Guidance, making my next game. 'Tycoon'

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Guidance, making my next game. 'Tycoon'

Postby Dosedmonkey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Hello,

I have made some smaller arcade games, and modified (total conversion) some 3d shooters before.

Now I am very keen to make a 2D construction/management game. Prison Architect has inspired me. Where you construct somewhere that people are going to use, and you manage the construction too. Similar to Theme Hospital, or Roller Coaster Tycoon or Prison Architect. It doesn't have to be as advanced as them, but along those lines I want to make it.

I am very good with 2D design, and have done basic programming/modifying code for other games. I can do 3D modeling but don't want to for this game.

What is the best engine I could go for? Not too complex.

I don't think I can make a game like this quickly with GameSalad, I think this one I will need to code.

Any help / guidance apprecaited guys and girls. Thanks.

I know this sounds ambitious, but I go to sea for months at a time, so have plenty of time to develop.

Matt
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Re: Guidance, making my next game. 'Tycoon'

Postby thekillergreece » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:59 pm

How about..Police Architect :P? Kidding..

A game with...graphics of PA maybe?I dont know what graphics you will use and I dont care, I only want gameplay ;)

Anyway...My ideas are..Police Architect?Dunno.
Hospital Architect?Good idea, but we want action.Zombies?Nah
Game PC Story Development game?Good idea

Hey,pal, I would be interested in learning any new info from you on any 2D games you will plan in future...But for engine..In my hype decision, could be a stupid idea from most members of this forums...Use...PA engine...Like RimWorld ones...Or simple make a new one with better graphics or older, whatever, I only care about gameplay, pal ;), Good luck
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Whats RimWorld? Can you link me?

I have a good idea, with good gameplay involved. Just looking for the best place to jump off, what engines are suited to it. Theres loads out there, I don't know where to start for this sort of a game!
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:20 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:Whats RimWorld? Can you link me?

I have a good idea, with good gameplay involved. Just looking for the best place to jump off, what engines are suited to it. Theres loads out there, I don't know where to start for this sort of a game!

The RimWorld with PA engine:
http://ludeon.com/blog/rimworld/

Just different gameplay and settings.

I dont know what kind 2D game you want to play and which engine you should use..PA engine maybe?
Anyway, if you tell me what kind game you want, action?I mean Guards vs Prisoners like PA, where Prisoners obey rules,use contraband and fight against guards.Thats action ones. If so, choose Prison Architect where you have to hire Officers to arrest,sent criminals to jail, which they cant automatically done by A.I. And some much more.

If you tell me what kind type game you want then I tell...I know you want 2D Construction,management game like PA, but with action times or?
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:17 am

thekillergreece wrote:Use...PA engine...Like RimWorld ones...

The RimWorld with PA engine

I dont know what kind 2D game you want to play and which engine you should use..PA engine maybe?

RimWorld doesn't use the Prison Architect engine, it uses Unity. Introversion hasn't given any other company a copy of the engine (why would they when it's not finished?) so stop saying that they have.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:23 am

I don't know how to code but I'm would like to learn, so far I'm just doing some basic modding in Farming Simulator.

I do miss a transport game like those old ones where you build a city and connect the dots to create an economy, perhaps that is something you're interested in.
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:48 pm

MAdMaN wrote:
thekillergreece wrote:Use...PA engine...Like RimWorld ones...

The RimWorld with PA engine

RimWorld doesn't use the Prison Architect engine, it uses Unity. Introversion hasn't given any other company a copy of the engine (why would they when it's not finished?) so stop saying that they have.

Whatever, they are like PA engine.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:12 pm

thekillergreece wrote:Whatever, they are like PA engine.

Yes, it's like the PA engine but not the PA engine, just as military shooters look similar but use different engines.
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Ah I was looking at the Unity engine, couldn't see how good it would be to make a 2D game.

The basic idea, is a game similar to Airport Tycoon, but with much more emphasis on a fun terminal builder, Airport tycoons construction options was lacking in flexability, with horrible animated people and such, I want to make it a bit more cartoony and fun orientated too.

By making it in 2D I feel I can make a much nicer product then 3D Airport Tycoon, although I have played with the idea of making a nicer 3D version, I don't think that is achievable by myself. The way Airport Tycoon airport interiors worked, stopped wall construction, and made pathfinding very very basic, i could make that style very rapidly, I want to improve on it, make pathfinding where the game generators it depending on where you place walls.

Just downloading Angel 2D Engine, it has pathfinding example with it, so could be useful? Is there any good pathfinding examples for unity? I am finding it so hard to wade through the vast internet full of gaming engines and FPS shooters!
jois13
level2
level2

Postby jois13 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:01 pm

cool
Joe
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:Ah I was looking at the Unity engine, couldn't see how good it would be to make a 2D game.

There are multiple 2D games made on unity, and I've personally worked on 2D game prototypes made with it. As a cheap easy to use engine, Unity is hugely versatile.

They are making native 2D tools however, though I have no idea on the status of that. Either way, you can probably get 2D tools from the Unity asset store.
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:35 pm

Xocrates wrote:
Dosedmonkey wrote:Ah I was looking at the Unity engine, couldn't see how good it would be to make a 2D game.

There are multiple 2D games made on unity, and I've personally worked on 2D game prototypes made with it. As a cheap easy to use engine, Unity is hugely versatile.

They are making native 2D tools however, though I have no idea on the status of that. Either way, you can probably get 2D tools from the Unity asset store.

Thanks for the info. Is there any like engine add on specifically for RTS/tycoon type games for any engines do you know? I want a good starting point, for the ground tiling/grid system for example, so I can concentrate on programming AI behaviours and airport specific stuff.

Thanks, sorry I feel I am jumping off from a big difference of modding old games with only one SDK available, to a world of engines and bits and bobs to go with them.

EDIT: I have found tile map editors, but thats more for producing levels then a grid system for players to use. Any ideas.

UPDATE: Found this, looks like a start, hoping to find something with a bit more in, pathfinding for example too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuqThz4Zc9c

Other update: This is more like it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKRnfwFOc_c
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:48 am

Dosedmonkey, I dont know if you are really a 100% effective developer, so do your best to create your own engine...There, we can discuss what kind game type you want later
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:21 pm

thekillergreece wrote:so do your best to create your own engine

That's a hugely naive suggestion.

Game engines are hugely complex endevours, even simple ones. You should always look into existing engines before setting out to do your own. This is particularly true in this day and age where cheap easy to use engines are pretty easy to find. Heck, Gunpoint, which is one of my favourite games this year was made in Gamemaker (which, btw, may be an interesting option for 2D tile based games).
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Xocrates wrote:
thekillergreece wrote:so do your best to create your own engine

That's a hugely naive suggestion.

Game engines are hugely complex endevours, even simple ones. You should always look into existing engines before setting out to do your own. This is particularly true in this day and age where cheap easy to use engines are pretty easy to find. Heck, Gunpoint, which is one of my favourite games this year was made in Gamemaker (which, btw, may be an interesting option for 2D tile based games).

maybe, or something cartoonish graphics like Prison Architect for 100% quality of game

Return to “Introversion Lounge”