Are pointless polls annoying?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Well, are they?

Yes
19%
No
14%
Meaningless third option
43%
They provoke admin abuse
24%

Total votes: 21
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:22 am

Partly. In the US? Of course. In the UK? Less likely due to the bill I mentioned, but still plausible.

Legally the US, UK and Australia aren't allowed to monitor their citizen's communications without a court order. That's why there are arrangements in place to monitor each other's communications.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:44 am

Many people don't realize that military and national security is pretty much above the law. Safety first, after all.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:05 pm

NeatNit wrote:Many people don't realize that military and national security is pretty much above the law. Safety first, after all.
It should not be that way. Freedom first. We sacrifice safety for lesser things, like individual motorized transportation. It may be different in your country, but here in Germany, many more people die on the road than those five or seven (it's the official communication that varies) terrorist attacks the massive communication surveillance allegedly somehow helped prevent could have ever killed.
Sildaekar
level2
level2

Postby Sildaekar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:32 pm

NeatNit wrote:Many people don't realize that military and national security is pretty much above the law. Safety first, after all.

National Security? Sadly....Yes
Military? No....Posse Comitatus

(Speaking for USA only)
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:17 pm

paktsardines wrote:
Partly. In the US? Of course. In the UK? Less likely due to the bill I mentioned, but still plausible.

Legally the US, UK and Australia aren't allowed to monitor their citizen's communications without a court order. That's why there are arrangements in place to monitor each other's communications.

In the UK we've only had the 'Snooper's Charter' which was vetoed by the Liberal Democrats/. GCHQ have been officially cleared of using PRISM to circumvent UK law, but I am not convinced to be honest. But America has had shady communication surveillance that's endured for years (eg, FBI warantless wiretapping). Not sure about Australia.
Sildaekar
level2
level2

Postby Sildaekar » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Colytic wrote: America has had shady communication surveillance that's endured for years (eg, FBI warantless wiretapping). Not sure about Australia.

Thank you Patriot Act! :roll:
LucilleBirkholz
level0

Re: f

Postby LucilleBirkholz » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:29 am

microchip08 wrote:But Opera durn't respect t'freedoms! Mozilla seems to keep end-user privacy and security to heart; I'm less sure about any of the other mainstream browser developers.

As for polls:

microchip08 wrote:Previous polls:

Some of them were less annoying than others. I miss the weekly polls that started some interesting discussions.

I also miss the weekly polls, I was able to learn a lot from everyone's opinion.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”