Celebrating the Darwinian's 10000th anniversary

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Celebrating the Darwinian's 10000th anniversary

Postby John » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:43 pm

Fully re-mastered in 2022 to celebrate the Darwinian's 10000 anniversary this updated version brings an undisputed indie classic bang up to date. Running seamlessly on all modern systems, the game hasn't aged a day and is a fresh and relevant now as it was when it first dropped. Winning 3 out of 5 prizes at the IGF including the Seamous McNally Grand prize for Best Independent Video Game and multiple editors' choice awards, now is the time to play one of the most critically acclaimed indie games of all time.

Graphics

The entire graphics engine has been rewritten from scratch for compatibility with modern graphics APIs and better performance. Darwinia is currently compatible with systems with support for OpenGL 3.3 core, Direct3D 11, Metal, or Vulkan. Support for non-OpenGL graphics APIs is made possible by ANGLE.

Other high-level changes include:

- All the in-game UI now scales more appropriately with the size and DPI of the monitor it's running on
- Support for anti-aliasing modes including MSAA, SSAA, SMAA, and FXAA
- Support for AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 1.0 (FSR)
- Support for anisotropic texture filtering
- Higher fidelity colors and tonemapping

Sound

The sound engine now supports up to 7.1-channel surround sound and uses 3D spatialization (i.e. directional audio and doppler effect), using MiniAudio. The sound engine supports any of the backends that MiniAudio does, including but not limited to WASAPI (Windows), PulseAudio (Linux), and CoreAudio (macOS).

Compatibility

Darwinia now requires hardware and drivers that support a minimum of at least one of these graphics APIs:

- OpenGL 3.3
- Vulkan 1.1
- Direct3D 11
- Metal

On Intel and AMD CPUs, the minimum instruction set requirement has been raised to SSE4.2, for higher performance 3D graphics math (matrices and vectors).

Apple Silicon Support on macOS
macOS builds now have support for both Intel and Apple Silicon.

Steam integration
The Steam release has a few minor features integrated for a better experience on the Steam platform, including:

- Cloud saves and Dynamic Cloud Sync support
- On-screen keyboard support (e.g. on devices using game controllers in Big Picture mode, or the Steam Deck)
- Tuned default settings for better Steam Deck support

Performance

Outside of architecture-specific changes, numerous performance improvements have been made throughout the entire game engine. One nice side effect of the heavy emphasis on performance is that Darwinia now requires far less energy to run, increasing battery life and playtime on laptops and other portable devices like the Steam Deck.

Bugfixes

There have been many bugfixes on numerous axes, including scripting, level editing, input handling, graphics, sound, stability, and game AI.
Hasbin
level0

Re: Celebrating the Darwinian's 10000th anniversary

Postby Hasbin » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:34 am

I just wanted to pop by to say it's very cool that you did this. Bravo.
Virulent Virus
level4
level4

Postby Virulent Virus » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:22 pm

Thank you for supporting this game. What great news for an Easter weekend :)
Lowell
level3
level3

Postby Lowell » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:39 am

Just gave the game a play-through in 4k, very impressed...awesome work. Smooth gameplay, I am excited to work on completing part two of my mod now.
WilliamDesousa
level0

Postby WilliamDesousa » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:46 pm

I love this game and I still play it everyday.
MichaelMontana
level0

Postby MichaelMontana » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:39 am

WilliamDesousa wrote:I love this game and I still play it everyday.

I am also in love with this game. I am glad I found this game. By the way, if you want to read free essay samples then try here where you can read them for free. I also use that website to read free essay samples.

Return to “Introversion Blog”