Thanks

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
invaderzim48
level0

Thanks

Postby invaderzim48 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:53 pm

Through some manner of strange nostalgia I find myself on familiar digital shores once more. Heh that took time and effort from a CS major you'd all had better appreciate it.

I'm not sure what compels me to come here and write this today, but I do know that IV played a direct role in my life ever since I found that green boxed copy of Darwinia. Before I even had internet access at home I can remember staying late after elementary school (I guess you guy's would call it primary?) endlessly browsing these forums desperately trying to find out everything I could on Darwinia and how to use that damn level editor, or trying to figure out just what in the hell was Uplink all about. The school I went to had dial-up still and I can vividly remember 'downloading' Uplink a piece at a time and saving it onto a tiny usb drive; I think it took me a straight week to pirate it (I own it now legitimately of course :wink: ).

Uplink and Darwinia and later Multiwinia's set dressing fascinated me. I attribute my current IT career to them, those games sparked my curiosity about the machine I was playing them on, of course (much to my infinite disappointment) there aren't little stick figures fighting a battle to the death inside each machine, but nonetheless, they are directly responsible for my interest in computers at such a young age which eventually led to the career I now have. I will forever hold out hope for a darwinia 2, or a Multiwinia level editor, even if my own attempts to create such with the source code proved fruitless.

Once again thanks, I owe IV a debt of gratitude, and $20 for that pirated copy of uplink.

P.S. The key-chain and poster were a nice touch.
Simon27
level1
level1

Re: Thanks

Postby Simon27 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:39 am

As far as I understand, you play Darwinia and Uplink from the very beginning? How much free time do you have left? My work is also connected with the computer (not a programmer) and it becomes difficult for me to keep fit. How do you solve this problem? I can not choose between going to the gym and individual training. The first option is noticeable a lot of time, and the second is significantly more expensive .. What would you choose?
DouglasX
level1
level1

Re: Thanks

Postby DouglasX » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:51 am

Simon27 wrote:As far as I understand, you play Darwinia and Uplink from the very beginning? How much free time do you have left? My work is also connected with the computer (not a programmer) and it becomes difficult for me to keep fit. How do you solve this problem? I can not choose between going to the gym and individual training. The first option is noticeable a lot of time, and the second is significantly more expensive .. What would you choose?

Hi, bro! You aren't the first to solve this problem. When I was a young man my work was 30 minutes from my house. I was walking this distance on weekdays. I didn’t have such an opportunity at my next job, and I found a suitable workout for myself - https://sportstopics.com/best-battle-ropes/ Usually, I practice in the backyard of my house and in the cold weather I go to the garage. I like that I can adjust the training time myself. Most groups in gyms have a strict schedule and this isn't suitable for me. How did you like the ropes? Will you try it?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”