Notes from the Slippery Slope, Part 1

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:39 pm

Xocrates wrote:@martin: Did you know that I actually had written "Digital Selection" in one of my previous post only to delete it.

yes, my powers of digital necromancy temporarily resurrected the spirit of your post and I read it ¬¬
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
OrR
level1
level1

Postby OrR » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:57 pm

Xocrates wrote:You know, since the original name is a derivation of Darwin, maybe something related to evolution and it's principles would be cool.

martin wrote:EDIT3:: Or, just reading the charles darwinia post on wikipedia, how about something like "natural selection", or "unnatural selection" of course, maybe a play on that theme, "digital selection" and the like...

Virtual Selection
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:03 pm

Survival of the Fittest
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:07 pm

You'd need to be careful not to step on NS's, natural selection, ie the mod for HL, feet.

Anyway names are tough. You need something snappy, or something which abbreviates to something snappy.

I'd go for a spin on American McGee's Alice;

Introversion's Softwar.

(Edit, I was thinking SotF but there's that mod someone made called that, and it appbreviates to SotF, rather than Soft, which is much cooler!)

(Edit 2 - Hmm, VS is actually pretty good, cause it abbreviates to VS...)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:17 pm

Click the image for a 12 MB .mov . The movie is not perfect -- my lappy can't really keep up with the frames that Darwinia is pushing, but it should give you an idea. If anyone wants to try to create a similar movie, let me know, and I will send you the files.

xander
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:21 pm

Net Wars. Rawr.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:28 pm

The GoldFish wrote:Introversion's Softwar.

best one so far...
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:44 pm

My favorites from all the suggestions so far are:
martin wrote:digital selection

Gorans wrote:.war

These titles, along with being clever, tell the customer that this is a digital war game. "Digital Selection" also does justice to the world of Darwinia, which is a product of evolution. Plus it sounds good. ".war", however, is the perfect short and attractive title, I think. If I saw ".war", it would catch my eye.

I think having "Wars" at the end may be a little too cliche. It fits with IV's retro feel, but the problem is that it's used so often that it's become generic. "Arena Wars", "Geometry Wars", "Void War", "Neon Wars", "Naked War", etc., etc., etc.

Couple crazy ideas:

eNA
e-splode
e-dward scissorhands
e-voluptuous

EDIT: Softwar isn't so bad either

wwarnick
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:56 pm

Introversion's softwar sounds cool, but doesn't fit the game very well, i think.
I like future wars, but when i hear it, i would more think of a c&c game than of an introversion game. It just doesn't sound as original as uplink, darwinia or defcon.

No. I don't have any better suggestions, but i'm working on it :wink:
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Chris wrote:Survival of the Fittest

Nah, chris'll never like that ;)

wwarnick wrote:My favorites from all the suggestions so far are:
martin wrote:digital selection

thankyou :D
I was just throwing ideas around but actually that does sound rather good dosen't it :D

wwarnick wrote:
Gorans wrote:.war

These titles, along with being clever, tell the customer that this is a digital war game. "Digital Selection" also does justice to the world of Darwinia, which is a product of evolution. Plus it sounds good. ".war", however, is the perfect short and attractive title, I think. If I saw ".war", it would catch my eye.

I think having "Wars" at the end may be a little too cliche...

I gotta agree with the cliché thing, I went for DS (<-- Hey look, it abbreviates!) because it's a bit more unique.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:07 pm

wwarnick wrote:These titles tell the customer that this is a digital war game.

And that is what I hate about these titles. Imagine someone walking around a shop. When someone sees a game with 'war' in it, they would think of something completely different. The point in Multiwinia isn't war, it's the obscurity that made Darwinia so loveable. I have to say that '.war' is indeed very clever, but just not it. But if I had to vote right now, I'd definitely choose 'Digital Selection'.

Chris wrote:Survival of the Fittest

Let's stick with dorky puns: 'Survival of the Bittest'.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:09 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:But if I had to vote right now, I'd definitely choose 'Digital Selection'.

Jelco

thankyou, but I have a better suggestion...

UpDefSubWinia

Well someone had to say it :D
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:09 pm

edit this was re;

martin wrote:I gotta agree with the cliché thing, I went for DS (<-- Hey look, it abbreviates!) because it's a bit more unique.

Just don't tell Nintendo

edit 2;

haha, you could call it 'the generation game'
Last edited by The GoldFish on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:12 pm

The GoldFish wrote:edit this was re;

martin wrote:I gotta agree with the cliché thing, I went for DS (<-- Hey look, it abbreviates!) because it's a bit more unique.

Just don't tell Nintendo

yeah, that did occur to me, however I doubt that many people are going to mix up digital selection the game and DS the console :P
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:16 pm

'Yottabyte Crash'

Yes, yottabyte is a real word. You could replace it with (from largest to smallest) zetta-, exa-, peta-, tera-, giga-, mega- or kilobyte.

EDIT: martin, you've been on these forums for quite some time. You should know the importance of capitalization around here by now. It's 'Digital Selection: The Game'. I hate words entirely written in lowercase when they shouldn't be... :D

Jelco
Last edited by jelco on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Blog”