Notes from the Slippery Slope, Part 2

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:02 pm

KingAl wrote:I wouldn't be so confident - it looks like you can't turtle in Multiwinia, martin ;)

Of course you can turtle in multiwinia! you can turtle in *any* strategy game!

Anyway, turtling isn't actually my only RTS skill, as you'll see when I play multiwinia against xander ;)

Lastof wrote:
KingAl wrote:I wouldn't be so confident - it looks like you can't turtle in Multiwinia, martin ;)

We thought you couldn't in DEFCON. Martin can turtle in anything, it's his one and only skill.

Well actually my turtling is fairly useless for playing against decent players, but I can usually batter a full load of AIs without firing a single silo nuke ;)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Radiobuzz
level2
level2

Postby Radiobuzz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:48 am

All this is so exciting. I'm thrilled for you guys.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:32 am

Whats turtling mean?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:47 am

/me feels qualified to answer :)

Turtling is when you concentrate massively on defense. In many strategy games, this means that you build walls around your base (and possibly the resource gathering spots), keep lots of units around it, and place lots of defense towers (which are usually much more powerful than regular units). Then you just sit there and wait for the enemy to waste his forces, like a turtle protected by its shell.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:59 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:/me feels qualified to answer :)

Turtling is when you concentrate massively on defense. In many strategy games, this means that you build walls around your base (and possibly the resource gathering spots), keep lots of units around it, and place lots of defense towers (which are usually much more powerful than regular units). Then you just sit there and wait for the enemy to waste his forces, like a turtle protected by its shell.

at least, that's one way to turtle ;)

I think maybe we should just define it as:

Code: Select all

Turtling is when you concentrate massively on defense

and leave it at that :)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:24 pm

Yeah, the rest was just an example. Walls and stationary defenses are not available in all games, after all :)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:30 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Yeah, the rest was just an example. Walls and stationary defenses are not available in all games, after all :)

true, although the walls in defcon are awesome for stopping those ICBMs :)
estel
level4
level4

Postby estel » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:55 pm

I'm also hoping that the specs aren't above those needed for Darwinia, which I can just about run acceptably on my laptop :)

Return to “Introversion Blog”