ditch KDE (may happen soon with the way KDE4 is going), Konqueror simply is the fastest and best looking browser for me. Also, Opera is a clunky mass of useless features, or was last time I used it. ;)
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:34 pm

This is getting way offtopic. Back on topic, I don't want a real job either :(

Pox should have wrote:Opera simply is the fastest and best looking browser for me. Also, Konqueror is a clunky mass of useless features, or was last time I used it. ;)

fix'd. Now, for my reply, which I will do in smallfont, to try and save the thread. (like that will happen.)

Last time I used Konqueror, it was half file-browser, half system-settings-manager, and about 5% webbrowser. And ridiculously slow, at that. I remember everyone was always complaining about it - it seemed to take a long time to simply connect to a website. And rendering pages was also ridiculously slow, as well. It opens up quickly, yes, if you check the "preload an instance when your OS loads" and "always keep an instance preloaded" buttons. :P

Last time I used Opera (right now), it was pretty featureless. Tabs, an address bar, back/forward/stop/refresh, and my favourites. Yes, it has a mail client and an IRC client, but they are not actually enabled until you configure them and set up an account. Besides that, it is pretty minimal, and also pretty at that. (That is, you can make it pretty with themes.) Opera has many functions, yes - in the sense that it is highly functional - but it is not cluttered with features. :P

Also, KDE4 is awful, and will be until they grow up and stop trying to be a cross between the most annoying and useless parts of MacOS and Windows, mixed with some kind of slow, bloaty "web 2.0" app. ;)
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:09 am

shinygerbil wrote:<heresy>

We've obviously had different experiences... I've only started using KDE since 3.5 (and yes, KDE4 is a heap of shit and I'm moving away unless it gets better by 4.1, or 3.5 maintenance is continued), but I've had absolutely no problems with Konq, and it's a lot faster to do anything than Firefox, Epiphany, anything else I've tried. Sure, the fact that it's not a web browser first and foremost can be annoying, but once it's tweaked a bit, it works great for me.

And maybe I should give Opera another try - to be fair, the last time I installed it was 3 years ago.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:07 am

Yep, I used Konqueror in KDE 3.5! I also used the preview version of Konqueror for KDE4, when it was available in the repos about 6 months back or so. Everyone said it was much better - and it was, but still not great. :P

See, I have more recent recon on my enemy browser than you do ;)

(also, you're reminding me how much better KDE3.5 was than GNOME - I'm tempted to switch back now!)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:19 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:
shinygerbil wrote:
Pox should have wrote:Opera simply is the fastest and best looking browser for me. Also, Konqueror is a clunky mass of useless features, or was last time I used it. ;)

fix'd.

QFT.

On a side-note: a magazine here in Holland talked about Opera in their previous issue, introducing it to the masses who only know about IE and FF (yes, it's a Win-only magazine, sue me). Understand my disbelief when I found out the mouse gestures weren't mentioned anywhere in the 6-page article!

* gestures up - left *

Jelco

Without mouse gestures, I can't stand browsing. I find myself flailing my right hand with the mouse on other peoples computers and IE wondering why nothing happens.

Return to “Introversion Blog”