Rts chess on the pa engine

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
User avatar
Jackdapantyrip
level2
level2
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 am

Rts chess on the pa engine

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:22 am

Yes it would be beautiful and smooth.. amen

Less accuracy tied to more velocity. (The pa flashlight angles for accuracy also?)

More damage tied to less velocity.

Health of player tied to speed.

Speed also tied to a %of damage/accuracy/velocity?

Rate of fire tied to accuracy/damage/health?

Should multiple levels be allowed in maps? If water is added should only certain units be able to traverse over the top with speed adjustments? Barriers added with the pa wall structure? Automated barriers or let the players put them up? No barriers only levels? Completely flat? Different maps I suppose.. It would be amazing to have an automated map that's different every time though and equal to everybody..

I enjoy the idea that after the first game is played with the units selected for each side.. The inverse game after would be played with you controlling the other players selection vs your selection..
:)

Balance.. ideas and flaming welcome
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:45 pm

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. It is as though you have been hanging out with Alan Sokal.

xander
User avatar
paktsardines
level5
level5
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:10 am
Location: Australia

Postby paktsardines » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:03 am

I don't think he's played chess before either...
User avatar
Colytic
level4
level4
Posts: 826
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: Somewhere outside London

Postby Colytic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:04 am

Wha-

Colytic
Deepsmeg
level5
level5
Posts: 6508
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:26 pm
Location: Register 2102
Contact:

Postby Deepsmeg » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:07 pm

-----------------------------------------------------------------
------------STANDARD IDIOT REPLY FORM (version 1.0.3)------------
------------------(check all boxes that apply)-------------------
Directed to:Jackdapantyrip
[X] Llama
[X] Clueless Newbie
[X] Lamer
[ ] Flamer
[ ] "Me too"-er
[X] Pervert
[ ] Geek
[ ] Spammer
[ ] Racist
[X] Freak
[ ] Fundamentalist
[ ] Satanist
[X] "Expert"
[ ] Pool of Slime
[ ] Redneck
[ ] Shameless Punk
[X] Twit
[ ] Wannabe
[X] Dumbass
[X] Waste of Skin
[ ] Other:

You Are Being Flamed Because:
[X] You obviously don't know anything about the topic at hand
[ ] You posted a ?False Advertisement? post.
[ ] You posted something involving legal crap.
[ ] You quoted an ENTIRE post in your reply
[X] You started a stupid thread
[ ] You continued spreading a long, stupid thread
[X] Your lack of understanding of the fundamentals is disgusting
[ ] You posted a racist message
[ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message
[X] You posted low-IQ flamebait
[ ] You said "X rules, Y sucks" and gave no support for your lame statement
[ ] You said "me too" to something
[X] You make no sense
[X] You made a post yet failed to say anything
[ ] Your sig
Image
User avatar
Colytic
level4
level4
Posts: 826
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: Somewhere outside London

Postby Colytic » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:20 pm

I think perhaps refuelling should be a function of velocity. This seems, to me at least, the most balanced. Clive Jones did some very interesting work on inverse-proportionally interdependent variables in strategy games; if you take a look at some of his work you'll note just how complex each game is.

I think perhaps non-amphibious units should be able to traverse water but only very slowly to create tactical bottlenecks.
User avatar
Jackdapantyrip
level2
level2
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 am

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Colytic wrote:I think perhaps refuelling should be a function of velocity. This seems, to me at least, the most balanced. Clive Jones did some very interesting work on inverse-proportionally interdependent variables in strategy games; if you take a look at some of his work you'll note just how complex each game is.

I think perhaps non-amphibious units should be able to traverse water but only very slowly to create tactical bottlenecks.


Interesting, refueling is an interesting concept. Thanks for contributing.

Do you have any good links for the Clive Jones info? I'm looking for it but not finding much.
User avatar
NeatNit
level5
level5
Posts: 2929
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Postby NeatNit » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Jackdapantyrip wrote:
Colytic wrote:I think perhaps refuelling should be a function of velocity. This seems, to me at least, the most balanced. Clive Jones did some very interesting work on inverse-proportionally interdependent variables in strategy games; if you take a look at some of his work you'll note just how complex each game is.

I think perhaps non-amphibious units should be able to traverse water but only very slowly to create tactical bottlenecks.


Interesting, refueling is an interesting concept. Thanks for contributing.

Do you have any good links for the Clive Jones info? I'm looking for it but not finding much.
I wish I could mark this thread as favorite just about now. :lol:
Deepsmeg
level5
level5
Posts: 6508
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:26 pm
Location: Register 2102
Contact:

Postby Deepsmeg » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:04 pm

This
Image
NoOpen
level1
level1
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:10 am

Postby NoOpen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:49 pm

e4 e5 Nf3 CHECKMATE!
User avatar
Jackdapantyrip
level2
level2
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 am

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:14 pm

I suppose if we're talking refueling variables we should also consider ammo variables..

Less ammo / More damage
Deepsmeg
level5
level5
Posts: 6508
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2002 1:26 pm
Location: Register 2102
Contact:

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:28 am

[X] You continued spreading a long, stupid thread
Image
User avatar
Jackdapantyrip
level2
level2
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 am

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:34 am

Deepsmeg wrote:[X] You continued spreading a long, stupid thread


Your posts are so boring.. It's like you gave up trying to be witty..
User avatar
Colytic
level4
level4
Posts: 826
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: Somewhere outside London

Postby Colytic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:25 am

Jackdapantyrip wrote:Interesting, refueling is an interesting concept. Thanks for contributing.

Do you have any good links for the Clive Jones info? I'm looking for it but not finding much.


Sorry for the late reply. I'm having trouble locating it too. Most of his work was done in the nineties (he became a monk shortly after) but I'm not sure why there is so little trace of him. I'll keep looking.

Also, I think we need a trade-off between accuracy and rate-of-fire - unconventional, but maybe interesting.

Colytic
User avatar
Jackdapantyrip
level2
level2
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 am

Postby Jackdapantyrip » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Colytic wrote:
Jackdapantyrip wrote:Interesting, refueling is an interesting concept. Thanks for contributing.

Do you have any good links for the Clive Jones info? I'm looking for it but not finding much.


Sorry for the late reply. I'm having trouble locating it too. Most of his work was done in the nineties (he became a monk shortly after) but I'm not sure why there is so little trace of him. I'll keep looking.

Also, I think we need a trade-off between accuracy and rate-of-fire - unconventional, but maybe interesting.

Colytic


Yeah I like the accuracy and rate of fire.. You can have your run and gun types and also have your precise every shot counts type of player..

The refueling/distance traveled is a fun thought to tie in also being that the player rushing could go for the win early in the game and if skilled enough could pull it off.. depending on the other players set up of course.

He became a monk? A fun video game movie concept I suppose.

Also adding mass to the projectiles so you could bend shots around / put smaller projectiles in orbit around the 'massive' shot could be interesting.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests