Mishap.....

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Mishap.....

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:26 am

I see these spam adds everywhere all the time "kitchen shit everywhere" I decided to finally click on one to see what the hell is all this crap all the flipping time.... and by accident I clicked the link... Do we know if these sites are virus prone? If so I am going to set my computer to factory image before it douse any damage. I do not have a firewall atm. But I am working on my own one.
-SH
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:32 am

I don't believe they are, you should calm down. They're just trying to sell you kitchens.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Re: Mishap.....

Postby MAdMaN » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:11 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:I do not have a firewall atm.

Even if you were infected a firewall could be useless depending on which virus you have. Make sure you have a good anti-virus program installed (check this site for a comparison of the major ones).
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:33 am

I highly recommend Kaspersky Internet Security. It is the full package and Kaspersky is considered by many to be the industry leader in home protection.

http://www.kaspersky.com

(here it is on MAdMaN's website: http://www.av-test.org/no_cache/en/test ... %5D=132345)
Trollitito
level1
level1

Postby Trollitito » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:16 am

"Factory reset" because you opened an unknown link of kitchen? What do you do with your internet? Opening facebook? :lol:

Jokes aside, it's not big deal. Even without a firewall, if you have an anti-virus (couldn't figure out if you do or not) depending on it's configurations, it would be detected right away. If not, which is plausible possible, just make a full scan with virus databased updated, in the end you're good to go.

Even if you don't have nothing, you can always install and make a scan, anyway, i am sure that the link is the less of your worries in case you don't have any kind of secure, because every kind of malware can come from anywhere even from your DNS service (depending which one you use of course) without you doing really nothing, just connecting to internet.

But come on, if you got dirty clothes, you don't buy new ones (do you? :o ), you just wash them. :wink:
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks NeatNit, MAdMaN and Trollitito for the recommendations :)

Trollitito wrote:"Factory reset" because you opened an unknown link of kitchen? What do you do with your internet? Opening facebook? :lol:

I reset my computer to factory every month to keep it running smooth and fast. (So it would not be a big deal like it sounds like to you guys :lol: ) I have all my photos, videos, and other misc. stuff saved online and on flash drives. I never store anything important on my computer. I am just saying this because this is the smartest and most safest way to do anything with a computer.

Trollitito wrote: But come on, if you got dirty clothes, you don't buy new ones (do you? :o ), you just wash them. :wink:

Lastly I know how to take care of a computer and have it run fast and smooth for years and years. But I am to lazy to do the maintenance work (Yes I know it isn't that much but I have a busy life of Party, Friends, then Defcon some night), much more easier to do what you want then reset after a month or two once it starts slowing down lmao.
-SH
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:55 pm

Sicilian Hound wrote:much more easier to do what you want then reset after a month or two once it starts slowing down lmao.

Huh - what - no - a month? Windows shouldn't slow down even in years if ya take care of it. A reinstall...blimey. Waste o' time compared to running a malware scan. +1 on Kaspersky by the way.

Also,

>IN THE CLOUD
>THEY'VE GOT YOUR DATA

Colytic
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:13 pm

Colytic wrote:
Sicilian Hound wrote:much more easier to do what you want then reset after a month or two once it starts slowing down lmao.

Huh - what - no - a month? Windows shouldn't slow down even in years if ya take care of it. A reinstall...blimey. Waste o' time compared to running a malware scan. +1 on Kaspersky by the way.

Also,

>IN THE CLOUD
>THEY'VE GOT YOUR DATA

Colytic
Hey, he said "online", nothing more. For all we know, he could be hosting his own server and backing up his pictures on there. Just give him the benefit of the doubt.

Really, though, how evil do you think these "cloud hosters" are? It's practically impossible to look through every picture uploaded and look for.... what would they be looking for anyway?! It's just your personal pictures.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:58 pm

Colytic wrote:

I have jack S**t on my computer other then Firefox, and a few games. But I do lots of things on the World Wide Web. Also you have to much faith in windows (Microsoft) They are deigned to die and slow down in a year or so. So you can either A: go out and buy a new one. BTW that is all major technology company. or B: Send it to a repair shop like best buy or where ever people take there computers now a days to get them fixed, because they are to dumb to either A: Take care of it. or B: Simply take time to read up and find a way to fix a computer. Because it is way way way way way way more easier now a days to fix a windows computer. Its child's play.
-SH
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:02 pm

NeatNit wrote:Really, though, how evil do you think these "cloud hosters" are? It's practically impossible to look through every picture uploaded and look for.... what would they be looking for anyway?! It's just your personal pictures.

Going for a double post :lol:

I find them quit convenient to upload photos online and have them safe where its 99.99 percent impossible for anything to happen to them there and if anything douse happen to my files you get "compensation" $$$ So its a win win. But I mainly put important files on a Flash Drive and put them in my fire, water, and anything proof safe lol.
-SH
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:44 pm

NeatNit wrote:Hey, he said "online", nothing more. For all we know, he could be hosting his own server and backing up his pictures on there. Just give him the benefit of the doubt.

Really, though, how evil do you think these "cloud hosters" are? It's practically impossible to look through every picture uploaded and look for.... what would they be looking for anyway?! It's just your personal pictures.

Just kidding. And things like photos aren't nearly as useful as text - personal files etc - I would never give over.

Sicilian Hound wrote:Also you have to much faith in windows (Microsoft) They are deigned to die and slow down in a year or so. So you can either A: go out and buy a new one. BTW that is all major technology company. or B: Send it to a repair shop like best buy or where ever people take there computers now a days to get them fixed, because they are to dumb to either A: Take care of it. or B: Simply take time to read up and find a way to fix a computer. Because it is way way way way way way more easier now a days to fix a windows computer. Its child's play.

It's not faith; it's experience :P And do you have any evidence for 'designed to die'? Windows is a lot more feature heavy than something like Ubuntu. I also think (this is somewhat un-based, although I follow Raymond Chen's 'The Old New Thing') Microsoft engineers take pride in their work.

Colytic
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:01 am

Colytic wrote: It's not faith; it's experience :P Microsoft engineers take pride in their work.

Most people are "dumb" "ignorant" when it comes to Computers. Its basically designed for the mass to slow down and give out after a few. So they go out and buy a new version that they made. I don't care what you think its exactly how I just said it. Yes they may take great pride in there work but, do they ever put software or programs that will be able to take care of the computer itself so people don't have to, NO. No they do not.
-SH
Trollitito
level1
level1

Postby Trollitito » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:45 am

Sicilian Hound wrote: much more easier to do what you want then reset after a month or two once it starts slowing down lmao.

Sicilian Hound wrote:They are deigned to die and slow down in a year or so.

Interesting... Because my windows 7 x64 was installed 3 years ago. At May of 2010, i installed it and so far never needed any format and didn't feel any slowdown. So, in what do you based to say such things?

Because if you want to go on conspiracy stuff, what makes you think it is that safe to store your stuff online? It's even worst when it's sensible data. We could be talking about this all day long, Microsoft do this, Google do that, NSA and Prism bla bla and now they're coming on forums to check our conversation.

But to be honest i'm missing the point on this thread, i mean, since you said most people are "dumb, ignorant" when it comes to computers and you seem to know a lot about it (right?), why did you open this thread at first place? Do you need some help in something?

Don't get me rude, but since you know a lot about Windows and you're doing your own Firewall, why did you go on kitchens threads? Worst, how can you click on the links by accident? Even knowing you don't have any firewall or anything, shouldn't you have extra careful?

Even more: if you do a "factory reset" each month, why didn't you simply did one after you click on links? I mean, for a person that does it every month, doing it twice in a month isn't big deal, right?

I understand the part where these kind of things happen and people ask for help, but that's where they are willing to be helped. Not saying you're not, but you seem to have it all figured out, so i'm not seeing anything where we can help you because we won't open the links to check if it has virus to tell you. Since any other of our solution didn't worked for you, just do what you have to do and that's it, you're free to roll.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Why is what was supposed to be a simple help thread still going on?
Yes, that is a penguin with rabies. Deal with it.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:50 pm

Trollitito all I asked in for is to know if these links to this kitchen spam stuff virus "prone" everything else is a complete different discussion. :)
-SH

Return to “Introversion Lounge”