Just wanted to ask for some tips.

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
bluestrike15
level1
level1

Just wanted to ask for some tips.

Postby bluestrike15 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:35 am

Im an american high school student who is interested into the world of computer game programing im already taking my sophomore year programming class(which is full of other people who want to make video games. I mean what would you expect people in that class to do make a site dedicated to cupcakes?) Im just learning how to code really simple things and i was wondering if the community (And if god would allow it Chis himself) to give me some tips on how to improve myself in this field. Just to add some other things to the list, Im also taking Engineering classes( The ones take make you think not the ones where you make your girlfriend a wooden shelf) and im also a avid JROTC cadet, other than that i have all A's in a below average school taking mostly honors(smart) classes. I hope to see some feed back from you guys :)
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Re: Just wanted to ask for some tips.

Postby MAdMaN » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 am

Set yourself goals, and have later goals build upon existing ones, e.g. 1. make text scroll up the screen, 2. get the text from a file, 3. allow the user to specify the file to use.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Learn math. Lots of math. Minor in math. Or even better, major in math. :P

Specifically, when you get to college (or if you feel like some hard reading now) learn some discrete mathematics (game theory, graph theory, network theory) and get comfortable with linear algebra (probably at least two semesters worth, depending on the curriculum at your university).

I would also recommend that you have a look at Extra Credits. I'm not a member of the game development industry, so I can't really judge how useful or applicable these little videos might be, but I personally find them fascinating, and can see where they might come in handy.

xander
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:20 pm

xander wrote:Learn math. Lots of math. Minor in math. Or even better, major in math. :P

xander

I thought you hated applied math!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:25 pm

NeatNit wrote:
xander wrote:Learn math. Lots of math. Minor in math. Or even better, major in math. :P

xander

I thought you hated applied math!

Did I say that he should learn applied math? Heaven's no!

That said, that is, of course, what I meant. I might not be overly fond of applied math, but I can certainly see when it is useful.

xander
Jackdapantyrip
level4
level4

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:45 pm

John Carmack always recommends this book when people ask for advice.

http://www.amazon.com/Effective-Specific-Improve-Programs-Designs/dp/0321334876

Return to “Introversion Lounge”