I can't access the source code.

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
0gb.us
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 pm
Contact:

I can't access the source code.

Postby 0gb.us » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:21 am

I bought access to the source code of Darwinia, Multiwinia, DEFCON, and Uplink in the Humble Bundle and used the key given there and my forum account information to register for access. However, the source code site isn't accepting my forum user name and forum password, and won't let me in. How do I fix this?
User avatar
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 6:22 pm
Location: London, UK

Postby John » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:21 am

You might need to change your password so that it doesn't include any HTML entities (e.g ' or & etc). Unfortunately the basic auth system we've got doesn't work with those characters yet.
0gb.us
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 pm
Contact:

Postby 0gb.us » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:28 am

John wrote:You might need to change your password so that it doesn't include any HTML entities (e.g ' or & etc). Unfortunately the basic auth system we've got doesn't work with those characters yet.


I just realized I made a mistake. I registered for the Prison Architect alpha stuff (such as the alpha forum and wiki) but not the source code access, which for some reason, I didn't realize was not the same signup. If actually signing up for the source code access doesn't work, I'll try changing my password as you suggested. I'm sorry to have bothered you about such a dumb mistake on my end.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just tried removing the ampersand from my forum password. It didn't work. There are no &, <, >, ", or ' in my password, but I still can't get in.
User avatar
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 6:22 pm
Location: London, UK

Postby John » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:51 am

Could you write an email to support@introversion.co.uk about the problem and we'll try to get you sorted out.
0gb.us
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 pm
Contact:

Postby 0gb.us » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:57 am

John wrote:Could you write an email to support@introversion.co.uk about the problem and we'll try to get you sorted out.


Okay, done.

EDIT: I was told to remove all non-alphanumeric characters from my password, which worked. It's really weird that the system doesn't function with those characters, and not having any in my password feels odd, but at least I can get in now.

Thanks!
TheXWolf
level2
level2
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2002 4:04 pm
Location: Ca. U.S.A. or Limbo, depends on soda intake.

Postby TheXWolf » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:27 pm

0gb.us wrote:EDIT: I was told to remove all non-alphanumeric characters from my password, which worked...
Thanks!


It's true, I usually use 1 or 2 in my pws, but they have a basic system that probably screws up with those,
since in html it has to be changed during processing. But hey, it works. 8)
Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun. - P.J. Rourke
0gb.us
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 pm
Contact:

Postby 0gb.us » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:58 am

TheXWolf wrote:
0gb.us wrote:EDIT: I was told to remove all non-alphanumeric characters from my password, which worked...
Thanks!


It's true, I usually use 1 or 2 in my pws, but they have a basic system that probably screws up with those,
since in html it has to be changed during processing. But hey, it works. 8)


I was using colons, semicolons, slashes, and the like. Those don't screw with XHTML (or HTML) in any way. I don't know what the cause is, but it isn't that. Only five (visible) characters mess with XHTML/HTML, and I wasn't using any of them.
User avatar
MAdMaN
level4
level4
Posts: 899
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:12 pm
Location: Manchester, England

Postby MAdMaN » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:03 pm

0gb.us wrote:I was using colons, semicolons, slashes, and the like. Those don't screw with XHTML (or HTML) in any way. I don't know what the cause is, but it isn't that. Only five (visible) characters mess with XHTML/HTML, and I wasn't using any of them.

The database is a SQL engine (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, etc.), which can have a lot more forbidden characters.
0gb.us
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 pm
Contact:

Postby 0gb.us » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:37 pm

MAdMaN wrote:
0gb.us wrote:I was using colons, semicolons, slashes, and the like. Those don't screw with XHTML (or HTML) in any way. I don't know what the cause is, but it isn't that. Only five (visible) characters mess with XHTML/HTML, and I wasn't using any of them.

The database is a SQL engine (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, etc.), which can have a lot more forbidden characters.


The password works correctly in the forum (even with all those special characters), so whatever database the password is being stored in, this isn't an issue with it. This could be because the database is hashed (it most likely is) or because the characters are being escaped. Whatever the limitation is, it is specific to the part of the site that houses the source code.

(To be clear, I'm not complaining about this, I'm just shooting down invalid theories as to why these characters are disallowed.)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests