Survival of the Flattest

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Wow. Very cool. Now that I see the game itself, I've got to agree with Rkiver - Digicide is the best name suggestion so far.
And I'm curious as to what that bizarre orb hovering above one of the checkpoints was...
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:20 pm

Damn.

xander
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:25 pm

Icepick wrote:In the last minute of the game which isn't in the video, I completely take control of the entire map and overtake Chris' score. I wonder why he left that part out ;)

Actually the real reason is that I was using Fraps to record, and fraps dumps the video uncompressed to your hard disk, and after 3.9Gb of movie data it has to start a new file because Windows can't do files larger. So the rest of the battle is in a seperate movie file, and I didnt see much point in joining them since nothing good happens in the last part :)
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:27 pm

Chris wrote:
Icepick wrote:In the last minute of the game which isn't in the video, I completely take control of the entire map and overtake Chris' score. I wonder why he left that part out ;)

Actually the real reason is that I was using Fraps to record, and fraps dumps the video uncompressed to your hard disk, and after 3.9Gb of movie data it has to start a new file because Windows can't do files larger. So the rest of the battle is in a seperate movie file, and I didnt see much point in joining them since nothing good happens in the last part :)

go on, post it up, let us see Icepicks victory ;)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:36 pm

Chris wrote:

Use the application `convert` (it's there in standard XP installs) to make the drive NTFS. You can then write a single file of up to 2TB without problem :)

(Something like... `convert {DRIVE} /FS:NTFS /X` should work fine. You won't lose your data in the process, but I'd always suggest a backup first :P)

NeoThermic
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:37 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
Chris wrote:

Use the application `convert` (it's there in standard XP installs) to make the drive NTFS. You can then write a single file of up to 2TB without problem :)

(Something like... `convert {DRIVE} /FS:NTFS /X` should work fine. You won't lose your data in the process, but I'd always suggest a backup first :P)

NeoThermic

are there any disadvantages to NTFS? because we always used to be FAT32 but converted recently (500Gb of HDD space with FAT would mean a lot of partitions :P )
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:47 pm

martin wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Use the application `convert` (it's there in standard XP installs) to make the drive NTFS. You can then write a single file of up to 2TB without problem :)

NeoThermic

are there any disadvantages to NTFS? because we always used to be FAT32 but converted recently (500Gb of HDD space with FAT would mean a lot of partitions :P )

Disadvantages? None that most would ever encounter. However, for the sake of being complete, here's the three that know of:
  • XP has silly limits on the NTFS implementation. If you want a single partition to be over 2TB, you need to use a dynamic partition.
  • The maximum file size in theory is 16TB, but XP also limits that one to 2TB (actually, being uber pendanitc, the theoretical limit is 16EB...)
  • You can't have files older than the 1st Jan 1601, or later than uhh, May 28 60056 (eat that any OS based on 32bit time!)

Now-a-days linux can read and in most cases write to NTFS, so that's not a disadvantage anymore. Plus, NTFS fragments less than FAT32, and since it's a journaling file system, corrupt files shouldn't happen. However, you shouldn't ever eject a NTFS drive before it's done committing the journal, or your files you just wrote will vanish ;)

NeoThermic
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:50 pm

# XP has silly limits on the NTFS implementation. If you want a single partition to be over 2TB, you need to use a dynamic partition.
# The maximum file size in theory is 16TB, but XP also limits that one to 2TB (actually, being uber pendanitc, the theoretical limit is 16EB...)
# You can't have files older than the 1st Jan 1601, or later than uhh, May 28 60056 (eat that any OS based on 32bit time!)

Ok, well I don't think any of those really count as problems for me, I only have (hah, only, it's enough for me) 500Gb so partitions @ 2Tb is plenty ;)
Similarly with files, I won't be making any files larger than my entire HDD capacity, and I'm not planing on time travelling, so I'm all ok :D

if NTFS is so good, why is FAT even an option any more?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:57 pm

Last time I tried, my Mac couldn't write to a NTFS partition :(
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:04 pm

martin wrote:if NTFS is so good, why is FAT even an option any more?

Backwards compatibility with operating systems that can't support NTFS. Mac just might be the only OS worth caring about in that regard, but then I'm sure there's some software for the Mac to mount NTFS drives. If not, then don't use Macs with NTFS ;)

NeoThermic
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:13 pm

Ooh!

Downloading video now, 10 mins to go (Damn you 1Mbps!). Will comment on things soon!

Edit for comment: Wow.

That not enough? Ok.
Looks like a whole bunch of pure chaotic Fun. Makes me want to play Darwinia again :(
I like the powerup crates (with the almost engrish notice of "Crate Drop!") and the general style of the gameplay mode. Makes a change from King of the Hill with just one point to defend. More tactical decisions to make.
One thing I hope has been improved over Defcon though is the net code. Not that it was very horrible before, but having to wait 5 minutes to sync up with a game that's been running for 45 minutes after dropping gets a bit tedious. Plus, Multiwinia seems to be a lot more reaction based and prone to lag, which could be ignored for the most part in Defcon.
I hereby submit my application to beta test. Make sure I'm on the top of the list!

Note: for those who are having trouble playing the movie, try BSPlayer.
Last edited by LLamaBoy on Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:19 pm

NeoThermic wrote:but then I'm sure there's some software for the Mac to mount NTFS drives.

It mounts and reads, just can't write.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:24 pm

Icepick wrote:
NukeLord wrote:Wow, that looks brilliant, i like the way the trees catch fire from grenade explosions, and the power up crates are a great idea. I agree with martin about why you lost, Gary was able to surround you with his larger army while you attempted to go straight for the points.

I can't wait for this to be released, keep up the good work guys!

Actually the bulk of the army that I did the most damage with was from a couple of handy powerups. Capturing a spawn point a few seconds later than your opponent wont make much of a difference, as we're trying to make sure that the game is decided by a click-fest at the start.

I understand what you're telling me but the point still stands that Chris lost because you had more DGs and so were able to surround and easily kill off the smaller groups that he was sending to capture the other points, and the more I talk about the game the more I can't wait to play it.

If the same modding ability is available as in Darwinia then this is going to be awesome, with player created maps and scenarios, etc.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:36 pm

FRAPS always cuts at 4GB, no matter what.

Anyway, it seems like it's going to be pretty good - the crate drop mechanic is exactly what was needed I think - good call.

I'm fairly sure Chris lost because the moment he got a squad he didn't instantly go and destroy all of Ice's spawn points and/or prevent him capturing additional powerups, where as, Ice made good use of his armour (and soul sucker thingy) to bypass his main forces and perform a coup of his spawn points.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:25 pm

I hope I ain't the only one seeing the humor in giving advice on how to play a game to one of the game creators in a game that isn't even out yet :D

Return to “Introversion Blog”