I downloaded Uplink off KaZaa, and it wants a key card

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

I downloaded Uplink off KaZaa, and it wants a key card

Postby Punisher Bass » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:42 pm

If I had a nickle for every time I read something like that back in the day...

Hi there, I'm an old fart who goes way back with the IV community, almost to the very beginning. Unless you're also an old fart like myself, you probably don't know who the hell I am. I was one of the 1.2 patch testers for Uplink, did beta testing on Darwinia and Defcon, was (and still am apparently) a moderator, I'm also the guy who wrote the How To guide for creating your own gateway for Uplink.

There's some history there.

Anyway, two things made me want to stop by and check in. One, I bought Prison Architect during the Steam sale, it's the first IV product I've had to actually buy since Uplink back in 2002. Two, I saw this morning that SyFy is going to make a reality show about hacking and couldn't help but think of the old crew.

So yeah... I guess this a bit of comeback tour for me.
xander
level5
level5

Re: I downloaded Uplink off KaZaa, and it wants a key card

Postby xander » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:10 pm

I saw your name as the topic originator and clicked the link thinking that I was going to get the opportunity to flame some n00b or spambot for necrobumping a dead thread. I am pleasantly surprised to see that it is really you. Yay! How's things?

xander
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:14 pm

I'm feeling very old right now, like "where has my youth gone?" old. I'm on the IRC server and it's nice to see some familiar names, but some are gone, like Rkiver and Icepick is apparently a ghost. And the forums is just a sea of names I don't know.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:45 am

Welcome back PB! I've been with the community a long time as well. Although you will not remember me since I've only become an active forum user since PA, I do remember you. Your guide on gateways helped me a great deal creating my own and I'd like to say thanks for that. Better late than never, eh? ;)
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:31 pm

Hello, old fart!

I'm a much less old fart. nice to meet you!

I don't suppose you can prove your moderator superpowers, now, can you? ;)
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:03 pm

VoiD88 wrote:Welcome back PB! I've been with the community a long time as well. Although you will not remember me since I've only become an active forum user since PA, I do remember you. Your guide on gateways helped me a great deal creating my own and I'd like to say thanks for that. Better late than never, eh? ;)

You're welcome. Tell me, is it still accurate and helpful after all this time, or does it need to be rewritten to cover any updates that have happened over the last decade? I've been out of the loop for so long it's insane.

Writing that guide was what landed a spot as one of (I think) 6 people to test out the 1.2 patch. While I guess my input helped shape the way mods were incorporated into the game, I think my biggest actual contribution was suggesting they make you double click the delete button on emails. That was a real problem at the time since it was easy to click delete really fast and wind up deleting the one that triggers the storyline.

NeatNit wrote:Hello, old fart!

I'm a much less old fart. nice to meet you!

I don't suppose you can prove your moderator superpowers, now, can you? ;)

I still have mod powers, I'm genuinely shocked about that, but they're only active on a few portions of the Uplink section. It's nice to see there's a lot more mods around these days, way back when it was a real nightmare.

We were still using a VERY old version of Ikonboard which was full of security holes, no active mods or moderation to speak of, we got hacked several times, it was like the wild west. Eventually the powers that be listened and started appointing community members to watch over things and moved us over the forums we have now.
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:13 pm

Welcome back :) I thought we'd been hacked when I saw your username active again.

Icepick works for us on prison architect these days ;) in fact he's worked on every Iv game since (including) darwinia.

Hope you enjoy prison architect :)
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:28 pm

Hey Chris, long long long time no see.

I remember when you guys hired Icepick, and it was kept real hush hush at the time, but I thought he left when you guys started to run into financial problems. Glad to hear he's still on board, but I need to know one thing. Is he still sporting that blue hairdo or is it something more mature these days?
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:13 pm

Punisher Bass wrote:Tell me, is it still accurate and helpful after all this time, or does it need to be rewritten to cover any updates that have happened over the last decade? I've been out of the loop for so long it's insane.

Heh, updates... good one... :)
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:10 pm

NeatNit wrote:Heh, updates... good one... :)

The last patch I remember was 1.3, apparently now up to 1.55.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Ah look it's the crusty old farts reunion thread!

Hello you bunch.

And yes Prison Architect is bloody fantastic fun.
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:56 pm

Speak for yourself old man, I never said I was crusty ontop of being old. :P

How've you been?
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Heart is still beating.

Let's see, my own business is expanding, gone into profit as of two months ago (profit beyond just supporting my family and itself). Had a cancer scare which wasn't fun, but tumour dealt with. My daughter is a delight and I love being a father. My wife and I are married 8 years at the end of the month.

Finally visited the US too, and will be doing so again to help do some stuff at Defcon later this year.

And my mother in law has decided that we should have a house, and is buying us one this year.

So overall, bloody awesome.

Yourself?
Punisher Bass
level5
level5

Postby Punisher Bass » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:50 pm

Glad to hear things are going so well. Congrats on fatherhood and the marriage.

I've had some ups and some downs. Still living in St Louis, taking care of my mom, just trying to enjoy life. There aren't any PB 2.0's yet, but I am an uncle now, I've also become a pretty decent writer, to the degree I might actually get paid for it at some point.

Things have been a little crazy around here though the last few months. I don't know if you've heard of the rioting in Ferguson Missouri or the Michael Brown shooting, if not I won't go into detail, but that's been going down about 20 minutes from where I live.

I've also become much more involved with the car world, tune ups and repairs and such, also been doing the 24 Hours Of LeMons (not LeMans) since 2009 which is great fun.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:04 pm

Punisher Bass wrote:was (and still am apparently) a moderator

Well, I saw no harm in leaving you there since.. forever.. Welcome back though! :)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”