Defcon Broken Again...

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Murph
level1
level1

Re: Staff Neglecting Defcon

Postby Murph » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:01 am

RGeezy911 wrote:I'm just a volunteer moderator here, so I cannot tell you the details surrounding the metaserver. I'm sure Introversion would love to hire more people to help them out, and ensure all of their products are running as smooth as possible. Unfortunately, they've had a very rough history which might be why they are hesitant to hire.

Just my thoughts, Cheers!

EDIT: Also, the EULA states the product can be faulty. It can be used against the customer because the EULA is freely viewable to everyone who visits the website. Therefore, a customer buying a faulty product, and knows the product is faulty, is not covered under the SoGA. I'm not sure how much of a defense this holds in court, but it's what I was originally pointing out. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough!

Trading Standards, and the courts do not accept, and take an very dim view of, companies using general boilerplate contract terms to avoid their responsibilities towards statutory rights. If it was made clear in the general advertising materials that there were frequent issues preventing proper operation of the multiplayer aspect of the game, and that the company no longer actively supported that, there would be no case to answer. As it is, it's still being advertised and sold as a fully functional multiplayer game, with no specific caveats in the advertising.

To use a different example. If a company sells you a car and says up front "the air conditioning is broken, we're not prepared to fix it", that's fine and there's no legal issues. If they sell you a car for much more than scrap value and only say "stuff might be broken, we don't care", they are potentially liable. If they sell you a car for close to scrap value, informing the customer and endorsing the invoice with "sold for spares or repair only, not warranted as roadworthy or merchantable quality", it's caveat emptor. Being non-specific is where the problem arises and the company continues to be liable.

I'm aware of IV's history, and am keen to see them continue as a success story. I'm glad that they are being very cautious and avoiding rapid expansion, that's extremely prudent management. I don't want them to spend a huge amount of time and resource on this, but I do feel that they have a responsibility to spend a very small amount of time to take a quick look at the server and give it a kick if required. If the problems are something deeper, which can't be fixed with a quick kick in the right spot, then just letting people know that would go a long way to maintaining their reputation.

It's slow and hard to gain reputation, but it can be lost quickly and easily.
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Apologies for the downtime, we are investigating. We have no intention of allowing Defcon to stop working - and we did not realise it was this badly broken. That's on us for being so focussed on Prison Architect. We do have a very small team but we have always intended to keep Defcon running forever.
Murph
level1
level1

Postby Murph » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:33 am

Chris wrote:Apologies for the downtime, we are investigating. We have no intention of allowing Defcon to stop working - and we did not realise it was this badly broken. That's on us for being so focussed on Prison Architect. We do have a very small team but we have always intended to keep Defcon running forever.

Thanks, Chris. Keep up the good work! :-)
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:53 pm

I have been investigating this problem and I have found that our metaserver has been losing its connection to Steam fairly regularly. During the time that it takes to re-establish the connection, the metaserver stalls completely causing other requests not to be serviced.

I've applied a fix to the metaserver to workaround this problem so that it shouldn't stall anymore. We're still investigating why the connection drops in the first place.

Please let me know if you're still experiencing difficulties.
Jackdapantyrip
level4
level4

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:00 am

About damn time chaps.. With all those funds too.. spend some quid.. while you're talented.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:03 pm

Cheers. All the best you two.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Re: Defcon !FIXED!

Postby kudayta » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:27 am

It appears that several Steam users are unable to use the full version of the game now. Any idea if the fix to the metaserver is related to that issue?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50648
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Re: Defcon !FIXED!

Postby RGeezy911 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:38 am

I've sent John a message, and hopefully the issue can be resolved. Should he respond, he'll reply in the topic you linked kudayta.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Re: Defcon Broken Again...

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Steam players can not use there Key ID, they must play as Demos witch is a big problem. Some special Group 6 servers are Demo restricted to promote buying the game. Its not all Steam players but a pretty good chuck from my understanding.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:40 pm

Sicilian Hound wrote:Some special Group 6 servers are Demo restricted to promote buying the game.
Just remove it?
I mean, as a player and server host you should be interessted to promote the playing of Defcon. I have no idea why it should concern you how many demo players upgrade to the full version.

The only half valid reason to restrict access the servers might be to seperate the expert players from the beginners a little as both usually get frustrated in certain game modes if mixed.

But that still would be an awfull idea with the low player base.
WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

Postby WiseWoodrow » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:37 am

Developing must be a stressful job when you've only got a few people, getting complaints to fix old games instantly or be bitched at when you're trying to work on something else.

Just be patient, ya' hooligans.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Patience is being tested greatly....
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:45 am

DTNC Vicious wrote:Patience is being tested greatly....

Very, well worded :evil:

Return to “Introversion Lounge”