Greetings from The Philippines!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
KuyaMarc
level0

Greetings from The Philippines!

Postby KuyaMarc » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Hello Introversion Lounge! I'm a newly registered user in Introversion Forums with the brand new level of 0... So this is my first post here, despite I promised myself to stop registering into forums as I am in the retirement stages. I used to be a BBS SysOp, webmaster, and moderator (for my sites and other people's sites); typically I'm the guy that rarely posts, but when I do post, it is like reading a novel.

I'm here in Introversion Forums because I bought the DEFCON game and I really enjoy it enough to promote it, mostly because it brings back my childhood memories, years before the WarGames movie came out. In simplified terms, my Filipino dad was in the U.S. Navy and I was a Navy Brat; I went to a public elementary school on a U.S. military base and had "DEFCON drills" (yes, really!) and learned of all the Global Thermonuclear War terms before I was 12 years old. Now, I'm 44 years old and I play DEFCON about 2-6 times a week, and I'm playing it in a neutral Third World country, The Philippines! (No nuclear weapons here...)

The DEFCON game reminds me of my dad's past work with the U.S. Navy during my first 13 years of my life. Sadly, my dad has two back-to-back strokes last March 2014 and I have not talked with him for several months; he can't talk since his strokes! The DEFCON game is symbolic to me, and is probably the number 1 reason why I play it.

I was born and raised, single in the USA and now I live, married in the Philippines.

The only Introversion game I like and prefer is DEFCON and no, I haven't tried the other games. I'm not yet a DEFCON addict, but I guess I am here to meet DEFCON addicts; maybe I can be converted into a true, die-hard DEFCON addict. Hint, Hint... Who wants to make me a DEFCON addict???

Since I'm now living in the Philippines, it is difficult, financially, to get stuff imported into the country, due to double/tripple taxation rate of Philippine Customs. I would order tangible stuff from the Introversion Store if I had double or triple the money, but it's just not worth it. Even if someone sent me a gift, I had to pay 1x-3x to receive it, so I no longer look forward to receving gifts.

Also, since this is my first post, I don't want to give people wrong ideas about me... No, I'm not rich. I'm actually a disabled person from the USA; most of my disabilities are invisible, such as chronic pain and rheumatoid arthritis. Aside from that, I'm a Linux SuperGeek with 17 years of experiences, however, I am stepping down from the pedestal as part of my retirement planning; I want to do simple stuff, like casual gaming and other end user stuff. I'm also giving up 25 years of software development, originally as a profession, recently as a hobby; I'm just tired of coding and debugging stuff. Though Introversion is selling the DEFCON source code in their store and I can not afford to buy it, please DO NOT send it to me, whatsoever; it is not on my bucket list and I cannot handle anymore stress. Before giving up software development a few days ago, I had the idea of porting DEFCON to PowerPC-based Debian Linux (my iBook G4 is no longer running Mac OS X!).

And last, but not least, John of Introversion support is aware of my upcoming DEFCON gaming experiments in my "computer lab". My focus will be on LAN or intranet gaming, with two DEFCON games (host & VM guest) on the same computer and with DEFCON games running on two or three other computers. I have not yet looked into the AI Bots, but it something I might look into in the nearby future.

Now, I wonder how many people fell asleep while reading my first post...
xander
level5
level5

Re: Greetings from The Philippines!

Postby xander » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:36 pm

KuyaMarc wrote:(my iBook G4 is no longer running Mac OS X!).

My Yosemite G3 isn't running OS X, either. I stuck it out with 8.6, and that's the way I likes it! Now, I'm gonna get offa your lawn. :P

Oh, yeah. Welcome to the boards. Be careful---the denizens of the Defcon subfora bite.

xander
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:50 pm

xander wrote:
KuyaMarc wrote:(my iBook G4 is no longer running Mac OS X!).

My Yosemite G3 isn't running OS X, either. I stuck it out with 8.6, and that's the way I likes it! Now, I'm gonna get offa your lawn. :P

Oh, yeah. Welcome to the boards. Be careful---the denizens of the Defcon subfora bite.

xander

I dont bite. I ... nibble.

Welcome to the forums and Defcon.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi there. Do you play via Steam ?
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:40 pm

A warm welcome to you!
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:03 am

Welcome to the DEFCON community. There are plenty of different game modes for you to play on. Hope to see you there.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:55 pm

Sicilian Hound wrote:There are plenty of different game modes for you to play on.

Some would say...too many :P

Return to “Introversion Lounge”