Notes from the Slippery Slope, Part 1

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:53 am

There is, indeed, a reason why the games do not have names for 80% of their development.

Also I still like IVS, it has a SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART.

Especially if you add a subtitle beginning with u, to make it IVSU.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:21 am

Why not multiwinia? :P
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Re: A digital nightmare, Part 1

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:25 am

Chris wrote:The codename Multiwinia has stuck since the start, but it's not what we want - this name only means something to people who've played Darwinia. We are fairly sure we don't want the word Darwinia in the main title at all. We want something that represents the fun crazy action multiplayer game we are trying to make.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Inigo
level1
level1

Postby Inigo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:27 am

Cannon Fodd- wait, no.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:31 am

Inigo wrote:Cannon Fodd- wait, no.

D:
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:25 am

The Game of Death.

In reference to The Game of Life (by John Horton Conway, not the rubbish board game).

:D Nice!
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:57 am

ChasM wrote:All your base belongs to us.

It's awful that you actually managed to write that wrong.

Back on-topic, I still vote Digital Selection: Evolution Evolved (no, I don't play Halo).

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:26 am

OBLITTERATION

The old "blitter" chip...sigh...simpler times...

:wink:
Lambchops
level0

Postby Lambchops » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:33 am

It's a shame there's already a game called Wargasm!

How about Gladius Digitalus, the Gladuis being the latin root of the word Gladiator and digitalus being an obvious bit of pig latin for digital.

The whole concept of Multiwinia kind of seems to me to be somewhat gladitorial, cruelly pitting Darwinians against each other for the entertainment of the masses, rather than being some sort of war with a reason behind it. It's the kind of thing you could almost imagine some underling of Dr Sepulveda setting up without the doctor's knowledge. An underground tournament of Darwinian battles designed to earn him a bit of money by entertaining some sick bastards who want to see the cute little guys duke it out.

I kind of like that concept but sadly I couldn't think of a better name to describe it, so for now Gladius Digitalus will have to do! I suppose dispensing with all the Latin malarkey would give a simple Digital Gladiators. However that seems to me to lack impact.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:52 pm

maybe chris could tell us some of the reason for this massive war in darwinia??
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:25 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Also I still like IVS, it has a SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART.
Or is it really IN YOUR QUEEN OF HEARTS?
brice
level2
level2

Postby brice » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:28 pm

elDiablo wrote:The Game of Death

Along the "Fodder" lines, how 'bout "Fodder Flies", where "Flies" plays on both the verb and the noun. Also rhymes with "Everybody dies." And you could decrease the simulated gravity so DGs fly farther when they get blown up but don't die.

Jetpac wrote:defwinia (from this thread here)
Chris wrote:We've also got Alistair coming back to work on the audio (can't imagine anyone else ever doing our audio to be honest - where do you find someone who can do audio like Darwinia and Defcon?)

Assuming Multiwinia = Darwinia + Defcon somehow, "Defwinia" makes sense except it is too much of an insider's name for a new game. How 'bout "DEFening Defeat", or just "Defening", as in the overwhelming sounds Alistair will make your opponent hear when your army comes over the hill. What's Darwinia without squealing green DGs??? I hope all the teams will squeal in Multiwinia. Oh the horror of a hilarious war! Will they get digital napalm so the burning DG code can be unleashed from the rocket demo?

Chris wrote:The only part i'm personally handling is the new control method for managing your army.

I'm guessing Defwinia will be something like Darwina DG Wars with realtime circles and arrows controls to form gradients for the DGs to follow. Sort of like Defcon overlayed on top of Darwinia.

Hopefully you can sort out the 2x performance advantage the Linux Darwinia engine has over the Windows engine when dealing with large DG armies. See here. Unfair advantage for the few if they get 2x fps during heavy battles. (Although it might make the linux port profitable for once?) It seems like it has something to do with the costs of sounds.

Assuming you want to make a game which is different from both Darwinia and Defcon, ...well, how is Defwinia different?
thePyro_13
level0

Postby thePyro_13 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:13 pm

MultiVersion
Inigo
level1
level1

Postby Inigo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:16 pm

Chris wrote:Future War

MST3k viewers will agree with me when I say that's a bad idea.
illustriouschin
level1
level1

Postby illustriouschin » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:42 pm

Inigo wrote:
Chris wrote:Future War

MST3k viewers will agree with me when I say that's a bad idea.

or anyone who has played a Tom Clancy game which that horrible name is most suited for.

Return to “Introversion Blog”